Psyching Up - Page 3 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Scientist Department > Psychology of Bodybuilding

Notices

Old 05-31-2007, 03:38 PM
skinnyman2 should change his/her status!

Default Re: Psyching Up

Hey Layne,
I just watched some of your vids.
Is it possible that you're very strong for your muscle mass?
I mean when you do bench pressing with 150lbs dumbells then the pros like Cutler or Coleman should be using 280+ lbs dumbells but somehow their strength doesn't seem to be proportional to their mass.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:13 PM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

Yes, Layne is incredibly strong. But using weight as a determinant for how much someone should lift can be flawed.

Strength and performance gains in general are asymptotic. So it is not always valid—particularly in very elite performances such as the example you gave off benching 280 pound dumbbells—to say that someone is “relatively” as strong as someone else, in relation to bodyweight. No matter how much someone weighs, they will only be able to lift so much weight. So benching 280 dumbbells, for instance, is not likely to happen for pretty much anyone, no matter how much they weigh.

The other factor is that strength is task specific. Bodybuilders practice many tasks to increase their size. But those tasks - such as dumbbell flys - generaly will contribute little to other skills - such as dumbbell bench. So in general bodybuilders muscularity is not completely proportional to their strength in given lift. I would read this article for the mechanisms behind strength and hypertrophy , http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/neuraladaptations.pdf http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/april...andanswers.php

And I'll definitely take a look at your forums, Layne!
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:15 PM
klosey is 51 visitors online right now ! Let's get that number higher!!
Super Moderator

our gym has a big picture of marius pudz up and the old york brothers that is big inspiration
Old 07-12-2007, 11:06 PM
amino is probably eating
Lightweight

[ QUOTE ]
I crush empty soda cans against my forehead, does wonders.

[/ QUOTE ]
lmao
Old 07-12-2007, 11:11 PM
amino is probably eating
Lightweight

[ QUOTE ]
What helps you guys get pumped up when you workout? I don't usually do anything to get me ready, but I always have to have my music during my workout.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really need to get an ipod... =/
My gym absolutely kills my motivation sometimes with their Sirius radio.
I was just pinned under the barbell a few weeks ago because of a ****ed Bruce Hornsby or Billy Joel piano song.

It's amazing what music can do to alter your psyche.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:56 PM
airborneninja should change his/her status!
Bantamweight

I like to do a short run before a workout -- I dissapear into the mental void when I run.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:20 PM
joneser3eb is adding weight to the bar
Steel-Heavyweight

I always have to have music on. Just helps me get in the right mind. then if I am going to do a heavy weight set, I try and visualize doing more reps then I need so my mind is set beyond what I can do.If I need 8 reps I make myself think I need 10 so I can get to the 8. seems to help me
Old 07-19-2007, 12:14 AM
Mr.Jack is lazy and turning into a big blob of fat.
Rookie

My mp3 player is currently effed and i really don't feel like soldering , music really helps! (and whatever's on the radio just mellows me down , the things they're playing...not music)
Generally , having friends that lift is a huge benefit.
You know , hearing that "come on , pull harder" at the very last rep.
I wouldn't do any Bench presses without a spotting partner anyway, one false move and you're going to be in a lot of pain :P.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:07 PM
rootb33r is probably at work, daydreaming about the gym
Heavyweight

Well I just joined a really nice World Gym that is really close to my home/work so that's got me pumped at the moment lol. Also about to buy a new car which is exciting so I'm kind of on a natural high these days.

Anyway, as for psyching up before a big lift, right before I start I'll make sure I take three big breaths. I don't really know how to explain it, but the three breaths have to be "clean" and full and they have to feel good. I have slight OCD and I know it comes in to play here. I also try to time the first rep (or if it's dumbells, the 'throwback/liedown') to a really jamming part of a song that I know gets me psyched.

Sometimes I'll turn on a really rocking hardcore psych-up song and imagine myself in a little home-made video with that song playing in the background, like in movies where the climax of the movie is preceded/incorporated with some pump-up song. This is also hard to explain, but I pretend like I'm filming myself and the camera is rotating around as I stand there psyching myself up and the song is playing in the background and the climax of the video is coming up. I have a kind of director-artsy mind so I have some really cool "camera shots" I envision along with the song and that "imaginary movie" gets me pumped.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:30 AM
Wei should change his/her status!
Rookie

fast, brutal metal always helps
positive affirmations, telling myself i can do it
and uh... watching dragonball z :P seriously, goku and vegeta yelling for 5 minutes straight while they turn supersaiyan, that's some intense stuff.