Arthur Saxon Inspired Training - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 01-08-2007, 10:19 PM
Vamoose should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Default Arthur Saxon Inspired Training

I have been terrible at staying consistent with my training since I began weightlifting again a year ago. The problem in my mind has been too many conflicting goals, too complicated training. My goal for 2007 is to not change my weightlifting goals. Even if I fail to reach my target weights if I achieve this level of focus I will be pleased moreso than surpassing these weights and losing my focus.

Goals:
*Deadlift 500lbs
*Bent Press 200lbs
*Bench Press 315lbs

Through my extensive tinkering I have figured out a 3 week progression seems to work best for most lifts. Training 3 times a week seems to provide enough volume and maximal intensity. 3 compound lifts per day allows me to hit most muscle groups and also keep intensity high...3 is the magic number. I will be using an A-B split to add variation to my training. I will be lifting before my 9am class and with the HS football team I coach at 3pm.

AM: Bent Press and Kettlebells
A: Bent Press, KB clean and press
B: Side Press, heavy shouldering, KB snatch

PM:
Monday:
Bench Press
Close Grip
A: Zercher lift
B: Hack lift

Wednesday:
A: Smith Squats
B: Box Zerchers
A: One Arm Bar-bell Snatch
B: One Arm Bar-bell Clean
A: Military Press
B: Arnold Press

Friday:
Bench Press Assistance
Tricep Lift
A: Deadlift
B: SLDL

My training may change but only if progress stagnates. I will change in order to better achieve my goals. I will not change because progress stagnates, pick new goals, and end up in the same situation with those new goals.

I want to try Sumo Deadlifts. It has been probably a year since I have tried them. I remember feeling a grind in my knee. My knee is in a lot better shape today then it was then. Friday may become an A, B, C day or I may substitute Sumos for straight legs if my low back can take it. Currently I train conventionals extremely heavy, rarely below 85%. Great progress, but I need 2 weeks to recover. Sumos would be done with a light weight for more repitions as straight legs are done.

Monday the 15th starts the new year.
"Do not make the mistake of limiting your practices to any one set of lifts...Practice everything...single and double-handed lifts, snatching and swinging, jerking and pressing, lying down with weights, supporting weights, lifting weights while laid on the back, ring weights, human weights, and, if possible, double-handed lifts to the knee, and harness lifts, also holding the bell aloft and bringing a weight after with the disengaged hand." ~ Arthur Saxon
Old 01-08-2007, 11:33 PM
Middleweight

Default 1st cycle

AM:
I will alternate A,B,A,etc. every workout.

Bent and side presses will start at 3 escalating sets. An additional set will be added each workout reaching 6 sets in the 3rd week.

Kettlebell work will start at 4 constant sets around 50% of max repititions. I will eliminate one set per workout while increasing the number of repetitions per set. At the end of the cycle 1 set to failure will be performed.

PM:
I will begin with A, zercher lift, smith squats, and military press. they will be performed each week of the 3 week cycle. Deadlift and SLDL, One Arm Snatch and Clean, will be rotated each week for a 6 week cycle. I have choosen dumb-bell bench press and skull crushers for friday's work. I will perform 3 sets per lift. Each week the training weight will be increased slightly.

Every morning 7 sets will be performed.

Every evening 9 sets will be performed.

I hope this will lead to short, intense workouts which should benefit my testosterone levels.
"Do not make the mistake of limiting your practices to any one set of lifts...Practice everything...single and double-handed lifts, snatching and swinging, jerking and pressing, lying down with weights, supporting weights, lifting weights while laid on the back, ring weights, human weights, and, if possible, double-handed lifts to the knee, and harness lifts, also holding the bell aloft and bringing a weight after with the disengaged hand." ~ Arthur Saxon
Old 01-12-2007, 05:41 PM
Middleweight

Default Transition Week

Wednesday and Thursday I did some light work with the kegs, stones, and adjustable kettlebell to prepare for some of the different movements I will be using in my upcoming training.

Also, the 8 hour ride up to school took its toll on my lower back. The lower left side was really bad. This, plus some stretching on the yoga ball, got my low back into working order. I can now start on Monday with full intensity.

The AM workout will be skipped Monday as my kettlebell will be shipped later that day. Also, it is the first day of school.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:20 AM
mikestew should change his/her status!

Default Re: Transition Week

good luck man, i've beena lurker in your journal for awhile. You have made some pretty amazing progress over the past year, i'm sure you will pick up where you left off last year man.

Mike
Is any one of you sick? He should call the elders of the church to pray over him and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up. If he has sinned, he will be forgiven. Therefore, confess your sins to each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.
John 14:12-14
"I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in Me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. And I will do whatever you ask in My name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask me for anything in my Name, and I will do it.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:52 AM
Middleweight

Default M -- January 15th

i will try to get bench press and close grip in tomorrow.

