Tanuki - Rekindling my passion - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 12-02-2007, 07:14 PM
Tanuki is back!
Middleweight

Default Tanuki - Rekindling my passion

Hi everybody. I doubt anyone here remembers me, as I have not been on ABC in ages! Let me give you all an overview of my personal story.

Let's go back to all the way to the summer of 2002. I had just turned 17 and was fed up with being the chubby loner kid in school. I came across ABC and also AST Sport Science's website where I'd read the journals of natural bodybuilders Jeff Willet and Skip LaCour each and every day. I didn't have all the knowledge in the world when it came to training, but what I did know I dedicated myself to 100%. I would NEVER miss a workout, NEVER miss a meal, even if that meant I had to skip some fun times with friends; I was so dedicated that my high school crush could have asked me to here house (this happened) and I made sure I brought some whey and oatmeal without a second thought.

Going on 18, I decided I wanted to enter a bodybuilding contest like my idol Jeff Willet. Let me tell you, I stuck to a rigid schedule of workouts, cardio, stretching (I wanted to hit the splits on stage), and again I let absolutely nothing interfere with my goals. I was in my first year of college and there was plenty of fun to be had, but I just wasn't interested. Bodybuilding consumed my every thought practically.

About 14 weeks into what was to be a 20 week preparation I hit a snag. The same girl I mentioned earlier and I had been dating, and all of a sudden she just wasn't interested any more and she moved on to somebody else. Maybe this was my fault for being so bodybuilding focused, though I always thought I was pretty normal other than my meal schedule. Anyway, to tell you the truth I was pretty crushed, and in the past I've always been an emotional eater, so guess what happened? I started binging on all my comfort foods and after this happened a few times I knew I couldn't bring my A game to the contest. I dropped out with about 5 weeks left in my prep.

Gosh, I wasn't the biggest guy obviously with only a year or so training, but I was in the best condition of my life. I was ripped and I have to admit I loved that look. Before I allowed my love life to affect me so much, I was feeling at an all time high despite the low calories and demanding training schedule.

Fast forward to now, 2007 and I'm 22 years old. My social life is a lot better, I've had a wonderful girlfriend for over a year, I have great friends, I don't have a great job (though it pays somewhat well), and though I never went past my freshman year of college I decided to pursue my childhood dream of being a professional wrestler, which I've been doing for about two years now. To tell you the truth I have a lot of blessings that I'm very thankful for and very happy with.

However, the one thing I haven't been able to get back in 5 years is that mental state, the laser like focus on my goals and my body. I can't tell you how many times I've started a diet since 2002 and just can't stick it out. I have been displeased with my body for 5 years, but yet I can't seem to get my butt in gear, no matter how many motivational books I read or bodybuilding DVD's I watch.

If anyone thinks they can see the psychological root of all my problems that would be awesome, but the reason I'm here today is to kick off a training journal that will allow the whole ABC community to observe my efforts to rekindle my passion and regain my results. I'm here to be held accountable not only to myself, who is usually all too lax, but to everyone in this forum.

I greatly appreciate all and any support, advice, criticisms, reality checks...whatever you guys have for me I want to hear it.

Thanks for reading, I will post my workout plan, stats, goals, etc soon.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:36 PM
Tanuki is back!
Middleweight

Default Re: Tanuki - Rekindling my passion

Alright, I'll probably add to this post later today and tomorrow, but I just want to throw out some of stats and whatnot.

Like I said, I'm 22, 6 feet tall, and my weight fluctuates from 220 to 230 pounds depending on my hydration, food intakes, clothing (haha), etc.

I'll post some pictures as soon as possible, as I know that is what everybody wants to see, but to give you an idea of my body I have pretty thick legs and calves (though they've shrunk a bit resulting from a bad ankle sprain a couple months back), I have a wide waist/tiny seat I'd say, definitely have a soft midsection with a spare tire, but other than that I am solid. My legs are pretty lean, torso other than the midsection is okay (though not stellar). My best body parts are my thighs, chest, and maybe calves. Back is good I think but you'll have to be the judge when I get pics. I've always thought my arms are lacking size, maybe because they are long. I'd love more shoulder and neck/trap mass.

More to come.

----------------------------------

First edit - 1:10 pm PST

Alright, training plan, nutrition plan, and supplement regimen are still yet to be planned, but I hope to make a post covering all that tonight.

I kind of had a slow start today. Slept in and didn't have any food for an hour or so after I got up (bad, I know). I had some coffee with probably too much cream, but at least no sugar. About a half hour later I had around 40g of protein from a blend product mixed in water, a couple scoops psyllium fiber (about 6g of fiber), 5g creatine, a multi-vitamin, and some joint support supplements I take a few times each day. A half hour after this I did some interval cardio and here are the numbers for that.

<font color="blue">Dec 2nd- Interval cardio on eliptical </font>
Time: 30 minutes
Calories: 599.9
Total strides: 5318
Number of intervals: 7

The way I perform cardio is to start off with a 5-6 minute warm-up at level 3 on the machine, then I'll go all out for 1 minute ate level 7 for 30 seconds, level 8 for 20, and level 9 for 10. Then I drop back down to level 3 for 2 minutes, then repeat the 1 all out minute. It isn't overly scientific, but it gets me huffing and puffing. The key I think will be to strive for better numbers each time.

