It begins again - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 03-22-2008, 11:01 AM
Growth In Motion is always ready
Heavyweight

Default It begins again

Thought i'd start up a journal again. Details are i workout once a week, on Saturdays. School's takin up alot of time. Im also trying to have a speed day for bench and deads on either Tuesday or Wednesday. My goals are just to get stronger and develop some power in my bench and deads. I'd like to be able to bench around 1.4-1.5x my BW, and deadlift 100kg more than my BW. So with my current weight that would be bench 105kg-110kg, and dead 173kg

Basic workout format is a couple of pressing movements a couple of pulling movements, a full body or leg movement. I rarely do more than one working set per exercise. I used to do HIT only doing one set per exercise and it suited me. I do a warm up set before each exercise then the working set

22-3-08

Inc DB Bench 10/10kg 13/20kg
Chins 5/BW 8/3.5kg
Dips 5/10kg 7.5/15kg 4.5/20kg (2 working sets)
Pulldowns 3/50kg 8/58kg
Good Mornings 10/30kg 10/42.5kg
DB Laterals SS BB Shrugs 8/7.5kg SS 30/50kg

Good workout. Happy with db presses. Went for continuous chins rather than rest-pause style like i have been doing. Added an extra working set for dips cuz i only did two pressing exercises. Pulldowns were good, except i need to put a plate on my legs or something. I use a cage that doesnt have a pad and the weight im using is getting high enough to make me move around. Good mornings were good. Maybe a little decrease on reps. Shrugs were good. I've still got alittle power, and i should make some nice power gains in the coming months.

Also, i weigh around 73kg. Right now bench is probably about 90kg, and i wouldnt have a clue what dead is at the moment, over 150kg though. My plan of action is to do speed work, which includes speed bench, power cleans and oly squats, to get my maxes on bench and dead up without needing to bench or dead alot. Deadlifters dont deadlift that much, preferring to do assistance exercises for speed, power and strength. Hopefully this works for me [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-22-2008, 01:35 PM
Vamoose should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Default Re: It begins again

[ QUOTE ]
Deadlifters dont deadlift that much, preferring to do assistance exercises for speed, power and strength. Hopefully this works for me [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I had that luxury. Can't do anything else because of my right knee.

The reason deadlifters don't deadlift much is because it takes everything out of you. My deadlift has gone up over the past couple months (deadlifting 1-2 times per week), and I'm still strong in the weight room, but the other 23 hours a day moving is a struggle.

Resting up for a couple weeks, deadlifting one last time, and then I'm done for at least a year.
"Do not make the mistake of limiting your practices to any one set of lifts...Practice everything...single and double-handed lifts, snatching and swinging, jerking and pressing, lying down with weights, supporting weights, lifting weights while laid on the back, ring weights, human weights, and, if possible, double-handed lifts to the knee, and harness lifts, also holding the bell aloft and bringing a weight after with the disengaged hand." ~ Arthur Saxon
Old 03-23-2008, 10:26 PM
Heavyweight

Yea they take way too much out of you. Ive read they prefer to do good mornings cuz you still work your lower back but its alot easier on it and you can recover more quickly. Ive done GMs the past two weeks and they work for me

Hows your dead lookin now?
Old 03-23-2008, 10:54 PM
Middleweight

Tested it a month ago at the end of a 2-month diet in which I lost 10lbs I hit a 10lb PR with 425. Have since gained back most (if not all) of the weight and I'm feeling a lot stronger now. Pulled 503lbs using the lightened method on Friday. No idea what it was off the floor, but it was hard, and the lockout was brutal.
"Do not make the mistake of limiting your practices to any one set of lifts...Practice everything...single and double-handed lifts, snatching and swinging, jerking and pressing, lying down with weights, supporting weights, lifting weights while laid on the back, ring weights, human weights, and, if possible, double-handed lifts to the knee, and harness lifts, also holding the bell aloft and bringing a weight after with the disengaged hand." ~ Arthur Saxon
Old 03-23-2008, 10:56 PM
richnewton is tired.
Light-Heavyweight

what's the lightened method
Old 03-23-2008, 11:00 PM
Middleweight

The lightened method, also known as reverse band deadlifts, is basically you suspend a bar-bell from the safety pins using elastic bands. The bands lighten the load off the floor but if you set things up correctly they lose all their tension once the bar-bell clears the knee. Then it's all you. Basically you get the benefit of a partial rack deadlift by working the lockout with a supra-maximal weight without the downside of altering your lifting mechanics.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:08 PM
richnewton is tired.
Light-Heavyweight