Today's session was brutal. My bent press form was awful. Quads have gotten absolutely weak over a near month layoff and not that much work before hand. Zercher lift was brutal. Had no trouble locking the singles out, but getting up from the rack position on my thighs was impossible. Used to be doing 4reps easy months ago. Previously, i would let this get me down. i am not worried though as i have gotten stronger in my target lifts during that span. i feel i have gotten weaker pushing with my legs off the floor and am pulling heavily with my back. My quads respond very quickly though. i'm hoping re-strengthening my quads will have a heavy carryover to my deadlift.

i was impressed with my KB snatches though. The grip was soaked in condensation from being shipped in freezing temps. Chalked up and had no problem. i noticed with my left hand i tended the pull the weight up too quickly which led to an unstable lockout punch. i'm hoping single handed kettlebell work will help my coordination in my left hand.

Also on the good side, i had a much better time raising the bell to the shoulder. i re-read Arthur Saxon's book. The key is to get that elbow in place in the hip, waist, groin area, put the offset leg way back, and really squat down below the bar.

Bent Press: 115x1; 3sets
KB snatch: 3sets of about 8
Zercher lift: 275x1; 3sets

i always do terrible after a week off. Whenever i take a week off in the future, i will need a preparatory week to begin the new cycle. That is what this week will go as. i will try light sumo and snatch grip deadlifts week to see if my knee can take them. Also, i may consider doing box zerchers this cycle for quad development.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:10 PM
FloridaTitan should change his/her status!
Lightweight

Default Re: M -- January 15th

Good job on your first workout back. I feel terrible after a week off myself.

Everytime I see the word kettlebell I want it just a little bit more. I'm waiting for muscledriver.com to finish theirs is march.

Washington Monsters

490/350/510 @ 220
Old 01-17-2007, 01:09 AM
Middleweight

Default Re: M -- January 15th

Thanks guys for the support. i'm hoping to kick things back into gear next week and get a good couple cycles in before spring break.

Good to see that i'm not the only one who responds poorly to back off weeks. i feel stronger afterwards, but my weight room performance does not show it. it feels like i have forgotten how to lift in that short time off.

i know how you feel with the kettlebells. i ditched my adjustable kettlebell once i got past 40-50lbs almost a year ago. Their awkwardness is truly amazing for strength development. The backwards pull of the kettlebell makes pressing the thing a chore. Can really feel the rotator cuff working to maintain stability as the deltoids and triceps press. The 3sets of snatches i did yesterday has my biceps the most sore they've been in months. i did about 8, and had strength left in me for more, but my conditioning and tolerance for strength endurance is severely lacking.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:13 AM
Middleweight

Default T -- January 16th

Felt strong bench pressing, but i did feel some strain in the shoulders. Believe it was fatigue from the kettlebell lifting. Actually got 5reps but certain i received help. Got the "it's all you" on the 4th rep so i'm betting i received just an upward nudge. Very excited to begin lifting at the HS i coach at tomorrow.

Bench Press: 185x10, 205x6, 225x4
Dips: BWx6,6,7
Old 01-17-2007, 08:58 PM
Middleweight

Default W -- January 17th

Sumo Deadlift: worked up to a 405 single.
*Knee felt awkwards afterwards, but not during the lift which is a good sign. Kind of how squatting felt in the past.

Snatch Grip Deadlift: 225 for reps
*enjoyed this lift very much. cannot seeing going heavy here though. may use as a warm-up and/or a finishing exercise to heavy weight/low rep deadlifts.

Box Zercher Squats: 275 for 7-8reps, 315 for 4-5reps

Band Bench Press: 135 + bands.
*Plan to use this soon. i think reversal strength is a big weakness of mine on this lift. will either substitute for dumb-bell presses next cycle or move those to wednesday and perform these friday.

During the entire workout i performed a bunch of kettlebell presses. Been doing singles at home since i got the thing. Struggled to do singles on out of the box. Am now doing sets of 3 fairly easily. Even did a few singles waiter pressing with each hand. Left hand is still feeling awkward, but catching up fast. i noticed my i am not pushing outward with my tricep nearly as strong on that hand. Do not believe it is a muscular issue as my left tricep has tended to dominate the right in the past. More of a coordination thing.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:37 PM
Middleweight

Default F -- January 19th

2 new Bent Press PR's

Bent Press: 3sets 125max lefty 4sets 130max righty
Hack Lift: 225 was fairly light. 275 was not difficult but i could not keep the bar from snagging on my hamstrings.
KB: Snatch about 12reps
KB: Military Press

*For Bent Presss i used one of the unused, uneven bars. it was very difficult at the beginning, but i believe it helped me once i got the balance of it as more weight was positioned over my torso.
*Realized today i was beginning with too much of a bent lean which was robbing me of some initial explosive power.
*Did a good job grinding out hard sets today.