Arthur Saxon Inspired Training - Page 2 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 01-22-2007, 12:52 AM
Vamoose should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Default 1st cycle -- ( revised )

During this preparatory week I have changed my thoughts.
*I am trying to drop some weight. I feel heavy during hikes. I would prefer to be 10 lbs lighter at about 190 for summer backpacking trips.
*My plan for doing this is to start eating a reasonable amount. No more forced feedings for the sake of mass / strength.
*Training before school is out of the question. I will do cardio in the mornings instead.

*Deadlift and bench press will alternate on an A-B split.
*Sumo and conventional deadlift will alternate each mesocycle
*Deadlift training days will alternate on a 1-2 split between deadlift and Zercher box squats. Both days will include one assistance lift.

*Max effort and speed bench press w/ bands will alternate each mesocycle.
*Bench press training days will alternate on a 1-2 split between standard bench press and a bench press variant. Both days will include one assistance lift.

*Bent press and two hands anyhow will alternate on an A-B split.
*Bent press will be performed with a maximum weight.
*Two hands anyhow will be performed 10-15 lbs below my max on the bent press with a maximum one handed dumb-bell press.

*Kettlebell work will alternate on an A-B split.
*Snatches with deadlift on A days.
*Presses with bench press on B days.
"Do not make the mistake of limiting your practices to any one set of lifts...Practice everything...single and double-handed lifts, snatching and swinging, jerking and pressing, lying down with weights, supporting weights, lifting weights while laid on the back, ring weights, human weights, and, if possible, double-handed lifts to the knee, and harness lifts, also holding the bell aloft and bringing a weight after with the disengaged hand." ~ Arthur Saxon
Old 01-22-2007, 06:11 PM
FloridaTitan should change his/her status!
Lightweight

Default Re: 1st cycle -- ( revised )

No more forced feedings!?!?!

WHY!!!!

That's the best part baout weight training.

Washington Monsters

490/350/510 @ 220
Old 01-22-2007, 11:34 PM
Middleweight

Default Re: 1st cycle -- ( revised )

[ QUOTE ]
No more forced feedings!?!?!

WHY!!!!

That's the best part baout weight training.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, that's how i used to think. Funny thing is i am almost sick of food now.

Basically i have been taking in a chocolate milk and whey protein shake in the morning along with a bunch of raisens or a can of either mandarin oranges or pineapple.

i snack on seeds and nuts during the day.

i usually pig out at dinner. My staple has been 0.5 -> 1.0 lb of ground beef and a can of black beans or baked beans. The pan greased over with a ton of olive oil.

Odd thing is i weighed myself at 208 lbs today.

Not sure if this dietary change is having a fat gaining, muscle building effect, or both. it sure is easier to handle though.

i hope it is the shift to a new training style. The kettlebell has my forearms, biceps, and medial delts developing a high degree of tension and my quads are blowing up after being neglected for a month.

Still, i would like to drop my weight back below 200. Problem is i do not want to sacrifice any strength in order to do so.
"Do not make the mistake of limiting your practices to any one set of lifts...Practice everything...single and double-handed lifts, snatching and swinging, jerking and pressing, lying down with weights, supporting weights, lifting weights while laid on the back, ring weights, human weights, and, if possible, double-handed lifts to the knee, and harness lifts, also holding the bell aloft and bringing a weight after with the disengaged hand." ~ Arthur Saxon
Old 01-22-2007, 11:44 PM
Middleweight

Default M -- January 22nd -- Bench Press

Bent press + KB deadlift: 115x1, 3sets, + 70lb deadlift
Bench press: 225x4, 3sets
Close grip: 185x8,6,6
KB MP / SP: x3, 3sets

i scrapped the two hands anyhow. it is very difficult with low lying dumb-bells. i performed bent press + deadlift with the 70lb kettlebell. How brutal an oblique exercise this was!

i had no pressing strength left for my kettlebell press, but i got through 3sets of 3 using more of a side press technique. Next time i will try kettlebell pressing first and see how this affects my bent press. May provide a good warm-up.

Bench press went very well. Form felt fantastic. Felt strong during the press-off as well as the lock-out. Performed bench press and close grip without wrist wraps, and my wrists felt fine. Attribute this to holding the kettlebell tight to my body duing cleans and presses.

First set of close grip is where i seemed to hit the wall. Did not have much my last two sets or at all during kettlebell pressing. Will be glad to see my stamina return by getting back to a consistent routine.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:52 PM
Middleweight

Default W -- January 24th -- Deadlift

Weighed myself yesterday at 204. More like it. i was right at 205 when i came back to school 2 weeks ago. Will weigh myself after class tomorrow, as i have been, and average the 3 numbers.

