The Journey of a pHD bodybuilder - Train, Eat, and Think like a Pro! - Page 2 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 09-06-2007, 02:39 AM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

Default Re: The Journey of a pHD bodybuilder - Train, Eat, and Think like a Pro!

Another thing I thank God for is my masters degree in Sport Psychology! Nothing has had a bigger impact on my everyday life than that.

One thing a lot of bodybuilding students struggle with, is focusing in the gym, because they are worried about all the responsibilities they have.

For instance, usually I come home from being in lab / taking classes from 8-6, pretty much daily now. I may think to myself, ďman, I donít have time for thisĒ but then I reappraise the situation, and think of all the benefits of physical exercise, and how Iíll be depressed if I donít train, and how I need a break anyway. So I go train.

Anther problem is that during my workouts, Iíll sometimes say ďI got to hurry and get out of hereĒ sometimes I really do. But many times, I place unnecessary regulators on myself. So I will just say forget this, and get an awesome workout in. I end up right on schedule anyway. Often times, it just takes that extra 30 minutes to really get an optimal workout in. It may be because of that extra minute rest you took to get a great set of squats in, or the extra 20 minutes you took to make sure you fit squats into your leg workout. So I will often tell myself "30 minutes extra in the gym is not going to make or break you. Just get in here and train."

My mentality now is that once I am in the gym, I'm in the gym. I rarely allow anything to distract me now or deter my focus from lifting heavy weights.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:46 AM
Fahsy should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

Default Re: The Journey of a pHD bodybuilder - Train, Eat, and Think like a Pro!

Nice workout Gabe! Although I've read about it a lot, I still haven't tried the occlusive training yet. That is something I'd like to play around with maybe on a Saturday in the gym when I have more time.

What is your pre/post exercise nutirion look like right now? I'm still waiting on my WMS to get here, so right now I'm doing something like this:

Pre: CEE and BCAA's

After I get my WMS I'll probably keep the Pre the same but post have: WMS, CEE and more BCAA's followed by a meal 30 minutes later.

I know what your saying about having to unplug when you get to the gym and just focus. I do the same thing -- cell phone stays in my car, the ipod goes on, and nothing else matters til I'm done in there.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:10 AM

Thanks, Chris!

[ QUOTE ]
What is your pre/post exercise nutirion look like right now?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just remember...you asked for it. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Right now I'm doing:

4 scoops amino shooter (provides over 4 grams leucine, all the essential aminos, and 7 grams creatine), 10 grams glutamine, 30 grams dextrose/malto or WMS, 1 gram beta alanine.

I also have: 2 tablets green tea pills (I use ON, which is fantastic proportion of EGCG), 2 alpha lipoic acid tablets (200 mg), 1 gram HMB.

Then post workout:

2 scoops of either whey protein or pro-score. I think pro-score is slightly better post workout because its hydrolyzed. But I just love the taste of whey with sugar, so I often have that anyway lol. 30 grams dextrose/malto or WMS, 5 gram creatine, 10 gram glutamine, 1 gram beta-alanine, 1/4 teaspoon table salt (around 500 mg). Mixed in about a liter of water, then I sip on a water bottle on the side.

Pills: 200 mg ALA, 100 mg grape seed extract, 1 gram vitamin C, 400 mg chromium, 10 mg vanadium, 1 gram HMB.

I think that is everything. But might have forgot a thing or two lol. Now you know why my supplement shelf is so massive haha.

On my high carb days, same thing, but I up the proportion of carbs to about 60.

I like to have a fast digesting protein after that, so I often will have some essential aminos 2 hours later. And I'll either have oatmeal or broccolii to help stabalize blood glucose. Depends on the stage of my cut, how I feel, and the day.

Layne told me about some great research he did. He basically showed that the benefits ALA has on insulin sensitivity is by decreasing reactive oxygen species. And he showed it really increased glucose disposal with a very large magnitude with athletes. So I like to have it pre and post workout when oxidative stress is high, and also when I have my carbs. Other anti-oxidants will have similar effects on insulin sensitivity.

On the pre-workout sugars, been trying that out for a little while now. I like it particularly on lower carbohydrate diets. I think on bulks it might not be that helpful, because your using mostly glycogen. But on a cut - like I'm on right now - I think it is a good way to optimize nutrient effeciency in glycogen depleted states. I've found its given me greater energy and blood pumps in the gym.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:54 PM

Biceps / Triceps

Used old schools first tricep routine, and his bicep routine again. Workout 2 on both.