Oh ok. The liftoff is my strongest part of the lift so it wouldn't help me out I don't think.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:38 AM
Heavyweight

Okay, since my last post i have done a regular workout and a speed day

Speed Day Wed 26-3-08

Bench Press
2/72.5kg 2/77.5 4/50 (down set)
1/80 4/50 (down set)
1/82.5 3/40

Happy with how it went. My form was good, but im lacking alot of power. I still pressed the heavier ones strong though. With my form the way it is, which is a little touchy with the heavier weights, im gonna see so strength increase just from having a more fluid, consistent action. Correct speed for the eccentric phase could probably add around 6-7kg for me. And as i develop power around this form, i'll probably be able to press more than i really should be, just because of the power-form combination. I pretty sure this was the case a while ago, when i was pressing 85kg weigh about 70kg. I could barely get 72ish for two or three reps, but i could get 85kg lol. Thats power for you

Power Cleans
3/45kg 2/52.5 2/60

Wasnt pleased with the power cleans. Form was abit off cuz i havent done them in a while, although a good sign is that im alot stronger in the lower back since doing them last. I didnt have the power i used to have, bur got the same results with slower pulling. Two weeks and i'll be right though.

Olympic Squats
3/72.5kg 3/85 3/95 2/105

Nice and slow squats. I paused at the bottom to emulate the start of deadlifts, then blasted up. Im happy with how they went. 105kg was a good weight to choose, and as this is the first speed day it'll get up a bit. I reckon i need to improve my form slightly though

Overall good session

Regular Workout Sat 29-3-08

Rocky Presses 2/40, 5/45
Chins 3/BW, 8/3.75kg
Dips 2/12.5, 6.5/16.25kg
Pulldowns (wide grip) 3/45, 10/55
Good Mornings 5/30, 6/47.5
Farmers SS DB Curls 30kg SS 10kg

Good workout. Rocky presses were good. Great for shoulders going from front to back between each rep. Modified my front pressing form slightly to hit delts alittle harder. Chins were good, huge progress from last week, felt good going through the reps. Dips were great. The weights just keep getting lighter. Im doing the same reps but adding like 1kg each time. The other day when i used 20kg felt like a good weight to use, but i'll progress up to it.

Can i just ask anyone who's reading this how much they add for doing dips, and what rep and set schemes they do?

Decided to do some wider pulldowns which were real good. Good weight selection, maybe increase by 2-2.5kg next time. Good mornings were good. My back is feeling stronger. I like the lower rep range for these. Finished with farmers and some db curls, just cuz i like hitting traps bis and forearms. Forearms got a nice pump which made the curls all the better for me. The chins are workin nice for me cuz my curls are getting stronger and i very rarely do any
Old 04-08-2008, 04:13 AM
Heavyweight

The other day i did a regular session

Sat 5-4-08

DB Inc Bench 4/20kg 6/25
Chins 3/BW 8/4.5kg
Dips 3/12 9/17kg
Wide Pulldowns 3/45 9.5/57
Static BB Holds 80kg

Good session. DB Inc was good. Good stretch on the upper pecs and shoulders. Chins were good. Got 8 reps adding .75kg from last week. Dips were good. The speed work has already given me benefits. I was very explosive during the press, to the extent i added a couple of reps from last week, as well as adding weight. Pulldowns were good. Finished with some static bb holds to get my grip alittle stronger. No good mornings cuz lower back got a good working the wednesday before from squats on speed day.