The Journey of a pHD bodybuilder - Train, Eat, and Think like a Pro! - Page 3 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 09-15-2007, 02:48 AM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

Default Re: The Journey of a pHD bodybuilder - Train, Eat, and Think like a Pro!

Really good leg workout today. I got to do part off it with Layne Norton who is a beast.

6-10 sets of leg extensions - I lost count here lol. Just very fast explosive reps, light weight, 10-15 reps per set. Very little rest between sets
6-10 sets seated hamstring curls - same as above.
5 sets half ROM horizontal leg press - very explosive, light weight. This was really good for my quads
5 sets feet low on leg press pad - really light (5 plates aside) fast reps, short rest periods. This targets the quads more.
3 sets feet high on pad leg press - to hit the hamstrings; same as above.

Then I started training with Layne. Did front smith machine squats for the first time ever. Really liked them. They are pretty hard on the biceps, delts, and my rectus femoris was really pre-fatigued. I went higher rep so I could learn the movement.

4 sets 10 - 2 plates aside
4 sets 10-12 reps on Reverse Hack Squat machine - 1 set 6 plates, 3 sets 7 plates aside. That sounds like a lot of weight, but you can just lift really heavy on this exercise, so its lots of fun!

Then I did 3 sets each off donkey calve raises and seated calve raises, with a strip at the end of each set.

Then stretching at the end.

Took close to 2 hours.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:34 PM
Fahsy should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

Default Re: The Journey of a pHD bodybuilder - Train, Eat, and Think like a Pro!

[ QUOTE ]
Really good leg workout today. I got to do part off it with Layne Norton who is a beast.

Took close to 2 hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

That says it all right there! You guys were definatly going hard last night.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:07 AM

Thanks, Chris! Boy am I paying the price today. My legs are really sore. I also have sore delts and biceps, and my back is a little sore.

Today I did abs/serratus in the morning, full upper body at night. Morning workout was:

4 sets cross bench one dumbbell pull-overs w/ lying leg raises
4 sets straight arm cable pull-downs w/ cable crunches
3 sets seated crunch machine

I was supposed to do some cardio, but I did not feel like doing it today and my legs were really sore. So I skipped. I lowered my calories a bit to compensate.

The night workout was very good. I did 10-15 reps, explosive speed, very little rest between sets. This is to improve my conditioning, vascularity, mitochondria, insulin sensitivity, and hopefully promote conversions of type I to type II fibers.

3 sets flat dumbbel bench 75 pounds
3 sets seated cable row machine
3 sets decline barbell bench 185 - decline bench does not work well for me. I love the exercise for hypertrophy, but it consistently promotes injuries. It puts quite a bit of compression forces on my neck, clavical and traps, and it also has caused some pec injuries. So I don't do this very often, and I go light when I do. Kind of frustrates me because you can go really heavy on this movement with practice, and I had gotten it up to a pretty good number. Oh well!

6 sets old school tibialis raises - I love this exercise!

3 sets smith machine upright rows - 25 on either side
2 sets of each off l-laterals, seated dumbbell cleans, front dumbbell raises
One arm at a time preacher curl machine 3 sets
3 sets seated tricep press downs
1 set each of wide grip pull-ups, close grip pull-ups, and seated wide grip lat pulldowns. Not super setted.
3 sets seated french dumbbell press 55 pound dumbbell w/ incline hammer dumbbell curls 35 pounders. I really liked this super set!
3 sets standing calve raise machine

Took about 70 minutes.

High volume workout, but thats by design. I can do a lot more volume with short rest periods, light weight, and explosive reps. So my workout density is higher. Also, today is my carb up day, so I like to take advantage of that extra fuel, and also promote an environment conducive to glycogen replenishment and minimal fat storage.

Tomorrow is a day off for me! I like the sound off that. I've tried to train 7 days a week, but it is just too much. I always end up fatigued mentally and physically. It feels good to know I get to kick back tomorrow and not kill myself in the gym. It will all start again on Monday. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:46 AM

I did some blood occlusion training for thighs today. I wrapped my LP support wrap around my thighs. First time I have tried that for thighs. It worked very well. I only have one right now, so I had to do one leg at a time. I did 5 sets per exercise, 10-15 reps, short rest:

Horizontal leg press
leg extensions
seated leg curls
Incline leg press

That really hurt my legs. That blood occlusion is brutal.

