The Journey of a pHD bodybuilder - Train, Eat, and Think like a Pro! - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 09-03-2007, 03:23 AM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

Default The Journey of a pHD bodybuilder - Train, Eat, and Think like a Pro!

Interestingly enough, it was about this same time last year, and the year before, that I started my prior two training journals. So I guess there is just something about the month of August that makes me want to get huge lol.

You can read my last journal here, http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forum...page/0#1207185

Time for journal numero tres!

A lot has changed again this year. Basically, my focus for the last several years has been getting into a doctoral program where I can do research for bodybuilding. And I'm quite pleased to say that I've accomplished that goal!

And now that I'm here, I need to take everything to another level. Mentally, physically, and spiritually, I need to think, and act like an elite professional. In order to accomplish these goals, I'm going to need as much social support as I can get. And that is why I'm starting another journal here on ABC.

I'm pretty excited about my upcoming training program. I have been working incessantly for the last decade to develop programs that will optimize performance, growth, and fat loss for bodybuilders. And I have loads of ideas that I want to try on myself.

My focus is on the next 30 days, and no more. I want my body to completely change in that time span. I officially started my split this Saturday, which was September 1st. So on October 1st, I expect to see a completely different me.

I'll post my split and diet up hopefully tomorrow.

I look forward to talking to you guys, and growing! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:51 AM
Dzoni should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

Default Re: The Journey of a pHD bodybuilder - Train, Eat, and Think like a Pro!

Hey Venom,

Good to see you starting another journal. It's going to be good to see your plans and ideas. Will be fun to watch.

Is this going to be a "get big, stay lean" type of journal, or strictly one or the other?

Good luck
Old 09-03-2007, 03:54 PM
Builder15 should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Default Re: The Journey of a pHD bodybuilder - Train, Eat, and Think like a Pro!

I will be keeping my eye on this journal. I think it is a great idea and will hopefully motivate me as well to kick my training up to the next level (only i have an injury that prevents me from doing so). Good luck!
Old 09-03-2007, 04:07 PM

Thanks, guys.

Um, not quite sure about your question, Dzoni. My goals will vary a lot, so my discussions and program will probably change. Overall, I'll be posting my diet, training, and various methods I use. But anything you guys want to discuss is cool with me.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:55 PM

Here is my first workout for this journal! I'm not going to list my weights on machines, because I don't care what I do on leg extensions. Most of the time they are maxed.

Thighs, calves, abs, HIIT

Rest periods: 1 minutes rest between every set, or less. On some of the super sets, I just went back and forth between exercises.

Squat machine - 3*10, 6 plates aside
Barbell lunges - 3*12, 185
Feet elevated full squats - 225 3*10
Alternating leg extensions w/ seated hamstring curls - 4 * 15
Reverse Hack Squats - 3 *12, 5 plates aside
Dumbbell stiff leg deads w/ weighted smith machine sissy squats - 3*10-15, 110 dumbbells, 10+5 on either side of smith machine
Decline sit ups w/ hanging leg raises w/ leg extensions - 4 sets to failure (high reps), and 4 drops on the last set of leg extensions

For calves
Donkey calve raise machine w/ standing calve raise machine - 4 * 8-15 reps
Old school tibialis raises - 4 sets, static contraction and partial reps at the end of each set

7 minute HIIT - 20 seconds sprint, 30 seconds rest intervals. I would have gone a longer, but my gym was closing.

Then stretching to close it out.

TOTAL: about 90 minutes. 23 sets of thighs (super set =1 set), 4 sets of abs, 8 sets of calves. 35 Sets total.

That's about as good as it gets for thighs. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Pretty happy with that.

On my reps, I just approximate, because I lose count anyway. So that is probably plus or minus 3 on everything.

I like that one squat machine in my gym, because you can go super heavy on it, and it just feels good mentally when you do that.

First time ever I did reverse hack squats after watching Layne Norton do them. It's a really good quad exercise, and you can go really heavy on this, too. Very short range of motion. I'll go up next time.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

Old 09-03-2007, 10:43 PM
Fahsy should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

Nice workout Gabe!
Old 09-03-2007, 10:48 PM
Dzoni should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

Looking good, reminds me of my volume days.

I'll be sure to keep asking more questions once you start posting full on with your diet and workouts etc [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-04-2007, 01:34 AM
lifting5 should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Glad to see another one of these, good luck!

You can train hard or you can train long, but you can't do both. And it just so happens that it takes hard training to build big muscles" - Mike Mentzer
Old 09-05-2007, 01:45 AM

Thanks for the encouragement, guys!

Today I did old schools delt and trap, first workouts for each. You can read those here, http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/worko...7&subId=44

I really like those two routines. Probably my favorite ones he designed.

I also did some forearms:

15-20-25 method on alternating hammer curls
5 sets of sitting barbell curls (15 reps) w/ farmers walk (really good pump on this!).

I was a little tired today. I got a poor nights sleep, so I was dazing off a little during the day. But I felt fine during and after my workout.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

Old 09-06-2007, 02:30 AM

Back, biceps, calves

4 sets full floor dead lifts - 405 (3*5), 315 (12) w/ wide grip lat pull downs (8-12 reps)
4 sets 21's on straight arm pull-overs
4 sets lying on the ground face pulls
4 sets t-bar row machine - 4 plates, 8-12 reps per set. 3 plates on the last set for a burnout
5 sets free weight pull-down machine - 3 sets 4 plates aside, 4 reps, several cheats, and hold at top for 10-15 seconds at the end. 2 sets 3 plates, 12 reps each
3 sets Bent over rows - 225 (3*10) w/ close grip pull-ups

Biceps - blood occlusion training.

I learned this from big fahsy! Read about it in the scientific article forum.

When doing this, I firmly wrap an LP compression wrap around my arm, as tight as I can without it actually causing pain. I only have one LP wrap that I brought from home, so I have to do one arm at a time for now. I have to find another one, because this thing rocks for calves and arms!

I do one arm at a time, then do the same thing with the other arm, with the rap on. I like to keep the rap on the entire time I do the sets, which is why I do one arm at a time before taking the wrap off.

5 sets one arm standing dumbbell curls
3 sets one arm, on preacher curl machine

Repeat with other arm.

The pump on this was great.

CALVES

I did staggard sets for calves in-between my back sets

8 sets incline calve raise machine
8 sets seated calve raise machine
4 sets standing reverse calve raises

I like staggard sets a lot. Basically, I was moving the entire time in the gym. I went from back, to calves, and almost immediately repeated that. No more than a minute rest between sets.

I really like going higher volume on my back. That has always worked well for me.

Total: about 2 hours, 24 sets back, 20 sets calves, 8 sets biceps. 52 sets total.

That was quite a lot. But time really flew by today. I just moved the entire workout and got in a really good flow state. Thank God for proper pre and post exercise nutrition!!! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies