Need a little extra advice - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Old 07-03-2007, 01:16 PM
missko11 should change his/her status!
Stranger

Default Need a little extra advice

Hi Everyone ! I'm a new member and would love some advice on dropping that extra 10 lbs and really exposing my muscles. I've always been very active- I lift and do cardio around 6 days a week. I'm educated on the importance of diet.... I guess its not coming together for me. I feel like I'm in limbo... my body has got to a certain point and I'm having difficulty pushing it further... any advice thats worked for you on losing that extra to really tone ?
Old 07-03-2007, 01:35 PM
westlondonflex should change his/her status!
Lightweight

Default Re: Need a little extra advice

Tweak your diet, lower carbs and increase 0mega 3 fats. Switch the type of cardio your doing. Try HIIT. Add some supps which aid in fat burning. Fish oils, green tea extract, caffeine, calcium.

Would be helpful if you included your current workout plan, diet and stats for advice more specific to you.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:05 PM
Stranger

thanks for the reply... my current workout plan consists of 10 minutes warm up run on tredmil... speed around 7.5-8... then I'll go into weights for about 30 minutes.... cardio for around 30 minutes... stretching and abs-- maybe an early morning run 3miles.. mountain biking etc

as far as my diet goes-- i've been trying to eat 5-6 times a day... breakfast... eggs whites and a piece of canadian bacon... later protein shakes (half soy milk/water)... lunch... tuna? chicken? then another shake... dinner is usally a meat with veggies... I've tried cutting out carbs the past week (south beach- ive done this before and its helped) but I'm not really seeing results...

I've been getting frustrated... I know I need to relax and its comes with time... but I want results !! : )
Old 07-04-2007, 01:02 PM
westlondonflex should change his/her status!
Lightweight

Regular soy milk tends to have a lot of sugar, I'd swap that with some kind of powdered protein shake.

If you just want to loose mass then do cardio with high intensity first thing in the morning before breakfast. Also take some caffeine and green tea extract before exercising. Also supplement with fish oil through out the day

And stick to your low carb diet, the results will come
Old 07-06-2007, 11:39 PM
flowerkitty should change his/her status!
Lightweight

I think for those last ten pounds you are going to need to be a little more structured with nutrition, and a little harder in the gym.

Find out how many calories you need to maintain your weight, and take a couple hundred off of that, between 250-500. However, as a rule of thumb, you shouldn't go under your weight times 10. So if you're 130lb, don't go under 1,300 calories.

for the structure, I would suggest this:
Before and after your workouts, eat protein and carbs.
Before bed eat a slow digesting protein (such as something with casien: cottage cheese, or plain yogurt) with healthful fats
Everything else should be green leafy veggies, healthful fats, and lean protein.

It would look something like:

pre-workout:
oatmeal/whey
post-workout:
sweet potato/canned tuna (no mayo)
snack:
big salad/chicken breast/olive oil
dinner:
fatty fish/green veggies
pre-bed:
fat-free cottage cheese/fish oil

This is just a suggestion.

About the gym. I think you should warm-up for only 5 minutes, and then hit the weights for atleast 45 minutes, 3x a week. If you normally workout your entire body, switch to a two or three day split. Such as upper body, lower body days, or the classic 3 day split of arms, shoulders/back/chest, and legs. Seperate your cardio by doing it on alternate days or 6 hours before or after weight lifting. If this is not possible, then do it after, as you have been doing. If you have not tried it yet, try to do some HIIT.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:18 PM
Stranger

I love your advice ! Thank you ! I actually just got information on "Body for Life" and what you explained seemed a lot like that ! It suggests weights 3 days a week... rotating uppers and lowers... and on the other 3 HIIT... cardio.. but for only 20 minutes... Do you think thats enough cardio to get the results I want? I guess I'm still stuck in the mode of needing to do weights and cardio 6 days a week. Maybe this will be a good change. Also, about the carbs... before and after my workouts? I trust ya... : )
Old 07-09-2007, 04:16 PM
Lightweight

I am not familiar with the Body for Life, so I can't really judge it.