Then I did German volume training on standing calve raises.

My program is going very well. I'm to the point where if I make tiny adjustments, it will make a noticeable difference in my results.

One thing I need to do is increase the training load on my back. Its not enough for growth. I need to include an entire extra workout in during the week.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

Old 09-19-2007, 12:26 AM

Today I did old schools trap and delt workout, workout number 2 for each. They can be read in the workout section. Man that was hard-core. I am fried.

I also did his bicep and tricep workout yesterday morning; I got a fantastic pump on that.

I had everything set out the night before to go train this morning, but I forgot to put my alarm clock on! But it was just a cardio session, so no biggy.

I have several ideas on how to modify my split; its getting a lot closer to what I want it to be.

The adjustments I made have really paid off in just a weeks time. I'm extremely pleased with the results. I think I am looking much leaner and I feel very good.

Came down with a cold, though. Really could not be helped. Seems like everyone on campus is sick! I knew I would get sick when I was in a room with 30 students, in a tight space with no windows, and EVERYONE was coughing and sneezing and a bunch of other nasty stuff. I felt disgusting! So I caught it too. But I just have a runny nose now. Just annoying more than anything.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

Old 09-19-2007, 12:30 AM
Dzoni should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

Good to see you getting everything sorted out and that it is working for you, Venom.

Lets hope that cold doesn't turn in to anything serious. Other than that. Great workouts and keep at it. Looking real good.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:44 AM

Thanks a lot for the encouragement, bro. I'm getting a lot better. Usually a cold, particularly a runny nose lasts a while. But I seemed to have nailed this one. Only small symptoms today.

Back workout was just ridiculous today!

4 sets unilateral pull-down machine, triple drop on the last set - 4 plates aside, 6-10 reps, dropped down to a 25 +3 plates on last 2 sets
4 sets dumbbell bodybuilding dead lifts - 150 pound dumbbells *10 reps per set. Heaviest I have ever gone on this. Max dumbbells in the gym. Felt really good
4 Pull-ups w/ lat pull downs wide grip, strip on last set
Bent over barbell rows - 225 3*10, triple drop on the last set.
3 sets Behind the neck lat pulldowns
4 sets cormeir rows, strip on last set
3 sets straight arm pull-downs

I have not done shocks like strips in a while, so my back is fried.

I'm taking my back training to another level. I'm basically doing whatever it takes to stimulate growth - strips, super sets, lifting heavy, etc. I am training it twice a week, by itself so I can really focus on it.

My training is this close to being at its peak. My diet, workouts, and mental approach are doing fantastic. I just need to make a few more tweaks, and take a few more components of my program to another level, and I'll be right on track. Overall, I'm very pleased. The goal is to get better each day; and right now I'm doing that.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

Old 09-20-2007, 02:57 AM

One psychological tip to fellow students out there.

I was listening to this professor who is collaborating on some work with us in our lab, and he said he had not been in the gym in 2 weeks because he was so busy!

I have 3 exams in about 10 days. I have an incredible amount of studies I need to do. So I could easily just phone it in and get through my workouts casually or take a day off here or there. But I said to myself today, "this is the lifestyle you have chosen. If you think it's getting any easier you are fooling yourself. So either make a decision now to train hard-core, or it's never going to happen."

And that's the truth. If you are a college student, particularly if you are a graduate student, your going to be swamped...pretty much the rest of your life. It's just a matter of taking the approach that you are going to do whatever it takes to be a successful bodybuilder.

A lot my success I would attribute to goal setting, which we discuss extensively in our anatomy section under psychology if anyone is interested.

