2008 - Swimming + Cutting = Getting Ready For Summer - Page 2 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 01-07-2008, 04:06 PM
Vamoose should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Default Starting Point

Weighed myself yesterday morning at 193. Goal is to lose 1 pound a week through January and February to reach 185. Will then maintain weight throughout March and focus on peaking for competition.

First training session starts today. Looking forward to it although I have a feeling this first week is going to be brutal in terms of DOMS.
"Do not make the mistake of limiting your practices to any one set of lifts...Practice everything...single and double-handed lifts, snatching and swinging, jerking and pressing, lying down with weights, supporting weights, lifting weights while laid on the back, ring weights, human weights, and, if possible, double-handed lifts to the knee, and harness lifts, also holding the bell aloft and bringing a weight after with the disengaged hand." ~ Arthur Saxon
Old 01-07-2008, 09:58 PM
Middleweight

Default M -- January 7th

Pull-ups: 5, 4, 3
Side Press: 65 x 5, 5, 5
1.5in Platform Deadlifts: 295x5, 315x5, 335x5
Bench Press: 165x8, 175x8, 185x6
Curls: 75 x 6, 6, 4
Ab work: 2 sets

Productive first day back. Platform deadlifts served their purpose as I was feeling it in my quads. DOMS should be bad tomorrow morning. Will go for a pre-breakfast walk tomorrow morning to loosen the hamstrings and back up.
"Do not make the mistake of limiting your practices to any one set of lifts...Practice everything...single and double-handed lifts, snatching and swinging, jerking and pressing, lying down with weights, supporting weights, lifting weights while laid on the back, ring weights, human weights, and, if possible, double-handed lifts to the knee, and harness lifts, also holding the bell aloft and bringing a weight after with the disengaged hand." ~ Arthur Saxon
Old 01-08-2008, 10:05 PM
Middleweight

Default T -- January 8th

DOMS not as bad as I had anticipated which is nice. Did a half hour walk before breakfast this morning and an hour walk this afternoon.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:06 PM
Middleweight

Default Plan Changes...Again

Received a surprise series of emails today which have led me to receiving a graduate assistant position for the winter semester. This is great news but it looks like I will be teaching class from 3 to 3:50 on Monday and Wednesday when weightlifting at the high school occurs. Getting a late start after 4 does not give me much time to eat and prepare for night class at 6 and since the high school is the only facility where I can deadlift it looks like Monday's workout is going to have to switch to Friday and Friday's workout is going to have to switch to Monday morning. Wednesday is going to need to be altered. I seriously doubt my ability to do a KB swing workout just 48 hours after KB snatches and RDL's.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:47 PM
Middleweight

Default W -- January 9th

45 minute walk in the morning

Weighed in at just under 190 after breakfast. However, was on a different scale than the one which I weighed out at 193 before this week. Also, may not have been fully hydrated. Regardless, it looks like my weight is headed in the right direction.

Wide Grip Chin-ups: 6,5,4
Pull-downs: 70 x 3 sets (about 11 each)
Partial Pull-downs: 45 x 3 sets (about 12 each)

Bar-bell Shrugs: 135 x 3 sets (about 11 each)
ss w/
Dumb-bell shrugs: 55 x 3 sets (about 6 each)

1H KB swings: 10(3)
ss w/
Leg raises: 4lb medicine ball 5(3)

2H KB swings: 20(3)
ss w/
Crunches: 8lb medicine ball 10(3)

Didn't really test this workout before the break so I was not sure how it would turn out but things went really well. The DOMS left over from Monday's workout did not affect any of the work I did today. The kettlebell work at the end was brutal as kettlebell work always is, but all in all this was a nice, easy mid-week workout. Hopefully I am free of DOMS and ready for what should be a brutal workout on Friday.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:34 PM
Middleweight

Default Exciting Day

Today is an exciting day for me. Finishing up my first week of training this afternoon. Got paid yesterday so I'm taking an overdue visit to GNC to buy some casein protein, ZMA, and fish oil. Today is high GI day. Got some orange crush to drink and some snack packs to eat after my workout. Met up with some friends last night at the bar. Successfully turned down free food and beer. Enjoying being a focused and determined person again.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:39 PM
Boka should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

Default Re: Exciting Day

[ QUOTE ]
Today is an exciting day for me. Finishing up my first week of training this afternoon. Got paid yesterday so I'm taking an overdue visit to GNC to buy some casein protein, ZMA, and fish oil. Today is high GI day. Got some orange crush to drink and some snack packs to eat after my workout. Met up with some friends last night at the bar. Successfully turned down free food and beer. Enjoying being a focused and determined person again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good stuff Vamoose! Congrats on the GNC excursion. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Certified Personal Trainer
Certified Kettlebell Instructor
Level 1 Crossfit Instructor
Old 01-11-2008, 10:03 PM
Middleweight

Default F -- January 11th

KB press: 6(4)
KB snatch: 5(8)
RDL: 185x10, 205x10, 225x10
Bench Press: 165x8, 175x8, 185x6 (failed on 7th)
Bodyweight rows: 3 sets (about 10 each)
Curls: 75 x 6,6,4+(1 cheat curl)
Leg raises: 3 sets w/ 8lb medicine ball

Great workout. Dragged things out a bit as coaching opportunities presented themselves and I got caught up in a few conversations. One was with a bodybuilder named Eric Mason located here in Marquette, MI. Complimented me on my deadlifting form which was great to hear.

Flew through my kettlebell work. For presses I had enough gas to keep the lifting continuous. When I finished 4 presses with the left I would swing the kettlebell, switch hands, clean it to the shoulder, and press with the right. Back and forth I went without the kettlebell touching the ground. Kept the snatch sets continuous as well. Kept the kettlebell at lockout only long enough to stabalize it. No lockout breaks today.

Only problem with this workout was I forgot my shot loading stuff for bench press and curls. However, got the 6th rep on bench press a lot easier today. Curls however suck. I think I should drop things down to 65 because 4 reps on the 3rd set ain't cutting it.

Looking forward to eating some sugar now and stretching out those hamstrings so I can hopefully walk tomorrow.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:35 PM
Middleweight

Default TSC Goals

I've got them in my head, but I figured it would be a good idea to put my competition goals in ink.

Bodyweight: 185
Deadlift: 425
Pull-ups: 10
KB snatches: 100
Placing: Upper half

Feels good to get those down. If I hit all 5 I will be a happy man.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:36 AM
Middleweight

Default T -- January 15th

KB press: 6(4)
KB snatch: 5(9)
Pull-ups: 3 sets
Pull-downs: 3 sets
Partial pull-downs: 3 sets
Bar-bell shrugs: 135 x 3 sets
ss w/
Dumb-bell shrugs: 3 sets
Bench Press: 165x6, 175x6, 185x8
Curls: 65x7,7,6
Abs: 3 sets

Had to put this one off until 8pm due to school commitments. The kettlebell work went well because I'm always in the mood for that. The rest sucked with the exception of bench press. Took it easier on the warm-up sets and smoked past 6 all the way to 8 on the last set.

Skipped pre-breakfast cardio the past 2 days so I better get my (!@#$%^&*) in gear tomorrow. Diet just has me completely exhausted when I wake up. Feel fine once I get going but I cannot drag myself out of bed. Going to try putting my competition goals in view next to my bed.

Need to take serious care of my hands the next few days. Wripped open blisters below the calluses on both the left and right hands at the base of the middle and ring fingers. This is what happens when you're restricted to using kettlebells inside and have to use chalk to guarantee the safety of those around you.