DirtbagDan's cutting journal! - Page 3 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 02-04-2007, 07:11 AM
dalvare1 is Huge
Middleweight

Default Re: February 3, 2007

slowly but surely is the way to go, especially with cutting. makes it easier to keep the gains than dropping 20 pounds in a couple months and having half of it be muscle.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:27 PM
DirtbagDan should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Default February 5, 2007

February 5, 2007

Legs

Leg Extensions superset with Legpress
Leg Extensions: 220 lbs. 1 set of 14 repetitions
Legpress: 410 lbs. 1 set of 10 repetitions (5 more rest pause)

Single Hamstring Curls:
70 lbs. 1 set of 7 repetitions

Calves

Standing Calve Raise Machine:
Full Stack (600 lbs.), 1 set of 25 repetitions (static hold at the end till I couldn't hold it anymore)

Switched up lying leg curls to the standing single leg curl machine as a change. I think it's good for a change and since i'm doing each leg unilaterally, it should improve neuromuscular coordination. Let's see how this goes!

"Some people call me a fat pig in the off season, but when I step on stage those same people are kissing my @ss" - Lee Priest

"That last rep where you're trying as hard as you can and you barely make it! That is what turns on the growth mechanism in your body. That last almost impossible rep where you're bearing your teeth, you're shaking all over, you need assistance! That rep is very special, that rep is very different. There's something special going on inside your body when that happens." - Mike Mentzer
Old 02-08-2007, 08:35 PM
Light-Heavyweight

Default February 8, 2007

February 8, 2007

Chest

Peck Deck superset with Dips
Peck Deck: 210 lbs. 1 set of 7 repetitions (static hold and slow negative on last rep)

Dips: Bodyweight, 1 set of 4 repetitions

Shoulders

Hammerstrength Shoulder Press machine
55 lbs. 1 set of 7 repetitions (3 more rest pause)

Reverse Pec Deck
135 lbs. 1 set of 9 repetitions (4 more rest pause)

Back

Close Grip Underhand Pulldowns
130 lbs. 1 set of 8 repetitions (4 more rest pause)

T-Bar Rows
100 lbs. 1 set of 8 repetitions (3 more rest pause)

Hammerstrength Low Row Machine
90 lbs. 1 set of 6 repetitions

Weighted Hyperextensions
50 lbs. 1 set of 10 repetitions

I think it's time to decrease my training frequency, as strength gains are slowing down and some exercises it's stopping altogether. COULD be a result of me being on a cut. But muscle damage, energy expenditure and intensity all increase higher and higher as you get bigger and stronger, so your muscles require more rest as you become stronger. That's what I think is happening. I might take a week off and see how that goes.

"Some people call me a fat pig in the off season, but when I step on stage those same people are kissing my @ss" - Lee Priest

"That last rep where you're trying as hard as you can and you barely make it! That is what turns on the growth mechanism in your body. That last almost impossible rep where you're bearing your teeth, you're shaking all over, you need assistance! That rep is very special, that rep is very different. There's something special going on inside your body when that happens." - Mike Mentzer
Old 02-10-2007, 07:57 PM
Light-Heavyweight

Default February 10, 2007

February 10, 2007

Legs

Leg Extensions: 220 lbs. 1 set of 15 repetitions
Legpress: 410 lbs. 1 set of 12 repetitions (5 more rest pause)

Single Hamstring Curls:
70 lbs. 1 set of 8 repetitions

Calves

Full Stack (600 lbs.), 1 set of 25 repetitions (static hold at the end till I couldn't hold it anymore)

Last workout of the week. Time for a week off training and then when I hit the gym again, it's training once every two days!

Old 02-12-2007, 02:17 PM
lifting5 should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Default Re: February 10, 2007

Enjoy that week off Dan!

