The Journey of a pHD bodybuilder - Train, Eat, and Think like a Pro! - Page 13 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 01-23-2008, 07:02 AM
huskerwr38 should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Default Re: The Journey of a pHD bodybuilder - Train, Eat, and Think like a Pro!

Hey Venom, when can we expect to see this program? Hopefully soon! Good luck!
BF%: 10%
Certification: NSCA CSCS

Hard work always pays off!!!
My photos
Old 01-23-2008, 04:51 PM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

Default Re: The Journey of a pHD bodybuilder - Train, Eat, and Think like a Pro!

Our hope is to start JHR back up full time starting March 1st, along with all the other updates we have hinted about on the boards. That's going to be e lofty task, but we are shooting for it.

If that goes well, then I think the following issue of JHR would most likely be when I publish it. But I'll probably post some progress stats here for you guys to see and let you know some key methods that worked and did not work. I don't know if it will be the perfect program, yet. But its probably going to be the best one I have done and I can guarantee anyone who does it will grow!
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:54 AM
Fahsy should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks, bro!

Things are going real good. I am making adjustments along the way. You guys should benefit from me going the program twice for sure.

Injury note:

I think big Fahsy might be interested here. I have had serious knee pain, which started in my last week in cali late December. Well, for rehab I have mostly been icing it at night after my workouts. Anecdotally, I noticed that this seemed to actually aggravate my injury. So I stopped icing my knee for 4 days. I went to do legs Sunday and it was the best my knees felt it a very long time. I was actually able to do dumbbell lunges without any real pain!

I know you are having similar issues, Chris. Don't know if you ice your knee, but if you do, try stopping!

I am not an injury expert, but am pretty in tune with my body, and that was definitely causing problems. I have heard that too much ice has the opposite effect of increasing inflammation. So I may have been just doing it too often.

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad to hear you knee is feeling better. I really wasn't treating my knee with anything. I am going to take a break from all back squats and hack squats for about a month and hopefully that will help.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:40 AM

Good luck on your rehab!

My knee was a tad aggravated today, but still much improved.

Today was by far the most trying day of my program. My rate of perceived exertion was a 20 out of 20. I just had to fight through everything. That is why I am doing this program twice through. It is going to allow me to avoid situations where I feel like this. I added a day off for tomorrow, which was actually not planned originally. But I think I need to plan it earlier next time. I peaked energy wise and everything 3 days ago; the last 3 days, and especially today were a struggle. I hope tomorrows day off cures my pain.

I prefer the day off to eating more. I find that eating more puts my body in a state more conducive to fat gain; whereas the day off just allows me to recoup mentally, and also have lower stress, cortisol, catecholamines, etc. I almost always feel great after a day off. I am learning the value to a good day off here and there.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:55 AM
TheMac should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Hey Gabe,

Regarding your knee pain, do you do a lot of bilateral movements? I love squats and all but the knees sometimes need a break from them to put the empasis on the weaker areas of the chain. A perfect example are knees caving in during squats, a lot of people don't even notice this occurs until they start bilateral work and wonder why their knee and ankle are not aligned.

Also if you aren't already (might take a while for me to catch up on my reading here) try using a foam roller down your IT band to release some pressure. If it hurts keep doing it, if not you should be ok....but try to find if any areas are tender before you stop using it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ikeEaglesa.jpg

"The truth Iíve discovered is that you donít have to lift enormous weights to grow muscle. By using stricter form, slower negatives, and stretching between sets you can get an incredible pump in all your workouts. Numbers are an abstraction, especially to muscles. Your body doesnít know the absolute weight of what you lift, it only recognizes how heavy it feels. The secret is to make lighter weights feel heavier. " - Frank Zane

"Sacrifice: To give up, destroy, renounce, and surrender your ego, excuses, bad habits, fears, and your couch - in the belief of an ideal or pursuit of a worthy goal."

"All thing are possible to him who believes." -Mark 9:23
Old 01-27-2008, 04:48 AM

Thanks for the tips! What type of bilateral exercises do you suggest?

Funny, Fahsy just told me last night he used that foam pad and it helped relieve the pain on his knee. I'll definitely give that a shot!
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

Old 01-27-2008, 06:25 PM
TheMac should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the tips! What type of bilateral exercises do you suggest?

Funny, Fahsy just told me last night he used that foam pad and it helped relieve the pain on his knee. I'll definitely give that a shot!

[/ QUOTE ]

That foam roller is great for so many areas to release tension (best would be active release therapy to get the spots that the roller can not reach)

I would need a quick evaluation of your movement pattern to judge what exercise would be best for you up the progressive chain but you could always start with simple DB Step ups and Split Squats. Make sure you get a full ROM on the Split Squats (that is knee passed toe, hamstring to calf) as well as getting a solid snap at the top of your Step up. If you notice that your knee and ankle have a hard time aligning then there is some definite work needed if not let me know if you need something harder [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

PS: A step is a bilateral movement so that means no using any drive from your opposite leg...the average step up the the gym goer does it not bilateral and therefore does not recruit the correct muscle firing sequence.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ikeEaglesa.jpg

"The truth Iíve discovered is that you donít have to lift enormous weights to grow muscle. By using stricter form, slower negatives, and stretching between sets you can get an incredible pump in all your workouts. Numbers are an abstraction, especially to muscles. Your body doesnít know the absolute weight of what you lift, it only recognizes how heavy it feels. The secret is to make lighter weights feel heavier. " - Frank Zane

"Sacrifice: To give up, destroy, renounce, and surrender your ego, excuses, bad habits, fears, and your couch - in the belief of an ideal or pursuit of a worthy goal."

"All thing are possible to him who believes." -Mark 9:23
Old 01-31-2008, 02:11 AM
Big Rod is back . And he's brought some new pr's with him

[ QUOTE ]
Lastly, right now I am having 30 grams of waixy maize before and after my workouts (60 grams total), along with a load of essential amino acids, and then several sups. I am doing this to optimize nutrient effeciency. I have found this has worked best for my energy levels, pumps in the gym, and positive affect. Waixy maize has worked pretty well for me since I started trying it; but either that or dextrose/ malto will do just fine. So I'm quite confident I am in a state of anabolism during my workouts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you suggest then that it would be alright to take a detro/malto mix before a workout, too? Or should i just stick to the oatmeal deal...? Thanks in advance for the input Venom.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:31 AM

Hard for me to say right now. I think if you are able to time it right, complex carbs will do just fine. But I find it needs to be 60-90 minutes prior to the workout to work optimally. Wait longer and energy will not be as good; eat sooner and you might have stomach problems. I started having easily digested carbs in my shake because I have a hard time timing that w/ my schedule. This allows me to time my carbs consistently.

I would try out both methods and see how your energy and performance is in the gym.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

Old 02-17-2008, 11:13 PM
Fahsy should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

Gabe, how is your progess coming? I've seen you in the gym quite a bit but don't always have time to talk. Are you still cutting now?