Questions for Flowerkitty - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Old 09-27-2007, 03:20 PM
cat13pig should change his/her status!

Default Questions for Flowerkitty

I hope you can give me some guidelines to go by. First of all I am not a true bodybuilder. I would like to go beyond toning up and add some muscle mass. I currently work the upper and lower body twice a week. I do 3 sets for the upper body and 3-4 sets for the lower body. My rep range is usually 12, 10, 8, and 6. I eat a clean diet and I consume 1 gram of protein for each pound of body weight. I also take an Amino Shooter pre-workout and the post work shake post workout.

I am not interested in competing. I just want to gain some muscle mass especially in the lower body (glutes, thighs, and calves). Am I working in the right rep range? Should I be doing more or less sets? How many exercises per body part is too much or not enough? Here is an example of a lower workout:

-squats on smith machine 4 sets (12, 10, 8, 6). Adding weight with each set
-single leg squat same as above
-deadlift same as above
-leg press same as above
-cable kickbacks same as above
-calf raises same as above

Any advice or direction you can give me would be really helpful. For some reason I am making this harder than it has to be. I guess I donít want to over do it
and lose any muscle I already have because that would defend the goal I am trying to achieve.

Thanks for you help,
Cat [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 09-30-2007, 05:19 AM
flowerkitty should change his/her status!
Lightweight

Default Re: Questions for Flowerkitty

Hey Cat, sorry it took me so long to respond. I've been moving around quite a bit and I am curently out of town.

From afar it seems to me you are doing the right thing. I could easily see someone getting results with your training program. However, you say you want to gain muscle? Are you also trying to lose fat or keep fat off, or are you or have you aways been slim? If you tell me what you're doing isn't working for you I'll think two things: you're either not eating enough or you haven't given your program enough time to get noticeable results. This is assuming you are lifting heavy enough weights to reach some sort of failure in your workouts.

Honestly, I am better at giving advice for weight loss, since I have gone through many of the programs and regimens myself. I will tell you what I think, though.

I have two thoughts that are somewhat related when it comes to leg training. The first is work in a higher rep range. By that I mean instead of maybe working with 6-10, try to aim for 12-15, or 10-15 at first, if you're scared of going too light. The second is try sprinting. Do it as if it were weight training. Do the fastest you can go for about 30-60 seconds, then rest as if you did a set of an exercise, repeat. Here, instead of doing more reps, you'd do more sets. You can also do this with cycling.

I mention the above because some people have more fast twitch muscle fibers and some have more slow twitch. The latter resonds better to higher reps, since they have more endurance. I don't really believe in accurate muscle fiber testing, so in my opinion, I'd play around with rep ranges (dp 4-6 weeks to give each rep range a chance, though) until you find out what works for you.

One personal opinion. Move the deadlifts to back day. It'll provide a mini-workout for your legs when you do it. Instead, add romanian deadlifts to your program. I'd also replace cable kickbacks with lunges. If its too much, rotate exercises.

And other questions: how many days a week are you working out legs? If you have a cardio routine, what does it look like?