The Journey of a pHD bodybuilder - Train, Eat, and Think like a Pro! - Page 22 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 06-12-2008, 04:24 AM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

Default Re: The Journey of a pHD bodybuilder - Train, Eat, and Think like a Pro!

Just got back home from cali/issn conference in vegs. Awesome trip. Jake and I presented on HMB and that went great; Layne also did a great presentation on optimal protein needs.

Got to meet a lot of great people. Very happy to meet Dana and shawn (see intro forum); and also got to meet one of laynes clients, ben. He is incredibly dedicated to bodybuilding and research.

It was difficult for me to asses my body in another environment, but when I got home and looked in my personal mirror, I can tell I gained size and got more cut this trip. That is so fantastic. I trained my behind off, but my diet was iffy on a lot of days. I stayed pretty clean, but I ate extra and had some cheats. Overall, I was extremely anabolic. Kind of surprised that I am leaner.

Tonight trained in the gym. My strenght was crazy. Just did delts/traps

Dumbbell shoulder press: 100s 10, 6, 5. - I am focusing on slow negatives faster concentrics (1-2 up, 2-3 down).
Upright row 8, 6, 6 - did some cheat reps, used 120 pounds on barbell
reverse pec dec flys - maxed out machine. This was super heavy, my rear delts will grow from that
Alternatined from delt raises w/ side lateral raises. Lifted with 30-40 pound dumbbells
Shrug machine, 3 plates aside

Did a few shrugs with dumbbells and cables between sets.

I need to get into a routine now with school, training, and dieting. Gong to try to do so as soon as a can, and in the mean time, just keep working hard.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:28 AM

Default Re: The Journey of a pHD bodybuilder - Train, Eat, and Think like a Pro!

We are really close to releasing some updates...I'm getting very antsy. I think I am going to write several articles for the site, too. I was thinking of saving them for successive months, but you guys have waited so patiently, you deserve something extra!

So I had another great workout. This is by far the biggest I have ever been in my entire life. And its a bit suprising because I have been cutting. I attribute it in large part to numerous modifications I have made to my program; especially my training program recently. I am going to write an article on this!

So I did legs, tapering, and arms heavy.

Squats 315 10 - felt so light. I am doing around 4 seconds eccentric contraction, and 1-2 seconds concentric. I just go controlled on the way down.
Leg press maxed out, 10 - I was really happy about this. There is this leg press in my gym, that I have found challenging in the past. Today it was a joke. I could have gotten 20 no problem. Really happy with my strenght.
Leg extension maxed out - again, I found this leg extension heavy in the past, I was amazed how light it was
Leg curls

1 set on all those, also did couple sets calves. Did a incline calve machine 5 plates aside, and standing reverse tibialis raises.

Arms

Alternating dumbbell curls, 70, 65, 60; tricep pressodwns - very strong here. Again, solid eccentric, around 2-3 seconds.
French press 100, 100, 95; hammer curls 50, 48, 45 - really strong on French presses nice slow negatives. Got 10 reps first set.
Blood occlusion on forearms - absolutely rediculously painful. I took dana houser through this a couple days ago, and he loved it! That was actually pretty funny lol...had to be there to appreciate it.
Barbell curl 115 w/ seated tricep extension maxed out

3 sets on everything, except 4 on occlusion. 3-5 minutes rest to maximize performance and strength gains.

So whenever I go home or don't see someone in my family in a while, they always tell me I got bigger. My tia apparently told my mom she could not put her arms around me cause my back was so big lol.

That is cool, but I am kind of sick of it. I really want them to say I shrunk the next time I see them. That is my goal. I want them to be disgusted and scared that I am taking drugs and starving myself haha.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:31 AM

Oh another thing, you guys will usually notice I stretch last thing in my workout, after a cool down. This time, I stretched first, then cooled down with 15-20 mins on treadmill. Why?

Jake recently showed in his lab that you are less efficient during cardio if you stretch prior. The reason is you lose elastic energy stored by the joints, so you metabolize more cals. I think its around 10%. That adds up over time!
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

Old 06-14-2008, 01:07 AM

Another good one today.

Explosive training super sets, back / chest, closed out with abs

flat dumbbell press 80s w/ pull ups
straight arm pull downs w/ dips
incline barbell w/ t-bar rows
decline barbell w/ hyperextensions
incline fly machine w/ incline row machine
deads 245
incline crunches w/ hanging leg raises

stretched, then cooled down for 15 on elliptical

I did around 8-10 reps most sets, short rest periods - trying to improve conditioning and power. On some lifts like deads and bench, I took longer rest, and did less reps to maximize power gains.

Earlier did 10 sprints w/ parachute followed by light jog.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

Old 06-15-2008, 01:35 AM

my body is really hurt right now; very sore. I did strip sets on delts: dumbbell shoulder press, upright rows, dumbbell raises, reverse pec dec, and cable side laterals. Also did occlusion for arms (alternate curls w/ french) and calves (leg press).

I hope that I can do thighs tomorrow - just some explosive movements. We'll see how I feel.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

Old 06-15-2008, 02:19 AM
will-work4andro is beastmode!!!
Professor of Pain!!

saw an interesting way to hypertrophy the chest with occlusion at ACSM...they occluded the proximal portion of the arm during the bb bench press...the idea was that the triceps fatigued early causing the chest to pick up the slack...also they've started using the rep scheme of 30-15-15-15...i've experimented with this as well and have really felt the difference...Dr. Fujita said the more fatigued you get the first set the better...

Muscle Hypertrophy occurs independent of exercise intensity
Old 06-15-2008, 02:43 AM

Thanks for sharing; definitely interesting.

What I have been doing on body parts like chest are statics as you know. I also think shocks like strips are a form of occlusion, so I think those should be used more in place of wraps. Thought they likely cause more muscle damage. I have also flexed my muscles in the past. To me, this is only effective when you have a huge pump like after a strip set. Otherwise it does nothing.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

Old 06-17-2008, 03:52 AM

Did back heavy bis fast.

Highlights: upped my deads by 30 pounds - did 430 6 times, full deads.
Did 6 plates on t-bar row (35 pounders for optimal stretch). Can only fit one more plate on the bar...
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

Old 06-17-2008, 01:08 PM
will-work4andro is beastmode!!!
Professor of Pain!!

very nice deadlift Gabe

Muscle Hypertrophy occurs independent of exercise intensity
Old 06-17-2008, 03:33 PM

Thanks! We'll see if i can maintain the upward trend in my lifts...getting ready to take my dieting to another level now.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies