is gatorade good for cardio ? - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > In Depth Nutrition

Notices

Old 04-12-2007, 04:12 AM
YetiUSA is cool
Bantamweight

Default is gatorade good for cardio ?

iam trying to lower my body fat and was wondering if drinking gatorade during cardio is good or bad
Old 04-12-2007, 04:50 AM
Wzs99 should change his/her status!
Lightweight

Default Re: is gatorade good for cardio ?

Gatorade might not be such a good idea since it contain sugar. If fat loss is the goal of the diet then the diet should have very very low amount or no sugar at all.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:17 AM
Trench is is on a mission!
Light-Heavyweight

I drink it along with my whey shake after a serious workout. doesn't seem to do any harm in my cut.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:34 PM
JonAtkins57 should change his/her status!

It's more beneficial afterwards, due to the electrolytes which your body demands post workout. Drink the small ones though, since they also have some sugar, good for flavor... I usually water them down if I drink them.
Stats 01/02/2007: 211 pounds @ 25% bodyfat
Stats 07/28/2006: 247 pounds @ 34% bodyfat
Old 04-12-2007, 01:13 PM
Builder15 should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
It's more beneficial afterwards, due to the electrolytes which your body demands post workout. Drink the small ones though, since they also have some sugar, good for flavor... I usually water them down if I drink them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do not drink gatorade before, during, or after cardio. The hyperinsulinemic response will inhibit fat metabolism if you drink it before/during your cardio. If you drink it after, then you are just supplying your body with carbs to burn which will slow down your fat metabolism.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:43 PM
sucramdw should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do not drink gatorade before, during, or after cardio. The hyperinsulinemic response will inhibit fat metabolism if you drink it before/during your cardio. If you drink it after, then you are just supplying your body with carbs to burn which will slow down your fat metabolism.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, if your goal is fat metabolism, then I would wait 30-60min. post cardio to have a meal rich in protein and complex carbs or for more extreme dieting take out the carb and add a fat along with leafy greens.

I however would never do cardio without having a good amount of essential amino acids pre and post to stave off catabolism.

Also if the question is reworded for cardio efficiency or even to maximize a weight workout, the answer is different. You see, our primary source of fuel for exercises above 60-70%VO2max is muscle glycogen, not blood glucose.

Therefore postulate the question on when a sugary drink would be effective during a workout??

It would be effective when your glycogen stores are depleted, which happens roughly 90-120min. into exercise, more likely at 2 hours and above. So something like gatorade would have an effect and may be a good supplement for long duration workouts.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:04 PM
JonAtkins57 should change his/her status!

[ QUOTE ]
It would be effective when your glycogen stores are depleted, which happens roughly 90-120min. into exercise, more likely at 2 hours and above. So something like gatorade would have an effect and may be a good supplement for long duration workouts.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree 100%.
Stats 01/02/2007: 211 pounds @ 25% bodyfat
Stats 07/28/2006: 247 pounds @ 34% bodyfat
Old 04-13-2007, 12:21 AM
YetiUSA is cool
Bantamweight

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what i thought what would be a good post and pre cardio meal?
Old 04-13-2007, 02:24 PM
Builder15 should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what i thought what would be a good post and pre cardio meal?

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally would make pre and post meals pro/fat. You will have plenty of energy to do light to moderate intensity cardio and will not inhibit fat metabolism. Of course if you are doing cardio first thing in the morning, just take some BCAA's before or nothing at all, but keep the meal after your cardio pro/fat.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:36 PM
shtanga should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Water, Water, Water