Boney friggin elbows...help please - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Hardcore Training

Notices

Old 11-09-2007, 03:46 AM
neater22 is not a stranger
Stranger

Default Boney friggin elbows...help please

I have a naturally skinny frame and with that some very boney elbows. I assume forearms and maybe lower tricep exercises would build some mucsle around the elbow. I was wondering if this will help and if not could you please describe which muscles need to be addressed or if there is even anything that can be done.

Also some particular exercise examples would be appreciated [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:53 PM
over eater should change his/her status!
Rookie

Default Re: Boney friggin elbows...help please

The elbow is all bone, you're not going to be able to build muscle over that. Just build bigger arms and no ones going to be looking at your elbows.

"You cannot dream yourself into a character: you must hammer and forge yourself into one."
Henry D. Thoreau

"Those that make the best use of their time have none to spare."
Thomas Fuller
Old 11-09-2007, 04:53 PM
yne05 should change his/her status!
Stranger

Embrace your tiny joints. Bodybuilding is all about illusions. The smaller your joints are, the larger your muscles will appear.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:29 AM
Birthright1 is The Master Blaster PUMP Master
Light-Heavyweight

Weighted dips
Reverse grip tricep curls
Close grip bench press
With heavy weight and lots of food of course.
Lo, they do call to me
They bid me take my place among them in the Halls of Valhalla
Where the brave may live
Forever.

"Either you lift it or you don't."
Jesse Dawson Marunde
Old 11-12-2007, 07:04 PM
Wild Man should change his/her status!

There was a really good point made in a prior post "Bodybuilding is all about illusions.". If you look at how the muscles of the arm are structured close to the elbow there appear to be a couple of muscles that tend to have significant muscle right up to the elbow. The brachialis of the forearm and the inner head of the tricep. You could focus some extra effort in developing these two muscle heads to try and mask any short comings you might have such as a short bicep head. Try hammer curls, reverse grip curls, or french bar curls for the brachialis. To target the inner head of the tricep do close grip bench presses, reverse grip cable extensions and kick outs. Alright so kick outs probably isnt the technical term for these lifts but my old buddies that taught me this lift who did time in jail used these and they are a great isolation movement for the tricep. Lie down on your bench with dumbell, position your elbow above your chin like you would if you were crossing your arms just higher. The dumbell should come to the opposite side of your body. Keep your elbow immobilized making sure that you keep your elbow centered over your body. You want the elbow to the center away from the shoulder to put more stress on the muscle. Lift the dumbell up to the locked position and hold it for a second at peack contraction. Get a good squeeze in at the top. Then lower it controlled back down. The cool thing about this lift is that you can use a supinated or pronated grip and really get some great isolation of each of the heads of the tricep. For all of these lifts really concentrate on getting a full range of motion. Come all the way down on the reverse grip curls and stretch that brachialis. Get tension on those muscles for the full range possible. Put these in your arsonal and put some meat on them bones around your bony elbow. Before long those hams will fill the gap I'm sure.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:10 AM
icehawk is .
Light-Heavyweight

Take up Muay Thai and put those daggers to good use!
Old 11-13-2007, 11:44 PM
neater22 is not a stranger
Stranger

Thanks a lot guys. Maybe there is hope for me afterall. It's kinda funny you mention the illusion theory because I think that may have been a large part of why people would always comment on the size of my arms (When I worked out hard in the past and was in my peak of course). I will definitely try some of the exercises you recommended.

Thanks for the vote of confidence guys

haha @ icehawk