After my cardio I had to make due with what I had available in the house right now, which was a serving of pasta with a little meat sauce, a lean beef pattie (only 5g of fat), a couple tablespoons of peanut butter with some carrots, and 5 apple cider vinegar tablets, though with the PB and beef fats the GI should be pretty low anyway.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:16 PM
bigpapa2126 should change his/her status!
Rookie

Welcome bro. Like you, I also fell off the horse due to personal situations in my life. And like you, I decided to start an abc journal for countless reasons. I wish you the best of luck and i'll be keeping up with your journal. Solid.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:06 PM
Tanuki is back!
Middleweight

<font color="red">Dec. 3rd, 8:00 am </font>

Alright, I just got up about 30 minutes ago and soon I will be performing 45 minutes of cardio at a low-moderate intensity. Again I had a protein shake in water, fiber, 2.5g of creatine, a multi, and my joint supps upon waking.

I want to admit to you guys that last night I had a farewell party for my bad eating habits, so hopefully I don't get flamed for it, but if I do I certainly understand! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I had some pizza and chocolate cream pie around dinner time. My goal and hope is that it will be the last dirty thing I eat until the 15th. I want to go a dozen days clean!

I'm hoping to get in the gym before work tonight for a back, traps, and biceps workout, or maybe chest, triceps, and shoulders. With my schedule right now I think 3 days in the gym might be as best I can do, but I'll certainly be making them count. Today's challenge will be making the time since I have to pick some friends up from the airport at 10:30 (long drive), take my girlfriend to work at 2:30, and get myself to work at 3:00. I also really need to grocery shop today so we'll see what happens, but I'll try my best.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:54 PM
Tanuki is back!
Middleweight

So, my schedule varies every week so it isn't possible for me to have a concrete schedule sometimes. One thing that is a constant is that I should always have the time to hit some cardio in the morning (shooting for 4-5 sessions per week), and that 3 days a week I should be able to get in my weight training either before or after dropping my girlfriend off at work. (My boss is usually okay with me coming in at 4:00, so if I subtract the transit time it gives me about an hour to lift.) My weight training will be an upper body pull day, and upper body push day, and a lower body day in no particular order yet.

I need to develop a more concrete nutritional plan, but just here is what I have in my mind so far.
--------------
UPON WAKING (if performing cardio)
Approx 40g of protein from protein blend mixed with water
Approx 6g fiber from sugar-free Metamucil-type product

BREAKFAST (either upon waking or after cardio if applicable)
1/2 cup oatmeal with yogurt and blueberries
4 whole eggs and
1 scoop whey protein

OTHER MEALS (every 3-4 hours)
1 cup cooked Basmati rice
Mixed vegetables
Handful of sliced almonds
2 turkey or lean beef burgers

Sometimes at work I may have rice, chicken souvlaki, and Greek salad (it's free after all)

PRE-WORKOUT
Creatine/carb combo
Whey protein

POST-WORKOUT
Same as pre-workout, but higher carb

BEFORE BED
Mixed vegetables
2 turkey or lean beef burgers

MIDNIGHT MEAL (if I wake up)
Approx 40g of protein from protein blend mixed with water
Approx 6g fiber supplement

SUPPLEMENTS
Glucosamine and chondrotin (3 times daily)
Tumeric and bromelian (3 times daily)
Fish oil (1 tbsp 3 times daily)
Multi-vitamin (1 or 2 times daily)
Creatine (5-10g daily)
Apple cider vinegar (equivalent of 25ml take with every meal, excluding first meal of the day and pre/post-workout meals)
I'd like to add BCAA's and beta alanine when the funds become present
Old 12-07-2007, 10:12 PM
STEVEsteveSTEVE should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Hi Tanuki, good to hear you are getting back into things! I remember you when i used to be more of an active member a few years ago.

Anyways, it sounds to me that you need some motivation! I can tell the only thing that has worked for me in the past:

Having a workout partner! This is the only thing that has kept me honest in the gym for a long period of time. If you find a devoted workout partner that can keep you from missing workouts and push you in the gym, it makes all the difference! Plus, then you have someone that notices your progress and can help you with spotting and all that good stuff.

(Personally, when my workouts are being done at 100%, i make sure i eat all my healthy meals and don't miss supplements, or i feel like i am cheating myself and neglecting the hard work i do. If that approach works for you, great!)

Good luck to you!

P.S Good Advertising :P

"Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder, but don't nobody want to move no heavy-([---]) weights!"
Old 12-13-2007, 06:43 PM
Tanuki is back!
Middleweight

Hey guys. First off, so sorry for lack of updates! I've had a very busy work schedule. I'll be totally honest with you guys and I'm not going to hide anything; I've had a few pretty intense weight workouts (unfortunately didn't get to record them) and a few good cardio sessions, but MY DIET HAS BEEN AWFUL! I'm up to 235 pounds roughly, and one day I felt pretty good, but past couple of days I'm looking at myself disgusted and feeling sooo soft. I feel I need to get down to 215-220 and leaner.

I have a wrestling show tomorrow night and then an early am flight on Saturday. I'll be in a hotel a couple of nights, but I've decided to pay the hefty $15 drop-in fee the days I'm there and have a couple of great workouts.

I'm out of town visiting my family from the 15th to Jan 2nd. My goal is to keep the cheating down to a minimum (will probably have a few dirty meals during my hotel stay, but I'll also be weight training and an hour or more of cardio those days) with the exception of some holiday meals. I will be stuck eating out a bit, but I will try to choose the cleanest options. My hope is that this days whi le I'm back home with my family I can resurrect some of my goodhabits from the past.

That's all for now!