Can you Change Muscle Fiber Types? - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Scientist Department > HYPERplasia Research

Notices

Old 12-07-2006, 08:05 AM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

Default Can you Change Muscle Fiber Types?

Research has found that elite athletes have a higher proportion of muscle fiber types which are conducive to success in their sports. For instance, studies have indicated that long distance runners have up to 95% slow twitch fibers. While sprinters may have 80% fast twitch fibers.

The debate is clear: are these athletes selected for success in these sports, due to being blessed with a greater proportion of certain fiber types? Or, are these changes in fiber types a result of practice? Or perhaps, is it a combination of both?

Let me know your thoughts!
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:10 PM
dashforce should change his/her status!
Lightweight

Default Re: Can you Change Muscle Fiber Types?

I recently read this little article, it was pretty interesting (and relevant). Unfortunately, the promised "sequel" article (mentioned at the end) is nowhere to be found [img]/forum/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

http://www.mindandmuscle.net/mindand...mp;artID=99945
Old 12-07-2006, 05:22 PM
tarheelsykes should change his/her status!
Middleweight

remember from grad school the discussion of where they changed neural stimulation of muscle fibers, and saw the muscle fibers switch from type I to type II and vice versa, so appears neural stimulation is main contributing factor to muscle fiber type.
However, this also appears to suggest that structurally a muscle fiber is the same, than theoretically I dont see why you couldn't create the right stimulus to cause a muscle fiber type change. But again, that is a theoretical thought, not sure if it could cross over into the real world and an actual training regime.

"Everyone bring joy when they walk in the front door of a gym, some on the way in, some on the way out"
Old 12-07-2006, 09:59 PM

DH,

Yes, I read that. Very well written and researched article.

One problem I have, is that I don’t believe you can design an optimal program based on one variable. Seems like he is going to suggest taking extended periods of time off; and that is contradictory to numerous studies on tapering and practice distribution. So you have to find a happy medium between numerous practice variables when designing a training program.

Brandon,

Yes, that research is fascinating. In animals, when they cross innervate nerves (i.e. innervate slow twitch fibers with a fast twitch motor neuron) it takes on the properties of a fast twitch nerve. And constant stimulation for muscular contraction of fast twitch muscles, changes the properties of those fibers to slow twitch.

Karp (2001) in a review article in NSCA at this to say:

“There is some interesting evidence from studies performed on rabbits that an ST fiber can be made to behave like an FT fiber if the nerve that supplies the ST fiber is surgically interchanged (cross-reinnervated) with one that supplies an FT fiber (4, 5), suggesting that the behavior of muscles is greatly influenced by the activity of their nerves. However, no similar studies have been performed on humans, and there is no evidence that training has a similar effect on muscle fibers. Until surgically cross-reinnervating nerves in humans is considered ethical practice, we are left with old-fashioned training.”p.24.

I disagree with his last statement.

But anyway, one thing I read, is that in the elderly, who atrophy muscle fibers, the motor neurons that no longer have muscle fibers to innervate, may innervate other fibers, and thereby, change fiber types!
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:06 PM
tarheelsykes should change his/her status!
Middleweight

[ QUOTE ]
But anyway, one thing I read, is that in the elderly, who atrophy muscle fibers, the motor neurons that no longer have muscle fibers to innervate, may innervate other fibers, and thereby, change fiber types!

[/ QUOTE ]

so perhaps if we want to change our fiber types we should be a couch potato for 2 years and then begin training again

"Everyone bring joy when they walk in the front door of a gym, some on the way in, some on the way out"
Old 12-07-2006, 10:45 PM

haha!

Funny thing is, sounds like the article above is recommending just that. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Because a study showed that if you train for 3 months, you increase type 2A fibers, and decrease type IIB. And then you get an "overshoot" in type IIB fibers about 50% above baseline if you take 3 months off. But again, I think a happy medium approach here is better. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Another big discussion is this thing where some people (like above) are recommending trying to train for type IIB fibers, instead of type IIA, because they are faster contracting. This is another topic, but I think you could work around this and get greater results with other methods.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

Old 12-24-2006, 04:36 AM

President and I just finished writing up a manuscript on this topic. We just have to edit, and will hopefully have it submited to the NSCA by New year!

I am psyched about this. I am really pleased with how the paper turned out.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

Old 12-24-2006, 08:37 PM
dashforce should change his/her status!
Lightweight

Nice -- I'm excited too. Will we get a chance to see it (*dashforce crosses fingers in high hopes*)?
Old 12-24-2006, 08:42 PM

When it gets published. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

But I would love to share some of it here. But we have to be careful with the review process. These guys are real anal about anything that looks like a duplicate publication. :/
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies