A Change of Pace - Page 12 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 05-18-2007, 10:30 PM
Dzoni should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

Default Re: A Change of Pace

Haha. YEP! Did you know without changing things up every week your body will get used to it and just wont grow. Believe me, I haven't changed things in a long time, I am still small and shriveled [img]/forum/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] make sure you change (!@#$%^&*) around.

Lol, 5x5 has been used and abused lol simply cannot progress anymore man. But it was getting to me mentally too. The same 5 exercises in the week for over a year. LOL

Anywyas, the new program should go for a bit just to get used to the exercises, more reps etc. Before I start DC next year.

I just looked back, you've made an awesome progression with HIT. But as I said, weight should be the main progression.

OH I also get to eat fair bit more protein/fat meals starting Monday haha. YAY FOOD
Old 05-19-2007, 01:19 AM
lifting5 should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
I just looked back, you've made an awesome progression with HIT. But as I said, weight should be the main progression.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks man! I haven't even looked back yet because I felt it was still too soon. I definitely feel stronger and I'm starting to see the size increases somewhat, although I expected them to come somewhat later in the program. I agree that weight should be the main progression, and I actually took your advance of upping the weight each week for deadlifts instead of reps. Two weeks ago I did 335 8 times, and instead of trying for 9 or 10 the next time, I upped the weight to 345 and did 5. I liked the more weight part better [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. Enjoy those added cals next week bro, you should be ready to stuff your face after that little mental break from eating during your mini cut.

You can train hard or you can train long, but you can't do both. And it just so happens that it takes hard training to build big muscles" - Mike Mentzer
Old 05-20-2007, 07:05 PM
Light-Heavyweight

5-20-07 Legs

Squats
275x9

Nautilus hamstring curl machine
100x7

Free weight calf press
310x10

Squat weight is going up like crazy the past couple of weeks, so I'm very pleased with that. Also, my knee's felt really good today which hasn't been the case for the past 6 months, so I have to give a shout out to DirtBagDan for recommending the Lakota Joint Care Supplement. I started taking it last week not really expecting much, but my knee's felt awesome today! All in all, super pumped about the weights and how I felt today. Life is good [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

You can train hard or you can train long, but you can't do both. And it just so happens that it takes hard training to build big muscles" - Mike Mentzer
Old 05-20-2007, 09:23 PM
Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks man! I haven't even looked back yet because I felt it was still too soon. I definitely feel stronger and I'm starting to see the size increases somewhat, although I expected them to come somewhat later in the program. I agree that weight should be the main progression, and I actually took your advance of upping the weight each week for deadlifts instead of reps. Two weeks ago I did 335 8 times, and instead of trying for 9 or 10 the next time, I upped the weight to 345 and did 5. I liked the more weight part better [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. Enjoy those added cals next week bro, you should be ready to stuff your face after that little mental break from eating during your mini cut.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just remember going up bu 2.5 lb a side is still an increment. That is a pretty huge jump from 335 to 345... you could have gone up to 340 and still get 8 reps out of it [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-20-2007, 11:44 PM
Light-Heavyweight

Good point. I'll probably have to start doing that as my weights get higher and higher.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:52 AM
Heavyweight

Yeah, but if you think about it 5lb a week is a big jump. If you do that for 2-3 months that between 45-60lb increase on your lift. Depending how long you can keep progressing on that exercise, if you taper in between etc.

I mean 40lb increase on your lift is a big deal. I tend to still increase my weight by 5kg (11lb) every time, but I do the same lift every 2 weeks rather every week. When I used to do 5x5, it used to be every week, so 5lb a week was plenty for me. Especially once the big numbers started to creep up.

That also ensures you to keep progressing for a longer time, if you bust you balls every week 10lb, you will quickly fatigue and maybe be able to get 30-40lb in a month, but this way in two months your body wont be as damaged and can go for 2-3 months, so that's a larger increase. Yes it's a longer period of time, but it just means you're lifting heavy for 3 months rather than just a month and having to drop that exercise cause you're worn out.

It's hard to explain it lol, makes perfect sense in my head [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-21-2007, 12:07 PM
Light-Heavyweight

Remember Dzoni, we pretty much think alike, so I understand what you're saying [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]. Pretty soon I probably will have to stick with 5 pound increases as opposed to 10 because, as you said above, I don't want to fry my body.

Old 05-21-2007, 02:03 PM
Jinxplayer is "Dips, the white, white meat"
Bantamweight

How is the low rep, high weight thing going for you?
Old 05-21-2007, 03:39 PM
Light-Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
How is the low rep, high weight thing going for you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Incredibly well. My strength increases have been through the roof compared to my old days of higher volume, and I'm starting to see the hypertrophy gains as well. Also, I have no signs of overtraining for the first time ever. I saw you just started a journal, I'll be sure to check it out.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:32 PM
Light-Heavyweight

So today was an off day, but since I was sick on my bday, my parents took me out tonight for dinner at Red Lobster [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. I had 3 cheddar biscuits, a caesar salad, lobster tail, shrimp alfredo, shrimp scampi, crab legs, and mashed potatos. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM so good. I feel pretty fat now though. I'm going to see a movie with a friend of mine tonight, and I think we are going out for ice cream afterwards. Nothing like celebrating your birthday with a couple cheats, especially since it's right after leg day. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]