The Journey of a pHD bodybuilder - Train, Eat, and Think like a Pro! - Page 7 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 10-05-2007, 02:03 AM
Dzoni should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

Default Re: The Journey of a pHD bodybuilder - Train, Eat, and Think like a Pro!

Haha, Venom style!

I think fruit is great. I find using it helps me with my carb loading days plus I do not get the oatmeal/potato bloat kind of feeling. I use it for breakfast and at end of my off season last time around I started using it pre workout as well.

I think it would be a great idea to experiment with it. I haven't experienced a lot of negative results with it. But that's me. Everyone has their differences.

BTW, what is "eating oatmeal, Venom style"
Old 10-05-2007, 03:14 AM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

Default Re: The Journey of a pHD bodybuilder - Train, Eat, and Think like a Pro!

How do you feel it helps on the carb loads?

For my oatmeal, I first blend it, then I poor it in a bowl, and mix some splenda. I find blending it gives it a much more tastier texture, and it also allows you to put a lot more water in while maintaining a solid texture, increasing satiety. That is about it lol. :0
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:29 AM
Heavyweight

Sounds great. I like my sleep in, so mine is just normal oats with boiled water over the top. Boring!

I feel that the fruit provides me with the easy carbs. I don't have to eat 2 slices of bread or eat half a cup of oats. It's just a piece of fruit. Very hard for me to eat oats. It also doesn't bloat me like oats do [img]/forum/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Another thing I found with fruit, is that it stops my sweet tooth cravings.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:36 PM
Adam Knowlden should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

I love oatmeal...I tried it blended...it has a cream of wheat texture. Splenda really adds some flavor. Gabe, what food do you recommend adding to ensure you are getting adequate amounts of potassium in if one opts not to consume fruit? I've been supplementing with potassium.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:11 AM

My dad asked me that a while ago, so I did some research for him. Here were my findings.

Recommendations

These vary. I would say a minimum of 2 grams daily. And some recommend as high as 4.5 grams.

SUPPLEMENTS

- Over counter supplements, typically have 99 mg of potassium. So you would need to take 10 pills just to get 1000 mg; which is half of the minimum you should have.

Potassium in Foods

Based on this calorie counter, http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c20h1.html

- 1 Large sweet potato with skin 855 mg
- 1 large sweet potato without skin 500 mg potassium (skin is very important!)
- 200 calories of beans - 900 mg
- 20 calories of lettuce (about 1/5 of a head) 250 mg. 1 head has 1, 500 mg.
- 1 stalk of Broccoli 500 mg
- 1 apple 100 mg
- Spaghetti 70 mg per 150 cals
- 1 large banana 500 mg
- 100 calories shrimp 150 mg
- 220 calories chicken 50 mg
- 150 calories steak 250 mg
- 1 egg 70 mg
- 100 calories rice 70 mg
- 150 calories ground beef 270 mg potassium
- 1 cup cottage cheese 200 mg
- 200 calories halibut fish 500 mg potassium
- 200 calories Salmon fish 500 mg potassium
- 1 orange 250 mg
- 150 calories peanut butter 200 mg

Just type in a food if you want more. I looked up several sources, and it seems that this is pretty accurate. For instance, everyone says leafy greens and potatoes are super high in potassium.

Sample Meal plan

2 sweet potatoes (make sure you have the skin!) 1700 mg
200 calories of beans 900 mg
2 cups of spinach 500 mg
1 stalk of broccoli 500 mg

Total Potassium: 3500 mg

Conclusion

Potassium is very high in various of the foods we eat. Further, supplementation is not a very potent form of potassium. Therefore, I see no need to supplement, or even the need to modify your diet.

I would just make sure, that if you workout, opt for foods higher in potassium, such as sweet potatoes, leafy greens, and beans.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:23 AM

Tonight...

3 sets squats w/ leg extensions - 1 set 315 for the enhanced neural drive effect. Then 3 *12 at 285. Lighter day.
3 sets horizontal leg press w/ lying hamstring curls
BLOOD OCCLUSION TRAINING FOR THE REMAINDER, one leg at a time (only have one lp compression wrap; working on resolving that)
Leg press w/ standing hamstring curls w/ leg extensions - 5 sets
4 Giant sets on calves - leg press, standing calve raises, reverse tibialis raises

10 minutes of sprints on the recumbent - 45:15 rest to work ratio.

