A Change of Pace - Page 3 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 03-02-2007, 02:11 AM
DirtbagDan should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Default Re: A Change of Pace

First and foremost, it is to avoid injury. Training to failure and beyond with heavy weight is best done with machines so you don't crush yourself under really heavy weight on your last struggling rep.

Secondly, you can skyrocket in strength with machines. The reason for this is that unlike freeweights, you are not bringing stabilizer muscles into play with machines. The goal with HIT and similar training programs is purely to build strength and size, so in this case, we are not concerned with training stabilizer muscles. They are a nonfactor here. Now that we have determined this, machines allow you to focus all your energy on purely lifting the weight without dispersing any additional mental effort in balancing the weight. All you need to do is PUSH! Zero mental or phsyical effort going towards balancing a weight means more concentration on contracting those deep muscle fibers to lift that heavy weight, which therefore will increase intensity, and in turn stimulate greater growth.

Now with that said, machines are not worse or better than freeweights. This boils down to the principle of specificity. Meaning, you do that which is specific to your goal(s). My goal is to simply build larger and stronger muscles, so I have no concern for stabilizer muscles or increasing a skill in a specific activity or exercise. Therefore, if I had access to nautilus machines, I would use them all the **** time! Funny thing is I used to be vehemently anti-machine, but then I realized what I just told you guys!

But above all, remember... it's not the machine or the freeweight barbell that builds muscle, it's YOU. Unless a machine feels awkward for you (as is the case with me with a few machines), then simply don't use it.

"Some people call me a fat pig in the off season, but when I step on stage those same people are kissing my @ss" - Lee Priest

"That last rep where you're trying as hard as you can and you barely make it! That is what turns on the growth mechanism in your body. That last almost impossible rep where you're bearing your teeth, you're shaking all over, you need assistance! That rep is very special, that rep is very different. There's something special going on inside your body when that happens." - Mike Mentzer
Old 03-02-2007, 06:59 AM
Down 2 Die should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Interesting

Days tobacco free: 48
Old 03-04-2007, 06:54 PM
lifting5 should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Dan pretty much answered the question for me. I also used to be anti-machine, but after learning about HIT and hearing Mentzer praise the Nautilus machines, I gave them a try. I've always dealt with some minor injuries, and the machines and workouts allow me to be more intense than ever before, and have safer workouts. I want to start incorporating some free weight work in, but I want to stick with these exercises for awhile until I stop seeing progress. Nautilus makes incredible machines that are by far the best I've ever used.

You can train hard or you can train long, but you can't do both. And it just so happens that it takes hard training to build big muscles" - Mike Mentzer
Old 03-05-2007, 06:07 AM
j-dub should change his/her status!
Rookie

Thanks for the info!
Old 03-05-2007, 10:15 PM
Light-Heavyweight

No problem, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask. I love talking about this stuff.

You can train hard or you can train long, but you can't do both. And it just so happens that it takes hard training to build big muscles" - Mike Mentzer
Old 03-05-2007, 10:17 PM
Light-Heavyweight

3-5-07 Chest and back

Pec Deck ss Nautilus incline press
175x10 ss 215x5

Nautilus pullover machine ss close-grip pulldowns
170x9 ss 120x6

Nautilus row machine
185x12

Old 03-05-2007, 10:31 PM
Dzoni should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

Interesting lifting. Sounds like you got it down all well and good.

I personally only do free weights. But as I get up to a more advanced program I'll have to rely on machines, smiths, HS, Nautilus all the machines which can help me. Especially since I'm a single trainer and I will move up to the more advanced program and start using rest pause sets, so smiths is a life saver on the benches and delt presses.

How are you finding the shorter workouts? Not many deadlift sessions? Or squat sessions.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:16 AM
Light-Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting lifting. Sounds like you got it down all well and good.

I personally only do free weights. But as I get up to a more advanced program I'll have to rely on machines, smiths, HS, Nautilus all the machines which can help me. Especially since I'm a single trainer and I will move up to the more advanced program and start using rest pause sets, so smiths is a life saver on the benches and delt presses.

How are you finding the shorter workouts? Not many deadlift sessions? Or squat sessions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love the shorter workouts, it has given me a new hunger for the gym. I'm going to start doing deadlifts soon; I've had some abdominal strains and I'm just waiting for them to recover before I start doing the deads again. As for squatting, I have a tendon that pops over my knee during the eccentric part of squats, so I've had to give them up for awhile. I hate it [img]/forum/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]. I'm going to get active release done soon, so hopefully that will cure me of my problem. I miss doing the core exercises, and I'm going to incorporate some cleans into my program as well.

Old 03-06-2007, 01:21 AM
Dzoni should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

Yeah it does give you the feeling that you just want to go back in and lift heavy again and again.

I suggest deads, they're great for thickness, one week back session do rows, next back session deads, therefore you're never doing the same movement every back workout, this will quickly come to a stall in progression. I'm not saying "shock your muscles" or "switch things up" i just mean that you will progress a lot quicker with 1 movement therefore having to change things quicker, not really a good thing in my point of view.

Same goes with back width, pull downs one time, next time pull ups. Etc.

Have you got a hack squat in your gym, have you tried that, does that irritate your knees. To me hack is the second mass building ex in my book.

Looks liek you're smashing things up every workout, keep it up.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:29 PM
Light-Heavyweight

Thanks for the advice Dzoni, I really respect your posts on here. I'm definitely going to start doing deads, probably as soon as next back workout. With all these machine exercises I'm doing, I really miss some of the hardcore free weight exercises like deads and squats. I do have a hacksquat machine, but it also irritates my knee. It doesn't hurt, but I've heard a tendon slipping over bone can cause problems down the road, so for now I have to stick with leg press, which I'm getting tired of. Hopefully after this active release I will be cured of my tendon issues and then I can get back to those exercises.