For biceps I did 5 jump sets:

[ QUOTE ]
Workout B, Part One:

1. Dumbbell Curls Jump Sets (6 sets)

Both the Ascending and Descending shocking principles will be incorporated in exercise one (See: Descending Sets for a Super Shock and Use Ascending Sets to Pack on new and thick layers of muscle mass!!!) when combined I call this shock, Jump Setting.

These six sets will encompass pyramiding up and then back down the dumbbell rack.

The following blitz is going to attack the entire bicep and forearm muscle locality in an unorthodox manner.

Begin by picking a really lightweight that you can easily perform 20 reps for. Letís say for our example that is 25 lb dumbbells.

Perform 25 reps and set the dumbbells down. Now jump 10 lbs, and perform 20 reps with the 35 lb weights. Next, jump 10 more lbs. grab the 45ís and perform 15 reps. After that bump up 10 lbs grab the 55ís and execute 10 reps. Ok, the easy part is over! The key is to continue jumping in weight by 10ís. In other words after each mini-set you will increase the dumbbell weight by 10 lbs.

After you pyramid to the point that you are at a weight that is causing your to fail at 10 reps (remember there is NO rest between these initial jumps!), continue increasing the dumbbells by 10, but from this point on your can induce failure between 2-9 reps.

Continue in this manner until you have reached a point where you can no longer perform at least two reps, or you max out the dumbbells your gym has to offer! Oh, one last note you can rest pause after youíve pyramided past the 10-rep mark.

This is the half way mark. Now descend all the way back to the 25 lb weights (or whatever weights you began with). Stick to a rep range of 2-9 again, rest-pausing as much as needed on the way back down.

To summarize:

* Follow an ascending pyramid rep scheme of 25-20-15-10.
* Continue ascending in 10 lb. increments failing between 2-9 reps. Use rest-pause and alternating reps as needed.
* Once maximum ascension is achieved, begin descending in weight, failing between 2-9 reps, using rest-pause as needed.

Even though we are performing an extreme volume of reps, there is one thought you need to stay focused on throughout the entirety of the setÖ.

Elevation!

Get those arms up and contract the biceps! Itís going to be challenging keeping your mind focused on that as you progress through this ascending/descending nightmare, but that is the only thought you have to keep on your mind. The rest of your energy needs to be focused on the ďdo or dieĒ mentality.

It seems like a lot, but once you get the set going it really flies. This workout is fast, but to get the most out of it you really need to stay focused on elevation. Hyperplasia is not easy to induce. It thrives in the realm of radical. Treat this monster set as such and youíll split fibers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I alternated jump sets with triceps:

[ QUOTE ]
Week 2:

Phase 1

Seated high-pulley concentration extension:

Attach a handle to a high pulley and position a flat bench sideways in front of the cable station. Sit on the side of the bench, opening your legs like youíre doing a concentration curl. Grasp the handle with your far hand with a palms-up grip, bending over slightly and placing your elbow against the inside of your far thigh. Keep your elbow firmly in this position. Like a reverse-grip press down, extend your elbow to full extension. Keep your wrist locked, donít let it bend forwards or backwards.

Recommended sets:

2 sets per arm. Do one arm in between the other. This is just an isolated pre-exhaust exercise so donít go to total failure, just one or two reps short of it. Go for higher reps between 10 and 15.

Phase 2

Close-grip bench presses

This is one of the best triceps mass builders, so they have to be part of this program!

The correct hand positioning is the key to this one, so adjust your hands so optimal stress is placed on the triceps. I prefer 4-6 inches. To perform these, lie on a flat bench, and lower the bar to your chest, trying to keep your elbows in close to your body and pointing towards your knees, not out to your sides. Press back up to extension.

Recommended sets: 4 total for super mass! 8-10 reps each

If you have a partner go past failure using 1-2 forced reps per set.

If you do not have a partner use the rest pause method to accomplish the same thing.

Phase 3

Incline overhead cable extension

Attach an EZ-curl bar to a low pulley. Place the back of an incline bench next to the bar. Grasp the bar, making sure youíre sitting squarely on the bench. With your elbows extended overhead beside your ears and stabilized in this position, smoothly press the bar upward until full extension. You can also do these with the rope or done standing or seated against a back pad.

Recommended sets:

3 total. reps - 10-12 This exercise should give you a great blood pump. Also, the stretch from this one is perhaps unmatched!

Phase 4

Repeat seated high-pulley concentration extension.

One last set!