I have noticed that the recumbent works the glutes and hams a lot more than the upright bike. So to people that ask about this, that is my answer. The recumbent works the the glutes and hams more; the upright works the quads more.

Things are going phenomenal right now. When things are going like this, I have learned to stay defensively pessimistic. Because if I don't I let my guard down, and my program slips. It's like you hear from most athletes - don't let yourself get to high, or too low. Stay consistent. That is the key.

I swear, everything I ate last night when straight towards replenishing glycogen stores and increasing my metabolic rate. I noticed yesterday I was not metabolizing as many calories, I did not feel as energetic, and I was flatter than a burnt pancake. So last night I had a PW shake, then I think 2-3 cups of oatmeal and some steak and greens before bed. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

That may not seem like a lot to some of you dirty bulkers, but to me that was a kings ransom! One thing you will notice is that I did not cheat or go have a night out at a restaurant. I honestly so no efficacy to doing that except for gaining fat. People say, "I am cheating to my my metabolism higher" those foods are there are straight trash and will I guarantee they will make something higher - and it starts with an "F"! An argument to this is always that I have to cheat to keep my sanity. But that is not supported by any research. Satiety is like my favorite subject; if you are around me for 2 days you will hear me talk about it. And one of the most consistent findings in studies is that if you include variety in your diet, and consume highly pallitable foods, you will eat more - a lot more. So saying that eating a pizza with chocolate cake is going to improve your satiety is simply false. The other thing is that I can have 10 cups of oatmeal, and eat the same amount of calories that this person ate in a single meal. But I would be much more satisfied, as oatmeal has a much lower calorie density and is loaded with fiber.

SORRY about that...got on a soap box.

Ok, I'm back down to earth lol.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

Old 10-06-2007, 03:43 AM
Fahsy should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

Looks like you're doing great Gabe! I must have missed you in there tonight.

Did you see Layne tonight? He was also doing some occulsive training. I've decided to order some knee wraps and try some leg occulsion with them - if you have knee wraps you may think of trying that.

2-3 cups of oats is a lot! Oats are so filling it takes me about 15 minutes per cup to eat. I had to start having a blended oat shake in the morning because my breakfast was taking me 45 minutes to eat! LOL
Old 10-06-2007, 03:53 AM

Yes, they are very satisfying. I actually split that up into 3 meals. I only have a cup at a time and make a big bowl.

Yup, layne and I were both there training legs! He told me about those knee wraps, and I am going too order some, too! He was in serious pain when I saw him.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

Old 10-06-2007, 07:38 AM
Heavyweight

**** Venom. It's okay, bro. Just have a slice of cheesecake or something [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Haha!
Old 10-06-2007, 04:12 PM
Adam Knowlden should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

Thanks Gabe! That makes sense. I seemed to notice less cramping when I supplement with potassium. Maybe that was just placebo.I will gladly remove it from my supp regimien if you think I should though. That's one less pill I have to take! haha

[ QUOTE ]
Sample Meal plan

2 sweet potatoes (make sure you have the skin!) 1700 mg
200 calories of beans 900 mg
2 cups of spinach 500 mg
1 stalk of broccoli 500 mg

Total Potassium: 3500 mg

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I can do the beans and potatoes, but 2 cups of spinach and a stalk of broccoli... [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]! What do you do on your low carb days? Or is two potatoes ok during that time? During these phases I typically only have oatmeal and PW carbs, besides leafy veggies. What do you recommend?

Oregon recommends 4.7 grams (I'm not sure if this is trained or un-trained populations-could train populations require more?)...do you think this is excessive?

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocente...als/potassium/

Also, do you think there is any disadvantage to not having any fruit in the diet? I am just asking because this seems to defy all the current dietary recommendations were are told to adhere to for general health. I know a lot of recommendations are wrong though. What is your opinion?

I've learned so much from your journal Gabe. Thanks for taking the time to put all of this together! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]