Current Perspectives in Dieting Programs--Nutrisystem - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Scientist Department > HYPERplasia Research

Notices

Old 01-24-2007, 05:33 AM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

Default Current Perspectives in Dieting Programs--Nutrisystem

As a Kinesiologist, it is really important to me that I am cognizant of the efficacy of current, and popular dieting programs--atkins, south beach, etc.

I am sure many of you have seen the latest dieting program, nutrisystem. Go here, http://www.nutrisystem.com/?IID=7328

So I want this post to be dedicated to two things:

1. Analyzing the efficacy of this program from a scientific perspective - In order to do this, we need someone here to explain exactly what they are doing, and then analyze why what they are doing is good, bad, or just suboptimal.
2. Analyzing the efficacy of the business methods being used.

I am interested in knowing what you guys think on the business tactics they are using. It seems to me--and I would consider myself a layman in the business advertisement--that they are really limiting themselves. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Briefly, they seem to be emphasizing a male population. i.e. they commonly use the saying, "man food" and almost all of their commercials are on NFL analysists or athletes. Second, they seem to be targeting an out of shape population. I mean, does it really motivate any of you to look like John Kruk lol?!!? These commercials just don't motivate me.

But maybe that is good advertisement for their goals.

I look forward to hearing your guys thoughts!
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:16 AM
j-dub should change his/her status!
Rookie

Default Re: Current Perspectives in Dieting Programs--Nutrisystem

Some brief thoughts I have on the subject:

I agree that they are targeting the out of shape male.

I have a friend whose father lost quite a bit of weight with Nutrisystem. I believe the reason he lost weight is because of severe calorie restriction. Let's take a sample diet for one day. The way it works is you eat the foods you like so I'll pick one food from each meal category and let's see what we'll be getting.

Breakfast
Cinammon Swirl Granola Bar
150 calories 2.5f 27c 7p

Lunch
Chicken Stew with Barley
150 calories 2f 20c 13p

Dinner
Chili with Beans
270 calories 6f 27c 18p

Dessert
Cheddar Cheese Crunchy Curls
110 calories 2f 22c 2p

Totals
680 calories 12.5f 96c 40p

Bodybuilder or not, I would not feel good on this diet. I did not analyze the ingredients enough to see if they use sources of proteins that combined will give a complete amino acid profile, but I can say that not much of it comes from meat. Other than that, I will say there is quite a bit of fiber in the foods. There seems to be a decent macronutrient ratio, but I would think this diet system will cause a very noticeable drop in metabolism.

**EDIT**
It appears that I missed something. You add in fresh fruits and vegetables as well as some dairy throughout the day. This will add some cals and protein, but it still looks like we'd be dealing with a pretty severe calorie restriction.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:21 PM
tarheelsykes should change his/her status!
Middleweight

it is definitely a severe caloric reduction, and the current commercials are funny with all the former athletes, but i think quite a good marketing strategy. cause clearly the common NFL couch potato would like to lose weight, but is likely lazy. what is easier than having a program that is laid out for you and simple, you just have to eat what I send you. I know if you look at other channels (HGTV, LMN, etc, hey i'm married I have to share control of the TV) you will see nutrisystem commercials directed towards the female population. While I am sure it is effective in causing weight lose, I dont see it easily transferring into a lifestyle. it seems without the laid out diet they would be likely to switch back to old habits.

"Everyone bring joy when they walk in the front door of a gym, some on the way in, some on the way out"
Old 01-24-2007, 02:49 PM
lifting5 should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Isn't the diet based on "separating the good carbs from the bad?" It seems like Nutrisystem is taking credit for discovering the glycemic index or something[img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. I'm not familiar with the food, but after looking at the sample diet that j-dub described, it seems like it works due to an extremely low cal diet. Unless you plan on eating those small portions for the rest of your life, I would think people would resort to old habits and gain back all the weight they lost.

You can train hard or you can train long, but you can't do both. And it just so happens that it takes hard training to build big muscles" - Mike Mentzer
Old 01-24-2007, 04:17 PM
j-dub should change his/her status!
Rookie

Maybe that's what they want. The people come off of Nutrisystem and gradually(or maybe not so gradually) return to their old weight. Then they think about how great and easy Nutrisystem was. Bam. Repeat Customer.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:15 AM
lifting5 should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe that's what they want. The people come off of Nutrisystem and gradually(or maybe not so gradually) return to their old weight. Then they think about how great and easy Nutrisystem was. Bam. Repeat Customer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, sad, but most likely true. It's pretty awful when companies are more concerned with revenue than the actual health of their customers. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

You can train hard or you can train long, but you can't do both. And it just so happens that it takes hard training to build big muscles" - Mike Mentzer
Old 01-26-2007, 03:07 AM
dalvare1 is Huge
Middleweight

Venom: They actually run seperate ads for men and women. I have seen both.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:25 AM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

Wow, that diet is horrible.

What is funny, is that they talk about the glycemic index; yet, they pretty much donít have any protein in many of their meals. And protein is excellent for controlling blood sugar levels. Not to mention that it has the highest satiety ranking, highest diet induced thermogenesis, and is responsible for muscle growth. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

And I guess it is a no fat diet?

The thing is, what diet today does not utilize the principles of the glycemic index? I mean, that is not innovative.

[ QUOTE ]
Venom: They actually run seperate ads for men and women. I have seen both.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why separate the commercials? I would think you would want to show both adds in all of your commercials.

Thanks guys, really helpful.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:13 AM
sucramdw should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

Ya, it seemed almost sexist to me, like women can't eat "Man food".
Old 02-01-2007, 08:21 AM
Baugh should change his/her status!
Rookie

[ QUOTE ]
Ya, it seemed almost sexist to me, like women can't eat "Man food".

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it might be sexist, but "man food" will appeal to a man a lot more then actually eating healthy food that might appear "girlish" to other in his man clan. Fact of the matter is, this system tries to appeal to our baser instincts of separation from the opposite sex instead of relying on general good health.