It is good that you are already used to going to the gym 6x a week. But instead of doing weights and cardio each time, do one or the other every other time. This will give your body more time to recover, especially so if you have been working out full body everyday.

If you were doing weights for your entire body everyday, or if you have never seperated bodyparts, then I would suggest the upper/lower body split. You would get the same results as you would with a three day split. (you may even get better results, because of less bad stress and the possibility of unintentionally overreaching/overtraining)

It looks like you go to the gym for 1 hour everyday? So instead of doing 30 minutes cardio then 30 minutes weights, you'd do something that looks like this:

monday:
lower body
tuesday:
cardio
wednesday:
upper body
thursday:
cardio
friday:
lower body
saturday:
cardio
sunday:
rest
monday:
upper body
etc

Not weight lifting everyday, and not using the same bodyparts everyday, or even every other day, allows your body to fully recover. When fully recovered you can lift harder and better. You'll make more gains in the long run.

Assuming you want to maintain your muscle mass/even build a little and burn the most calories possible, you should pick a few exercises and do 3 sets of about 9-15 repititions. You should take about 60-120 seconds of rest between each set. You have to get a heavy enough weight to have you fail around 12-15 reps. This means on your third set, you should NOT be able to do a 16th rep. Personally I try to stick to around 12 reps. Once I can go over 12 reps on my third set, I take note and use a heavier weight next time. Usually using a weight heavy enough to only do 1-6 reps is for strength training. I encourage you to do a couple exercises each week in this range, to change it up a little, and also build your strength. But normally stick to the 9-15 range. Don't be afraid to lift heavy, although possible, it is terribly hard to build even a small amount of muscle mass on a calorie deficit.

As for the cardio, 20 minutes of HIIT may be enough if you do it seriously high intensity. Personally I do HIIT for about 30-35 minutes. I always have a 5 minute warm-up and a 3-5 minute cool down. In between I do 8 intervals. Usuaully I do 1 minute sprinting with 2 minutes of recovery. Sometimes I also do 1 minute sprinting, 2 minutes recovery, 2 minutes sprinting, 2 minutes recovery, repeat. You can do this on any machine, you don't necessarily need to run. So a typical HIIT workout for me would be:

5 minute warm up walking 4.0 MPH
1 minute running 8.0
2 minutes walking 4.0
2 minutes running 7.5
2 minute walking 4.0
1 minute running 8.0
2 minutes walking 4.0
2 minutes running 7.5
2 minutes walking 4.0
1 minute running 8.0
2 minutes walking 4.0
2 minutes running 7.5
2 minute walking 4.0
1 minute running 8.0
2 minutes walking 4.0
2 minutes running 7.5
4 minute cool down walking 4.0

This burns a good amount of calories in a small amount of time and also conditions your body to burn more calories at rest. If the instensity of this is too high, or too low, configure it to your liking. (change the 4.0 to a slower walk or maybe a slow jog, or make the sprints slower or faster) You can play with it however you'd like. Try to do a little more each time you do it, and try to use different machines every time. It may looks ridiculous "sprinting" on an elliptical but you can and it burns A LOT of calories.

After your cardio workouts, you can work out abs, if you'd like. More than 3x a week is not necessary for abs.

To recap, you'd still be in the gym for an hour 6x a week, you'd just be alternating weights/cardio and you'd be doing each with more intensity than before. See how this works for you for the next 2-6 weeks, and you can change it up again from there.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:39 PM
Stranger

I'm so excited to try this !! Thank you so much for taking the time to explain it all ! I'll keep you updated ! If you think of anything else... anything at all please be sure to share ! Thanks again !
Old 07-09-2007, 08:22 PM
Lightweight

Its no problem. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Just keep us updated on how it goes and come back with any questions you may have.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:42 AM
Adam Knowlden should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

Wow FlowerKitty! Very impressive layout!!