Badblood's training journal. - Page 2 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 07-20-2007, 08:43 PM
tbone02 should change his/her status!

Default Re: Badblood\'s training journal.

[ QUOTE ]
Ugh [img]/forum/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Adductor isn't any better, I think I kinda aggravated in one of my deads.

Not only that, but I felt the usual every-two-weeks neck pain sneaking in, it still kinda hurts, but good things I stopped all upper body workouts then and there.

Some good stuff though, new PR's!

Deadlift: Singles up to 335, horray!
Bench Press: 195x4x5, PR!

Then I did some chinups and light lower body work.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a helluva deadlift. I don't know that I'll ever do singles--they just scare me.

Long-term goal: Weight 225lb with 14%BF. (195lb with 17.9%BF 6/25/07)
Old 07-20-2007, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pretty bummed that my leg isn't getting any better and my physical therapist is out of the country for one or two weeks, still no squats [img]/forum/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you been doing anything for therapy on your own?

[ QUOTE ]

Pullups: 10-10-10, HORRAY!

[/ QUOTE ]

Overhand grip? Straps? Wish I could do that, but I can't even get 3x10 chinups with straps.

Old 07-21-2007, 08:50 AM
badblood909 should change his/her status!
Middleweight

[ QUOTE ]
Have you been doing anything for therapy on your own?

[/ QUOTE ]

Somewhat, just same very light stretching, high-rep adductor/abductor machines and knee-to-chest kind of kicks.

It would get better if I wasn't hurting it almost everyday, any sort of impact (such as sitting quickly) hurts.

[ QUOTE ]
Overhand grip? Straps? Wish I could do that, but I can't even get 3x10 chinups with straps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, I don't use straps or gloves or anything (and I have a very weak grip), a decision I was reluctant to make because I thought it'd get in the way of my workouts. But now, I'm very happy that I made that decision.

First set was wide overhand grip, the other two were neutral, 2 minutes rest between sets.

You're a tall person so I'd imagine you're at a mechanical disadvantage, regardless, why not do them every workout? I do chins one workout, pullups the other, one of my goals is a one-handed pullup.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:06 PM
Middleweight

Ugh...

Spent some time re-reading the intermediate section in Practical Strength Programming.

I must say, the book is very badly organized, repeats the same **** thing a LOT, and is just hard to read.

I currently have some general idea of what direction I'll go, but there's still plenty of stuff to consider.

I could probably just wing the entire thing, but I'm pedantic, besides, I know I'll rid myself of some gains doing that.

Workouts go through the following:
1- Setup day(4x5), highest volume in my workout, this is the most important stage.

2- Light stage (speed work, variations of exercises, lower volume), used for recovery and variety.

3- PR's, or "medium day", medium referring to intensity, even though I'll be lifting my heaviest weights, they'll be singles.

I'll also stop doing deads every other workout and start throwing in some power cleans instead.

I also need to throw in some more assistance exercises for my bigger lifts.

The most thing I'm looking forward to is my light day, while speed sets sounds ****ing cool, but what I'm REALLY looking forward to are lifting variations, like one-arm DB deadlifts and stuff like that.

As for this week, I'll just lower the over-all intensity and relax.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:46 AM
Middleweight

A little bit more stressful than I had planned:

Deadlift: 240lbs for 5 reps, just the one set.
Machine ly + DB chest superset: ****ing fun, great pump, great sense of accomplishment, those HITers sure are lucky, I wish all my workouts were like that [img]/forum/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Then I did some leg curls, skull crushers, biceps curls, calves and lower ab work and stretches, relaxing workout overall.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You're a tall person so I'd imagine you're at a mechanical disadvantage, regardless, why not do them every workout? I do chins one workout, pullups the other, one of my goals is a one-handed pullup.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to do that, but I can't figure out how to fit them in my current workout routine:

A:
Squat
Bench
Dead
Dips
Abs

B:
Squat
Press
Row
Chins/Pullups
Abs

Bis and Tris final workout of week.

I'm thinking I could just add Chinups after dips in A, do pullups every B workout and add some hamstring/glute exercise(s) to the B workout to balance things out (eg good mornings, reverse hypers etc). What do you think?

Old 07-23-2007, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pretty bummed that my leg isn't getting any better and my physical therapist is out of the country for one or two weeks, still no squats [img]/forum/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

How's your leg? Maybe you should be including some body weight exercises to loosen up your "groin" and your hip flexors, eg BW lunges/static stretches, crossed leg stretches, side laying leg raises etc. I recently saw a video of an adduction exercise where you put your foot on a weight plate with your legs spread wide(not too wide) and you slide the foot resting on the plate into the other foot. Of course, you could do some light cable and/or ankle exercises too.

I can't tell how bad it hurts you, but keeping it loose and stretching it gently with some BW exercise/stretches should increase recovery time as long as you don't further strain it.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:37 PM
Middleweight

It's getting better, I can do adduction exercises no problem, it's somewhat of a flexor/adductor combo thing I guess, very hard to pinpoint which is weird, because it hurts the most when I do the butterfly stretch.

Anyhoo, if things keep going this way, I should be squatting in 2 weeks max, I'm used to ignoring body signals and ending up regretting it so it doesn't depress me as much anymore :s

As for doing pullups and chinups every workout, it really depends on your goals and why you choose the exercises you're doing.

For example, you squat each workout, that would kill me.
You bench press AND dip on the same workout, why not alternate?

Here's my old linear split(You can do subtitute bench with dips):
Squats/Press/Pullups/Rows/Calves/Abs
Deads/Bench/Chins/Hams/Arms/Calves/Abs

People are always suggesting not tinkering with the program you're working on, I don't know why, being happy with what you're doing is very important, and I was VERY happy with this.

Note that my rows are done in 6-8 reps with a minute's rest (while you strength train them), so mine aren't very intense.
An average workout runs at about 75 minutes (which is cool since it's not THAT high volume, your body can take it, plus, I sip my "PWO" shake throughout).
Old 07-24-2007, 03:12 PM
Middleweight

Sore throat, runny nose, phlegm city [img]/forum/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I also didn't sleep well last night, but I got nothing tomorrow so hopefully I'll pull a 9+ hour, won't workout tomorrow unless I magically feel much better.

Might as well, it's a rest week anyway.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:24 PM
Middleweight

Cousin pushed me to workout today, had a light one.

Overall, felt pretty good, I just did really light weights, no intensity at all.

I also did some squats and overhead squats with just the bar, leg felt ok, felt pretty good while stretching too, but not totally healed, I think I'll be able to squat by Wednesday.

Also did some dragon flags, I can do them, but my neck strains for the grip, love the exercise though so I'm gonna work on it more often.