The Journey of a pHD bodybuilder - Train, Eat, and Think like a Pro! - Page 4 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 09-20-2007, 10:26 PM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

Default Re: The Journey of a pHD bodybuilder - Train, Eat, and Think like a Pro!

Thanks for the encouregment, Adam.

I don't know much about the guy. Also, he's not a professor of mine; just a professor I am working with.

I came from a Kinesiology background, so I have no sympathy for excuses not to workout. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] My professors in my KPE department all had full time jobs, families, etc. and still made time to workout because they understand that working out is absolutely essential for human beings. We were made to move; so it will hinder every area in your life if you don't.

It's not like he needs to workout like me either lol.

Rich,

Thanks for stopping by! So what do you teach and at what level?
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:45 PM
CJB should change his/her status!
Rookie

Default Re: The Journey of a pHD bodybuilder - Train, Eat, and Think like a Pro!

Hey Venom,

Wow, you explaining how busy you are definitely gives me more perspective and probably to many people as well. I'm curious to see what a typical day is for you. Like step by step, nothing extremely detailed but like 6am meal 1, 7am workout, 9am be at the lab etc etc. In addition, do you prepare your meals for the whole week or day to day basis like every night you get home from lab you prepare meals for the next day?

thanks for your insight and sharing of your life,

CJB
Old 09-21-2007, 03:14 AM

Hey, bro!

Well, its been a struggle getting into a routine. I just moved up here a little over a month ago, and I'm just starting to get used to everything. But right now, here is a typical day.

First, if I can, I am trying to prepare as much as I can for the week on Sundays. But that did not work this week. So at nights, I set my gym clothes out, and school clothes out. I also put in my back pack some water bottles, a shaker bottle, pre-workout shake, then I keep oatmeal in the fridge, and put that in my back-pack before I go.

7:00 wake up, down a shake
7:30-8:30 - train. Usually a small body part and or cardio
9 - 10 class
10-12 - working in the lab
12-1 class
1-5:30 working in the lab. Before I leave, I get dressed for the gym and down a pre-workout shake. I tried going home first then going to the gym. But that wastes time, plus when I get home, its hard to leave! So I just go straight from lab to the gym now; works much better.
6-8 train

Rest of the night is spent on studies, bible study / prayer, and preparing for the next day. Because I have several exams, I basically take no breaks right now. I just take breaks between study periods because that is optimal for learning. Like right now my time on ABC I consider a mental break from my studies. But once I get more settled in, I would prefer to relax a little bit at night, and even hang out with friends. It's not optimal to work all day; but you have to do what you have to do during crunch time.

I'll discuss my diet in greater detail later.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:10 PM
Adam Knowlden should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

[ QUOTE ]
came from a Kinesiology background, so I have no sympathy for excuses not to workout.

[/ QUOTE ]

ha ha, testify bro.

[ QUOTE ]
It's not like he needs to workout like me either lol. .

[/ QUOTE ]

haha Yeah, I was going to ask how you're going to explain to your wife that you are going to work out for 3 hours every day and she can take care of the kids. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I haven't found a way to do this yet, which is why I'm still single.
[img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

What I have found is that you have to be extremely motivated to even want to get a PhD. Going through the application process myself right now, I can see why not too many people do this. There are so many hoops. If you're not totally motivated and really want it, it can get frustrating quick.

There are tons of these same barriers while you're in the program too, which explains why so many people I know complete the PhD course work and never finish the dissertation.

Basically everything about the PhD process is a weeding our process. If a individual is not 100% committed and motivated to obtaining a PhD they won't get through the process...and the PhD committee has plenty of tests in the way to ensure it.

I had a similar ephiphonie as you. Basically, I was getting frustrated, but realized all the application process is a test to see how bad you want it. Plus, it's a way to prepare you for the series of tests the you'll be facing throughout the entire program. I said the same thing to myself as you did. If I really want this, I'll can not look at this test as something to despise, but as a challenge. Once I establish something as a challenge in my mind, I won't stop at anything to allow defeat.

You have the perfect mindset (not to mention skill sets) for achieving your goal.

[ QUOTE ]
Well, its been a struggle getting into a routine. I just moved up here a little over a month ago, and I'm just starting to get used to everything. But right now, here is a typical day.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're doing great though!

[ QUOTE ]
First, if I can, I am trying to prepare as much as I can for the week on Sundays. But that did not work this week.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what your apartment conditions are like, but if you can I recommend getting a large grill. It's great because you can cook enough food to last for 2 weeks. Plus, while it's cooking you can do other things. After a few practices you'll have this down to a science. I normally prep all of my protein shakes for the week and all my supplement dosages for the week while I'm cooking. I also blast my radio which helps me keep in a groove.

What I do is contingency plan too. So, one weekend when you are really motivated, cook an extra weeks worth of food and freeze it. What that does is allow me to have a cushion in case I can't cook one weekend, or if I'm just not motivated to do it I have a back up supply of ready to eat quality protein. Another huge help is those new ready-to-eat brown rice packets. Uncle Ben's are the best. You just pop them in the mircowave and they're ready in 90 seconds. They're awesome too!