Sides were sore going in. Bent press went good for being in a highly fatigued state. Got 135 halfway up righty, but could not lock it out. Need to strengthen my left arm in the start position. i noticed i am leaning that arm into my body to rest the weight on my traps. Need to maitain a verticle forearm.

Deadlift went pretty well. Sumo deadlift is definately harder to lockout at the top, but it seems like a smoother, if slower, movement than conventional.

Snatch grip felt a little funky, but the 3rd set felt good, so i think it is just a matter of getting the groove down. 3rd set it felt like i brought the bar up an inch or so in front instead of scraping along my body on regular deadlifts.

Had nothing left for kettlebell snatches. My callouses were about ready to wrip off and i had no back left for it. Need to re-evaulate when to use these.

Bent Press: 115, 125, 135(R)*failed, 120, 130(R), 130(L)*failed
Sumo deadlift: 365x3, 3sets
Snatch grip deadlift: 225x5, 3sets

*side note. The weight room coordinator was in the weight room today. Suggested i take bent pressing outside the cage as to "not damage the machines" Then said be careful. it looks like you'll damage your spine real easy with that one. Then proceeds to spot a kid on box squat who is trying way more weight than he can handle just to reach the 700lb club. Typical weight training beliefs that really piss me off.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:10 PM
Middleweight

Default Re: W -- January 24th -- Bench Press

Weighed myself today. 203, so I am probably about 204 pounds.

New thought is to try KB snatches with bench press and KB presses with deadlifts. After deadlifting yesterday I had no back for snatches. This should keep the intensity of the KB lifts high, but may slow my recovery speed. I believe my workouts are spread out enough that I should be ok.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:28 PM
Middleweight

Default F -- January 26th -- Bench Press AST

Everything went really well.

Bridge supported skull crushers were a bit awkward for not doing them for awhile.

Bent pressing back and forth for reps was a taxing lift. Plan to work these into the bent press training cycle.

DB bench press: 80x8, 3sets
Bridge style skull crushers 105x6, 3sets
Bent press: (L,R)=1rep, 95x3, 105x2
KB dead snatches: 3sets
KB 2 handed BUP: 3sets

*changed my lifting shirt for a sweatshirt before going outside to the car. Might be partially due to a solid pump, but it looked like i have gained some mass since i have returned to lifting at school. Do not have a good mirror at home at school so i rarely get a chance here to check my progress.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:10 AM
Middleweight

Default M -- January 29th -- Deadlift AST

Double Kettle-bell Press: 60x5,4,3
Zercher Box Squat: 315x4,4,5
Romanian Deadlift: 135, 185, 225

Started out bent pressing. Not sure exactly what my deal is. Can't bent press at all lefty, but my right is alright. i think i overswung to a verticle stance and have lost some of the coordination of my torso. May have also fatigued my left arm somewhat with some off day kettlebell pressing. Did the same amount of work with both hands, but i held the left hand in the rack position longer to improve the flexibility in that hand.

Zerchers did not go optimally due to an equipment issue. Could not lift at the high school, so we were forced to take the football players to the university weight room. it was a nice facility, but they did not have any padded boxes. During my last set on the 4th rep the bottom of my left shoulder blade pinched down hard on the surrounding area. i have gotten these before lifting, even sleeping in the wrong position. Still cranked out a 5th rep. it cramped up real bad after Zerchers so it affected my romanian deadlifts.

Romanian deadlifts were very productive given the circumstances. i could not perform long reps with my back feeling as it did so i went heavy for fewer reps with 185 and 225.

Looking forward to bench pressing on wednesday. i don't think my shoulder blade will be an issue by then. Undecided whether to try 235 or 240 for sets of 2reps.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:22 AM
Middleweight

Default Re: M -- January 29th -- Deadlift AST

Quads are really sore from squatting. Pain in shoulder blade was not much today and should be a non-factor by tomorrow.

Weighed in at 202-203 today. Felt a little de-hydrated.

Looking forward to bench pressing tomorrow and doing some double handed kettlebell snatches.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:54 PM
Middleweight

Default W -- Jan 31 -- BP

Bench Press: 235x4, 245x2, 245x1, 235x3
Close Grip: 155,175,155 +chains
Double KB snatch: 50,50,60
Leg Raise / Arm Pass: 4kg medicine ball. 2 L/R sets

Bench press session went great today. Was not used to the bar i was using so my grip and form was a bit off. First set went real well. Fatigued myself with that set. Got 245 for 2 good reps on set 2, but could not lockout the 2nd rep on set 3. Took it back down to 235 for the last set. One of my players who spotted me on the last set commented, "That's the longest lift i've ever seen." Tapped into all my back and tricep strength to lock that 3rd rep out.

Desperately need to strengthen my lats for their role in bench pressing. Problem is bent pressing and deadlifting leave my entire back fatigued and sore. Might rotate bent press and rows of some sort.