You can train hard or you can train long, but you can't do both. And it just so happens that it takes hard training to build big muscles" - Mike Mentzer
Old 02-17-2007, 08:17 PM
Light-Heavyweight

Default February 17, 2007

February 17, 2007

Chest

Peck Deck superset with Dips
Peck Deck: 210 lbs. 1 set of 8 repetitions (static hold and slow negative on last rep)

Dips: Bodyweight, 1 set of 4 repetitions

Shoulders

Hammerstrength Shoulder Press machine
55 lbs. 1 set of 9.5 repetitions (3 more rest pause)

Reverse Pec Deck
145 lbs. 1 set of 7 repetitions (4 more rest pause)

Back

Close Grip Underhand Pulldowns
130 lbs. 1 set of 9 repetitions (4 more rest pause)

T-Bar Rows
100 lbs. 1 set of 8 repetitions (3 more rest pause)

Hammerstrength Low Row Machine
90 lbs. 1 set of 6 repetitions

Weighted Hyperextensions
50 lbs. 1 set of 10 repetitions

After a week off, I hit the gym again with a new training frequency. Today was not bad but I felt unmotivated and didn't have much energy. I had some spectacular gains after taking a week off. I went up 2 and a half reps on an exercise that I haven't been able to go up in reps for months!! The pec deck went up 1 rep, but then again I didn't feel totally energized. At least I went up in strength there. As for the later back exercises, i've come to the conclusion i'm not going up in reps simply because my back is already fried from the pulldowns.

As for my low energy and low motivation, I strongly suspect it's due to my cycling off of Ephedrine. I tapered off it about 3 days ago, and today was my first day not taking it (or caffeine) at all. So this was probably why. Ephedrine does wonders for your morale, motivation, and energy. It should be a few days before i'm back to normal. But still, if i'm still going up in strength even a day off of Ephedrine with my energy levels almost zero, that's impressive.

Old 02-20-2007, 07:57 PM
Light-Heavyweight

Default February 20, 2007

February 20, 2007

Legs

Leg Extensions: 220 lbs. 1 set of 12 repetitions
Legpress: 410 lbs. 1 set of 10 repetitions (5 more rest pause)

Lying Hamstring Curls:
145 lbs. 1 set of 7 repetitions

Calves

I actually lost strength in my quads from that week off!! Just as I thought. My legs heal and grow at least 50% faster than my upper body, and so the quicker a muscle can repair and grow, the quicker it can atrophy. Hmm very interesting. We'll see what comes of this. At least my strength wasn't down significantly. I was down 2-4 reps. I would be more concerned if I was down 10 or 20 lbs. instead of a few reps. I have amazing leg genetics!

Old 02-21-2007, 02:50 AM
Vamoose should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Default Re: February 20, 2007

Ever use weighted dips superset with another lift?
"Do not make the mistake of limiting your practices to any one set of lifts...Practice everything...single and double-handed lifts, snatching and swinging, jerking and pressing, lying down with weights, supporting weights, lifting weights while laid on the back, ring weights, human weights, and, if possible, double-handed lifts to the knee, and harness lifts, also holding the bell aloft and bringing a weight after with the disengaged hand." ~ Arthur Saxon
Old 02-21-2007, 04:36 AM
tom10 should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

How's the weight and bf?
Old 02-21-2007, 12:46 PM
Light-Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
Ever use weighted dips superset with another lift?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the thing is I don't have a weight belt for my dips, so that's why I choose to pre-exhaust my pecs with the pec deck before doing dips. If I can get a weight belt, i'd certainly do dips on their own. My gym doesn't have any though.

[ QUOTE ]
How's the weight and bf?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's great, actually. My scale busted about 4 weeks ago though, so the only thing I have to measure my progress is pictures, the mirror, tape measure, and calipers. But with that being said, I tape measured my waist at the belly button and i'm down to 38.5", as opposed to 40" when I started. So i'd say it's going great. As for my weight, I have no clue because my scale is busted. The last I checked it like 4 weeks ago, I was 205, and my end of bulk weight was 210. I'm probably down another 5 lbs. I would guess.