Destroy the remaining muscle fibers with the drop set principle.

beginner = one drop set, before you drop hold for a static/peak contraction for approximately 30 seconds, then strip and repeat!
intermediate = double drop set, same static procedure until sets are complete
advanced = triple drop set, same static procedure until sets are complete

reps. 8-10 per drop

Youíre done with week 2! Congratulations, youíre on your way to horseshoe triceps! For those of you who donít know, thatís the ideal shape of a completely developed triceps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very hard workout. Took around 1 hour. A minute or less rest between sets.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

Old 09-11-2007, 02:35 AM

I did not feel that great today. My ipod also ran out of batteries, which sucked!

When I do not feel very energetic, I usually include shocking methods in my workout. They are a good way to quickly stimulate growth. I still feel I got a pretty effective training stimulus because of this:

Ascending strip set on leg extensions
Ascending strip set on seated hamstring curls
6 sets of 10-12 reps on leg press W/ sissy squats- 7 plates aside
5 sets of leg press calve raises w/ standing calve raises, balancing with minimal hand support - 5 plates aside
5 sets hanging leg raises with lying leg raises, also knee tucks after failure on each
3*12 reverse hack squats - 6 plates aside.
5 sets reverse calve raises on incline calve raise
Wilson blitz on donkey calve raise machine
3 sets of hanging leg raises with lying leg raises, also knee tucks after failure on each

Stretching

Around 70 minutes. I am too tired to count the sets lol. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

Old 09-11-2007, 02:39 AM

Last couple of weeks I stopped doing two a days, due to my demanding schedule. I am not getting the same results muscularity wise or for hypertrophy and strength. So I am going to find a way to train twice daily. It takes a lot of preparation, but I am going to do whatever it takes.

I also am not happy with my diet. I have been going higher fat and really low carb, through a carb cycle and its not working well on my body comp, performance, or energy. My pumps are also much less in the gym. So I am going to balance my macros out, probably something like a PCF of 43/37/20, and calorie cycle. Maybe carb up slightly once a week, still.

I have my work cut out for me on designing my program. So I'll keep you guys up to date on how that goes, once I get something planned out.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

Old 09-11-2007, 03:17 AM
Adam Knowlden should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

I can't believe I didn't see this journal earlier!

Gabe, you're straight up THE MAN . Not only are you a ultra-professional and a great leader, but you are also very generous with your talents and genuinely desire to share the blessings God has bestowed upon you to everyone around you.

Thanks for the comments about the delt routine. I have so many programs I've designed since then. Once I get my current project out of the way [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] , I want to write another shock yourself article. I have about 12 shocks I've invented over the past year.

Just to validate, I can attest to Gabe's hardcore nutrition and training dedication. After visiting Jacob, I can tell you these two absolutely live and breath everything bodybuilding. Their workouts and nutriton are absolutely perfect and on the cutting-edge of science. I got more cut in one week with Jake than what normally takes me 2 months to achieve!
Old 09-11-2007, 07:19 PM

Thanks for the kind words, bro!

I would love you to write another shocking article! Looking forward to it.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

Old 09-12-2007, 03:39 AM
Fahsy should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

I'll second what Adam said. I've leaned a lot talking to Gabe the past few weeks about training and nutrition. Thanks a lot bro!

Let us know how the split turns out. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2007, 01:21 AM

Thanks, Chris!

Like I was telling you in the gym, I spent a lot of time the last couple of days working on my split and diet. I made numerous adjustments, and I'm really happy with it. I'm going to give it a try for 1-2 weeks, see how it goes, then if all goes well, I'll discuss it here!

Today I did:

20 minutes HIIT on the stationary bicycle
30 minutes on the stair master - 50-70% VO2 max.

I like doing HIIT followed by moderate intensity cardio. Prez and I hypothesis that this optimizes fat oxidation. Basically, high intensity exercise ramps up catecholamines, which potently stimulates lypolysis (the breakdown of triglycerides into its glycerol and fatty acid components). However, alpha receptors (receptors stimulated by catecholamines) inhibit these fatty acids from being transported by its protein carrier albumen to the musculature that it may be oxidized. So fat oxidation is not optimal during this period of training.

What Prez and I found in our research, was that when intensity is lowered sympathetic tone lowers proportionally, and a high rise in plasma fatty acids is seen (Romijn et al., 1993.)

For this reason, we suggest that a combination of high intensity and low intensity training protocols may be a highly effective technique for fat metabolism.

In addition to this, results show that fat oxidation is increased proportionally to concentrations of fatty acids. For instance, they have done studies where they have fed participants fat closely to an event, and this increased fat oxidation during exercise. Thus, this rapid rise in FFA's should enhance fat oxidation.

You can read more on this here, http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/cardioindex.php
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies