The Journey of a pHD bodybuilder - Train, Eat, and Think like a Pro! - Page 10 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 11-04-2007, 10:10 AM
William Ustav is cutting the shadow.
Super Moderator

Default Re: The Journey of a pHD bodybuilder - Train, Eat, and Think like a Pro!

Awesome about the hack squats [img]/forum/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

But when you say your knees are sore, what do you think is the cause?
Old 11-04-2007, 04:38 PM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

Default Re: The Journey of a pHD bodybuilder - Train, Eat, and Think like a Pro!

Deep hack squats. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I used to not be able to do them they hurt my knees so bad. But when I started taking proflex, I could. I know that sounds like an add, but I'm just saying the truth!

Sometimes after doing them frequently for a while, they still hurt my knees.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:43 PM
William Ustav is cutting the shadow.
Super Moderator

Yeah, I can't go deep on my hack squats anymore - both of my knees are messed up, so I have to be really careful when doing squats of all kinds.

I think I'll do back/biceps/forearms tomorrow...
Old 11-20-2007, 07:03 PM

Hey, everyone! What's up?!?

Things are going very well in my program. Let me recap a little.

I told you guys I was going for 6 plates aside on hack squats. Well, that was quite an adventure, because my knees were really hurt. It hurt so bad that I almost could not attempt it, but just for the mental edige, I had too try. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] I got a couple of reps! But then the rest of the workout I was in a lot of pain and could not do much.

Why did my knees hurt? Couple of thoughts:

1. It's freaking cold! At least for me.
2. I was running in the cold! I noticed that when I ran, my joints did not feel too good, and were quite stiff. I think this caused some issues.
3. I ran out of proflex and had not been using it a week prior to that.
4. Hack squats are pretty brutal on the knees.

Solution:

1. I stopped running in the cold
2. Got back on proflex
3. Stopped hack squats (for now)
4. Lots of icing on my knees (particularly my right knee).

Results

- Knees are fine after a week of doing that.

Also, I had a pec injury, and that is feeling very good now. I just need to get my strength back on pressing movements. But I am taking my time. Don't want to re injure myself.

I think I might have told you guys, I started a cut a couple weeks ago after bulking for a month. Thus far, I am very pleased.

Training wise, that is a work in progress. But I'm training very frequently; each muscle group about 3 times per week, periodized, not to high volume per workout (don't have to with that much frequency). I upped my frequency from 2 to 3 times, because my recovery is just insane. So I can train that frequently with little difficultly. There are a couple of issues which I am still ironing out, though.

I cannot do two a days on weekdays. So what I decided to do was start training 7 days a week again, and do 2 a days on weekends. And I'll take instinctive days off. Like this past Friday, I took a day off because of various events I had to attend.

For cardio, what I am doing right now is just 10-15 minutes after most of my workouts. Again, I can't train twice, so I have to do cardio post exercise. This has worked really well. It's easy to adhere too, and it minimizes the negative effects of cardio while giving the positive effects on fat metabolism and glucose metabolism. The stair master is my exercise of choice, because it metabolizes the greatest amount of calories, and it takes the least effort to get an effective workout.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:47 PM
richnewton is tired.
Light-Heavyweight

Keep up the good work Venom. I understand your recovery ability because I seem to have a similar thing going on. It doesn't seem like any amount of frequency or volume is too much.. I can just keep going and going as long as I make sure to take those instinctive breaks when my body asks for it. I think for myself this has to do with the amount of sleep and food I'm intaking. I'm over 6,000 cals/day for sure now.

I found on hacksquat my knees act up too but now that we have a new machine they don't. The difference is the platform allows for a much better stance. My feet are way further out and wider than before so I can go deeper without hurting my knees and with heavier weight.

Keep it up dude and gluck with your classes!
Old 11-21-2007, 02:51 AM
Fahsy should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

Great work on the hacks Gabe! Glad to hear your chest is feeling better too! I'm back in PA right now, so I won't see you in the gym this week, but have a happy Thanksgiving bro!
Old 11-22-2007, 08:22 AM
huskerwr38 should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Hey Gabe,
Awesome journal, it's great when guys write out everything they do in their exercise program.

I have some questions about some things I've read throughout your journal.
[ QUOTE ]
The night workout was very good. I did 10-15 reps, explosive speed, very little rest between sets. This is to improve my conditioning, vascularity, mitochondria, insulin sensitivity, and hopefully promote conversions of type I to type II fibers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I thought that Type I muscle fibers could not be converted to Type II muscle fibers, and vice versa.

Secondly, I was suprised to read that you were doing cardio immediately after a workout. Wouldn't this promote further muscle catabolism, especially since you are doing 2 a days with lower carb consumption?

Are you drinking your PWO drink after lifting, then doing cardio?
BF%: 10%
Certification: NSCA CSCS

Hard work always pays off!!!
My photos
Old 11-24-2007, 01:48 AM

Thanks for the encouragement, guys!

Yeah, Rich, it does depend on the platform. I did one yesterday at a gym and it did not hurt any of my joints. I like reverse hack squats because they donít hurt the knees; but you canít go as deep. :/

I hope you have a great thanksgiving, Chris! Weíll talk next week.

Huscker

I made a post in the research forum on fiber type conversions. I would check that out. Right now, Jacob, his mentor Dr. Kim, and myself have a paper under review on fiber type conversions. Basically, itís about 50/50 on the research. Half shows you canít; half show you may be able to. We propose future research implications for this.

My cardio after my workout is more or less a form of active recovery; the intensity is low to moderate, and only 10-15 minutes. You have read my article on AR probably; my thought is that it will only be beneficial for recovery.

Prez and I also think best time to do low intensity cardio is after a high intensity workout Ė either hiit or weights. What high intensity workouts do is stimulate lypolysis, and you get a large rise of fatty acids in the blood stream. Low intensity increases the uptake and oxidation of these fatty acids for fuels. So itís a perfect environment to metabolize fat. We discuss more on this in our cardio articles (front page).

I am also going to start to do 2-3 HIIT sessions per week. For these, I am going to do HIIT and abs probably by themselves. It will be an intense workout. Layne showed me some really cool stuff on HIIT. We did some sprints up hill with a parachute, and they are really fun. We did 15 sprints, I go you go. Problem is, that the weather here sucks, and its freezing cold / snowing / raining all the time. So I donít know if Iíll be able to do this. So what I will end up doing mostly is sprints on the recumbent bike.

Lastly, right now I am having 30 grams of waixy maize before and after my workouts (60 grams total), along with a load of essential amino acids, and then several sups. I am doing this to optimize nutrient effeciency. I have found this has worked best for my energy levels, pumps in the gym, and positive affect. Waixy maize has worked pretty well for me since I started trying it; but either that or dextrose/ malto will do just fine. So I'm quite confident I am in a state of anabolism during my workouts.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

Old 11-24-2007, 08:15 AM
huskerwr38 should change his/her status!
Middleweight

[ QUOTE ]
Prez and I also think best time to do low intensity cardio is after a high intensity workout Ė either hiit or weights. What high intensity workouts do is stimulate lypolysis, and you get a large rise of fatty acids in the blood stream. Low intensity increases the uptake and oxidation of these fatty acids for fuels. So itís a perfect environment to metabolize fat. We discuss more on this in our cardio articles (front page).

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand that logic, and I read your articles on cardio, but do you consume your PWO shake after resistance training or wait until after your cardio session?
BF%: 10%
Certification: NSCA CSCS

Hard work always pays off!!!
My photos
Old 11-24-2007, 05:05 PM

After cardio and stretching.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies