An Example of the Undermining Effects of Rewards on IM - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Scientist Department > Psychology of Bodybuilding

Notices

Old 10-19-2007, 09:28 PM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

Default An Example of the Undermining Effects of Rewards on IM

The number one topic I studied during my masters degree in Sport Psychology was the effects of rewards on intrinsic motivation. You can read my articles on this subject under anatomy - psychology.

One of the main reasons I love following sports, is because I am constantly able to apply psychology principles I have learned to explain why people act, perform, and behave certain ways.

So if you guys have been monitoring the situation with the Yankees and Joe Torre. They recently offered him a contract. It was 2 million dollar pay cut, and incentive laden. Essentially, he had to go to the world series to get 3 million, and another year on his contract. Here was the Yankees rational for doing this:

"Under this offer, he would continue to be the highest-paid manager in major league baseball," team president Randy Levine said. "We thought that we need to go to a performance-based model, having nothing to do with Joe Torre's character, integrity or ability. We just think it's important to motivate people."

And here is where they made their mistake.

Essentially they went with the simplistic model of:

1 (intrinsic movitaion) + 1 (extrinsic motivation - performance contigent reward) = 2 more motivation.

But results show this is absolutely false.

If someone is intrinsically motivated to do something, which Joe Torre obviously is. Then the worst thing you can do to that individual is give them performance contingent rewards for doing their job. I am not going to go in detail; just read my articles if you want to learn why.

So I talked to Jake about this yesterday when this went down. And here is what Torre said today about why he declined the offer:

"I just felt the contract offer, the terms of the contract, were probably the thing I had the toughest time with -- the one year for one thing, the incentives for another thing," Torre said of his reasons for declining the offer. "I've been there 12 years and I didn't think motivation was needed."

You'd think that the richest team in baseball would have enough knowledge not to make such a bad move. If they actually were trying to motivate people, you'd think they would consult a psychologist. And if they did, they would have been told what hundreds of experiments have shown for over 3 decades now.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:23 PM
Adam Knowlden should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

Default Re: An Example of the Undermining Effects of Rewards on IM

Sounds like a journal article! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-29-2007, 07:22 PM
rickck48 is tryin harder!
Middleweight

Is this anything like a opposite reaction makes a different reaction? I'm lost,,,wow! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Goal: NOT there Yet, But haven't quit either!

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Old 10-29-2007, 09:12 PM

Its really not a difficult concept - that is why I love it so much. There are literally 4 things to memorize, and you can make predictions on so many different scenarios. Just check out my article - there are pictures and everything lol.

I taught a class on this once, and after 30 minutes of explaining, I asked the students to divide up into groups and make hypothesis on the effects of various scenarios on IM. They all made perfect predictions, according to this theory.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:45 PM
rickck48 is tryin harder!
Middleweight

I look forward to reading and studying this if you make a journal out of it! Sounds great and simple, as you explained it, but stil very curious. thanks for the time to share this with us. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Goal: NOT there Yet, But haven't quit either!

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Old 11-01-2007, 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if you make a journal out of it!

[/ QUOTE ]

I did in JHR. Take a look.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

Old 01-07-2008, 10:42 PM
Qester is looking forward to his cardio session tommorow
Light-Heavyweight

It may not have been obvious to them that Joe Torre was intrinsically motivated. I could see how it would be very easy to confuse an external mode of motivation (such as a large salary increase in the millions of dollars per year) for an internal mode of motivation. It may have been the Yankees belief that Joe was not intrinisically motivated, and if this was the case a performance increase would be expected.

"Obstacles are those frightening things that become visible when we take our eyes off our goals."
Henry Ford
Old 02-08-2008, 03:55 PM
klosey is 51 visitors online right now ! Let's get that number higher!!
Super Moderator

i could of understood saying we'll give you a million on top of current rate as an insentive but cutting his wage seems like cutting own nose off to spite face