But another component is self sacrifice. In order for me to thrive as a pHD student, bodybuilder, bodybuilding entrepreneur, among other ventures, it takes an incredible amount off dedication and "sacrifice." I have no leeway here; if I am off my game for just a few days, then I fall behind, and it's hard to catch back up. So leisure time is great and should be done; but handle your business first and foremost. If leisure time really gets in the way of your training, or studies, then you need to get your priorities straight IF your goal is to reach your ultimate potential. I find that there is time for both, to a certain extent. You simply need to take a break every once in a while. And thriving in a social milieu is an inherent need of humans, that should not be neglected.

Now, I put sacrifice in scare quotes there, because I have a hard time considering it a sacrifice personally. Why? Because I love doing what I am doing. And if you are going to be really successful at something, that must be the case. You must love spending 10 hours a day in the lab, and training before and after each lab day. If you don't then your going to be miserable and not nearly as successful. Intrinsic motivation is the key. Read my article on rewards and IM in the psychology section for more info.

So here is my take home message for today: embrace the pain! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

Old 09-20-2007, 03:50 AM
richnewton is tired.
Light-Heavyweight

As a teacher I completely empathize with your situation. Managing your academic/work life with your work in the gym is frustrating and difficult to say the least. Sometimes just force feeding that extra meal and knowing you are going to be hurting for the next few hours at work but you need the calories if you want to keep gaining.. its harder than anything..
Old 09-20-2007, 08:52 PM
Adam Knowlden should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

[ QUOTE ]
One psychological tip to fellow students out there.

I was listening to this professor who is collaborating on some work with us in our lab, and he said he had not been in the gym in 2 weeks because he was so busy!

I have 3 exams in about 10 days. I have an incredible amount of studies I need to do. So I could easily just phone it in and get through my workouts casually or take a day off here or there. But I said to myself today, "this is the lifestyle you have chosen. If you think it's getting any easier you are fooling yourself. So either make a decision now to train hard-core, or it's never going to happen."

And that's the truth. If you are a college student, particularly if you are a graduate student, your going to be swamped...pretty much the rest of your life. It's just a matter of taking the approach that you are going to do whatever it takes to be a successful bodybuilder.

A lot my success I would attribute to goal setting, which we discuss extensively in our anatomy section under psychology if anyone is interested.

But another component is self sacrifice. In order for me to thrive as a pHD student, bodybuilder, bodybuilding entrepreneur, among other ventures, it takes an incredible amount off dedication and "sacrifice." I have no leeway here; if I am off my game for just a few days, then I fall behind, and it's hard to catch back up. So leisure time is great and should be done; but handle your business first and foremost. If leisure time really gets in the way of your training, or studies, then you need to get your priorities straight IF your goal is to reach your ultimate potential. I find that there is time for both, to a certain extent. You simply need to take a break every once in a while. And thriving in a social milieu is an inherent need of humans, that should not be neglected.

Now, I put sacrifice in scare quotes there, because I have a hard time considering it a sacrifice personally. Why? Because I love doing what I am doing. And if you are going to be really successful at something, that must be the case. You must love spending 10 hours a day in the lab, and training before and after each lab day. If you don't then your going to be miserable and not nearly as successful. Intrinsic motivation is the key. Read my article on rewards and IM in the psychology section for more info.

So here is my take home message for today: embrace the pain!

[/ QUOTE ]

When I read your post, I couldn't help but think of Sly chugging raw egg whites with Eye of the Tiger playing in the background. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Does your prof. have a wife and kids? I'd imagine having a wife and kids would force you to change your priorities from time to time. Though I agree, nothing is more important than your health. Like Arnold said in his book, there is no excuse for not working out. He said if you really want to you will find a way! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I agree it's all about goals. I have a whiteboard in my office at home. Each day I spend about 10 minutes plotting my goals for the day and the week. Then I pray that they will be accomplished. Makes a HUGE difference. I also think that if the Lord is blessing your work, you will find that whatever you touch will prosper. Even though it will seem like there is not enough time and no way to get through a series of goals, the Lord will bring them to fruition! The Lord tempers us though. We have to work hard at it, and we will have to have faith, but He will give us favor in the areas He's blessed us in. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

25"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? 26Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
28"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' 32For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.