Psyching Up - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Scientist Department > Psychology of Bodybuilding

Notices

Old 05-25-2007, 11:37 PM
God's_Warrior should change his/her status!
Lightweight

Default Psyching Up

What helps you guys get pumped up when you workout? I don't usually do anything to get me ready, but I always have to have my music during my workout.

You?

BTW W00t 1st topic lol.
<font color="silver">John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son, that whosoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life.</font>
<font color="orange">Phillipians 4:13 I can do everything through him who gives me strength.</font>
<font color="yellow">Psalm 23:4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.</font>
<font color="pink">Psalm 23:1 The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.</font>
<font color="lime">John 14:6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.</font>

http://www.power-viking.com/zshop/img/PicSign.jpg
VIKING POWER!!!

http://www.magnus-samuelsson.net/gfx...raining_03.jpg
SWEDISH POWER!!!
Old 05-25-2007, 11:49 PM
gymforlord should change his/her status!

Default Re: Psyching Up

[ QUOTE ]
What helps you guys get pumped up when you workout? I don't usually do anything to get me ready, but I always have to have my music during my workout.

You?

BTW W00t 1st topic lol.

[/ QUOTE ]
Music-but I also pray before I work out. I remind myself I am working out to be a better, stronger man for the Lord. Maybe sounds corny, but helps get me pumped!
Old 05-26-2007, 07:49 AM
Zee-German is bulking, goal of 250lbs
Middleweight

http://elliot.youaremighty.com/

Always gets me pumped.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:13 AM
Bahir is on a diet of scrambled eggs and CC
Light-Heavyweight

I sometimes watch some bodybuilding videos - usually Ronnie, but also Lee Haney, Arnold and others.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:35 PM
maverickBU is kinda famous
Heavyweight

I have certain superstitions I use only on sets whre I'm not sure I'll get my target reps, usually only 1 rep maxes. Not a "psyche up" perse like ronnie screaming "LIGHTWEIGHT BABY!" or anything.

When I work out, I tie my wedding ring to my shorts drawstring. Whenever I need that extra mental boost, I'll rub my wedding ring just before I start the set. I know, its goofy, but its personal and frankly, a lot better than those who need to let everyone in the gym know they are psyching up.

23-8 in the ABC Fight Corner
Old 05-26-2007, 04:09 PM
Adam Knowlden should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

I get myself excited about the first exercise in my routine. Like Bahir I also like to watch some bbing videos.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:08 PM
gymforlord should change his/her status!

Also being inspired by the physiques of folk I admire like Eddie Robinson, Gaspari &amp; Lee Labrada really helps me, too.

Old 05-26-2007, 07:25 PM
Down 2 Die should change his/her status!
Middleweight

I think bout getting real strong or imagine myself as Flex

Days tobacco free: 48
Old 05-26-2007, 11:35 PM
Dzoni should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

I personally need that energy that is created when I yell something out, something like "UP" or "C'MON" something, it's a hard explanation, but it feels like I can lift anything, without that sort of psyche up I don't tend to hit my target.

Anyways, I am not the type who does it for attention, I have found out the times that my gym is pretty much empty and go in to lift then. Because I hate the attention people give you if they hear you psyching up. So I go when it's dead. This gives me the opportunity to do my own thing without disturbing anyone or get disturbed by someone giving me the eye cause I need to get ready mentally.

I try to block everything out of my head, even how much weight I am about to move, simply because anything will distract me and I cannot afford that.

Good to see some other techniques of getting psyched up, maybe some of these will help me too!
Old 05-27-2007, 05:40 AM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

Right before my set, I do a couple of things for really hard-core lifts like squats:

1. I play a motivating song on my Ipod. Typically metallic (i.e. harvest of sorrow)
2. I use imagery. Results are clear on the efficacy of this technique. I image myself performing the lift successful, and realistically just like I have done before. And I often image myself doing 1-2 extra reps than I have done before. I image myself lifting fluently, and confidently. Then I do my lift. It is important that your images are realistic and similar to the environment and tempo that you lift.
3. Before and a little after my imagery, I'll either jump up and down, or move around a bit to get my nervous system ready to go.
4. I use positive self talk before, sometimes during the lift. Ronnie does this (i.e. nothing but a peanut, light weight, etc.).
5. When I perform the lift, I focus on the process. I don't worry too much about getting a certain amount of reps, just getting the most reps that I can, and focusing on each lift one at a time. Results show a process oriented mentality during activities can improve performance, decrease anxiety, and increase self confidence. Discussed more here, http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/goalsindex.php

I think routine is vital. When I perform my lift, I notice nothing else around me. I am completely focused on the task at hand.

Another piece of advice I have is choosing realistic goals. If you choose something unrealistic, like lift 25 pounds more than you have ever done, the anxiety is so high, that it is hard to be confident or focus on your task as much. So try and pick realistic weights more so than not.

A spotter can also be gold if you have one. They can motivate you to get an extra rep or two, and do the shouting for / with you. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.