Time to get serious - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Old 10-12-2006, 03:14 AM
Tsquare should change his/her status!
Rookie

Default Time to get serious

For years I have watched this forum and have played with fitness and weight training. Now it is time to get serious about it and I've discovered that I don't really know what I'm doing and could use some help. Most of you are younger, and are in better physical shape than me, but I can and am trying my best to become much better physically.

So far the weight loss is 18 pounds in about 6 weeks, and my muscles are beginning to tone up a bit. However, there needs to be about 50 more pounds lost and muscle definition increased. My guess is to increase cardio to decrease the fat but the weight training needs a lot of help.

Weight training consist of 8 machines for a full body workout 3x a week. Am doing 12 reps x3 sets.
I tried to add the assisted chin-up/dip machine, but yep. you guessed it....the girl gene took over and could only do 1 rep and the assist was on 16! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Freeweights? Machines? Both?

Any help you can give will be most appreciated,

Thanks
Old 10-12-2006, 03:53 AM
flyskygirl should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Default Re: Time to get serious

[ QUOTE ]
For years I have watched this forum and have played with fitness and weight training. Now it is time to get serious about it and I've discovered that I don't really know what I'm doing and could use some help. Most of you are younger, and are in better physical shape than me, but I can and am trying my best to become much better physically.

So far the weight loss is 18 pounds in about 6 weeks, and my muscles are beginning to tone up a bit. However, there needs to be about 50 more pounds lost and muscle definition increased. My guess is to increase cardio to decrease the fat but the weight training needs a lot of help.

Weight training consist of 8 machines for a full body
workout 3x a week. Am doing 12 reps x3 sets.
I tried to add the assisted chin-up/dip machine, but yep. you guessed it....the girl gene took over and could only do 1 rep and the assist was on 16! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Freeweights? Machines? Both?

Any help you can give will be most appreciated,

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]
<font color="red"> Hi welcome to ABC! Glad to hear your getting serious!! You will find alot of great people on here for advice and support.

Congrats on the 18lbs thats great! Its best to do what your doing and take it slowly.

How much cardio are you currently doing?

Sounds good with what your doing on the machines. I would try and incooperate some free weigths in there too. You get a better range of motion which puts greater demand on your muscles.If you circut train like your doing but yet do it with free weights I feel you'll get a better response...quicker gains.once you start using them and getting aclimated and comfortable then you can start doing splits which is doing different body parts different days...vs total body 3 times a week.

I personally dontlike machines. I feel they limit me to what I can do..and honestly some of them dont fit me right!.

and dont be discouraged on the dip machine [img]/forum/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]..it takes alot to get good on that thing!!! keep it up and someday youll go straight to the rack and do unassisted chinups! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]..it takes time to build up that strength..I think woman have the disadvatage with that anyway cause most women are weaker on top.

Keep up the positive attitude..and I found its great to start a journal on here ..then you can write your daily routines ,post your diet and then everyone can help you with critiquing and advice.

~sky [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] </font>

37 years old
5'9"
145lbs
16% BF
Goal: 155 lbs of pure muscle! ..in the next 3 years
Possibly enter into a amature fiqure competiton by age 40!

My Profile
http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/flyskygirl/

GO BUCKS! O - H -I -O

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...a/65a2b10b.gif
Old 10-13-2006, 01:44 AM
Tsquare should change his/her status!
Rookie

Sky, I've been doing cardio 2-3 times a week for at least an hour each time. On Tuesday nights it's road cycling with a few friends and then another time or two during the week it will be mountainbiking which may last for a couple of hours but has several stops in it because I'm sucking wind and it's killing my quads. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Starting this past Monday, I started doing cardio everyday for a minimum of 1 hour on the trainer (cycle).

A journal for everyone to see what a dork I am? Now that's scary [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2006, 02:41 AM
flyskygirl should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Hi
I think everyday for an hour is a bit much. If you can do 5-6 times a week at 45 minutes thats plenty enough. "They say" that 30-45 minutes is optimum for fatloss. Im not a personal trainer so dont quote me on that..but from reading peoples words on posts of cardio..and reading in books thats what I have read...maybe someone else can pipe in about that..

seriously a journal is a great way to help you keep accountable if anything...I have enjoyed writing in mine on here. It helps motivate me.
and I really need it sometimes!!!
if anything keep one for yourself to track your weight training progress..
goodluck with your goals! keep up that weight loss!!!keep us posted!

~sky

37 years old
5'9"
145lbs
16% BF
Goal: 155 lbs of pure muscle! ..in the next 3 years
Possibly enter into a amature fiqure competiton by age 40!

My Profile
http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/flyskygirl/

GO BUCKS! O - H -I -O

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...a/65a2b10b.gif