[ QUOTE ]
1-5:30 working in the lab. Before I leave, I get dressed for the gym and down a pre-workout shake. I tried going home first then going to the gym. But that wastes time, plus when I get home, its hard to leave! So I just go straight from lab to the gym now; works much better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perfect. I agree, I do the same thing!
Old 09-22-2007, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't found a way to do this yet, which is why I'm still single.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. That would not be possible. I certainly would not be able to perform at the level I am in any area of my life.

The pHD program is quite different than previous programs one goes through. In undergrad, you have to jump through hundreds of hoops. In other words, you have to do things and take tests that basically have no application to your life, other than the fact of weeding people out and building a great work ethic and motivation. My masters program was actually extremely fun; still some hoops, but I mostly loved the experience. What sucked was doing stuff to get into the pHD program.

The pHD program is much different. I don't take any class unless I want to take it because it is going to make me a great scientist. Its a very autonomous program, which is much more suited for me.

Undergrads, and many master students need more external regulators to stay motivated. But the higher you get in education, the more independent it becomes. If you made it to a pHD program, then it is assumed you are already self driven. So you are treated that way.

It's really fantastic. What I did not enjoy was the hundreds of worthless hours I spent making applications and taking the GRE, all to get here. I don't mind working hard; but if I don't feel its improving me and getting me closer to my goals - directly - then I get frustrated. It's not like that here; everything I do now is towards my goals of becoming a great scientists.

So honestly, my mindset for the past several years, like I said in the first post of this journal, was doing what it takes to get to this stage. I did not enjoy studying for the GRE, or making applications. But I did it because I knew it would get me to where I wanted to be. That's called integrated regulation, which is the most effective type of extrinsic motivation. But if you actually are intrinsically motivated to do that, that's obviously optimal. But I had a hard time doing that. I want to study protein; not memorize 500 words on the GRE lexion! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

So good luck with that bro haha. Just remember, it's all going to be worth it!

Thanks a lot for that advise on preparation! I'll definitely use that information.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

Old 09-22-2007, 04:36 AM
CJB should change his/her status!
Rookie

Hey Venom,

I've been obviously keeping up on your journal time to time, and you got me interested in about your pHD program, your workouts, and training thought-process. I'm curious and I'm unsure if you mentioned it before but what are your goals going into the pHD program? Once your done with your pHD, are you looking to be strictly into research as a scientist or what? I'm just curious what you can all do with a pHD that has emphasis on the study of protein. I can think of a few options but you probaby have many more to choose from than what I'm thinking.

thanks for your time,

Casey
Old 09-22-2007, 04:39 AM
Olympia Contender

Cool analysis! Thanks for sharing bro!

[ QUOTE ]
So good luck with that bro haha. Just remember, it's all going to be worth it!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the words of wisdom! I needed that! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-22-2007, 09:22 PM

Hey, Casey

I can do virtually anything with my career. My academic background is so comprehensive, that I will have a lot to offer. I have degrees in Kinesiology, emphasizing in various topics including nutrition, exercise physiology, sport psychology and motor learning. And now I am getting my pHD in nutrition, with an emphasis in protein metabolism. I think my broad background will allow me to be pretty successful. A lot of people that are just nutritionists or just psychologists often miss the big picture. So that is why I am really glad I got a degree in Kinesiology, which emphasizes that holistic perspective.

I don't know what I am going to do after this. I am open to whatever. It's going to be a while, so honestly, it's not my focus. Who knows what will happen between now and then.

My goal has always been to be a research scientist and do experiments for bodybuilding. So as far as I'm concerned, I'm doing what I want to do with my life right now - researching for bodybuilding.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

Old 09-23-2007, 01:22 AM

Today I did full upper body in the morning, except for back, which I just hit right now. I did explosive reps, light weight, moderate reps, short rest periods in the morning. At night I did super sets on back. My back was still pretty beat up from the last workout, so it did not take much to finish it off. I also did some abs, and front tibialis plate raises. I'm too tired to write the whole workout out. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I had a phenomenal pump this morning. Best I have had in I don't remember how long. I enjoyed the carb up today.

Things are really coming together. I had a great week. I am very happy that I get tomorrow off, because my body is very hurt.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

Old 09-23-2007, 04:14 PM
Olympia Contender

Hi Venom,

Here is a great back exercise you can try.

You use the assisted pull-up machine. I know people tend to think this machine is for weaklings, but I love it. It allows me to achieve very intense static contractions.

Here is what you'll do. Go to the assisted machine. I recommend setting it on a weight that will give you a little bit of extra help that you'll be able to achieve a stronger static contraction than if you were to just do a normal pull-up.

Now, put your knees on the pad. Put them as close to the far end of the pad as you can. You want your body positioned so that you can lean back as far as possible. The idea is you will have your body in a similar position as if you were doing a seated row. Why not just do a seated row? All I can say is pulling your body up as opposed to pulling the weight towards you creates a much harder static contraction IMO.

For each rep you do hold the top position for a 2 count. I alternate hand positions too. Usually I start with a wide-grip, then after failure, do the close-grip. This is really brutal.

I sent you an e-mail with a diagram of the exercise.