Discussion: Why are steroids considered cheating 100% but supps like creatine not at all? - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Scientist Department > HYPERplasia Research

Notices

Old 08-04-2006, 06:27 AM
tetz8again is big
Lightweight

Default Discussion: Why are steroids considered cheating 100% but supps like creatine not at all?

I mean, I'm totally against steroids in MOST situations(anything competitive like bodybuilding, cycling, highschool/college sports, the Olympics, etc.)

And I'm completely for all the great supplements that most of us here take like Whey, creatine, etc.

Many people on here feel that steroids are cheating, or that people who take them are weak minded because they are unnatural.

However, all of us here use supplements to help us get to our goals faster.

There is a difference between steroids and supplements, like whey, for instance. Steroids are extremely bad for you, especially if you haven't done the research and aren't having blood tests done. Steroids are said to be unnatural. While whey IS natural supposedly, and safe.

But they have a lot of similarities. They are both used by people who are in sports or competitive things that want to become better or bigger. They both do make you better. They both are used to give you an edge.

What I really don't get is, how one thing can be considered unnatural and another thing that is ultimately used for the same purpose(to achieve goals faster/get better faster)be considered natural. Who is to say that steroids are unnatural. I mean, when you break them down, they are just atoms like you and me and whey and creatine and everything else in this world. How can someone say that anything on Earth is unnatural?

It's like kids playing game and one kid thinks he has the power to make up new rules as the game goes along about what is fair and what isn't fair. So why are our supplements fair and steroids not fair?
Old 08-04-2006, 07:33 AM
klosey should change his/her status!
Super Moderator

Default Re: Discussion: Why are steroids considered cheating 100% but supps like creatine not at all?

as i am aware some steroids are natural they are made up of trans ring plant extracts. but if you looked at it like that technically supplements are cheating cause with them you dont need to comsume as much food for vital acids, protein etc... but really all supplements do is help speed up progress about 10% but, and here is the but, supplements are only effective when everything else is in check. diet, recover and exercise..... yet i know people on steroids who eat cheese burgers and cake yet are still cut because steroids change the bodies mapping for how it deals with carbs etc
Old 08-04-2006, 02:42 PM
Awesome should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Default Re: Discussion: Why are steroids considered cheating 100% but supps like creatine not at all?

They're not available to those of us who want to do it legally.

<font color="green">On this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it - Matthew 16:18</font>

My Cutting Journal!

[image]http://a579.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/52/m_f88d169fd15e9b0da2b1a0d3a880241a.jpg[/image
Old 08-04-2006, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
They're not available to those of us who want to do it legally.

[/ QUOTE ]

this one i dont understand here is a fact for everyone more people would die in a year from alcohol abuse and smokin than people have ever died from using steroids hmmmm and which are legal again lol
Old 08-04-2006, 03:48 PM
JohnCrab should change his/her status!
Rookie

Steroids unnaturally increase the amount of testosterone in your body, whereas sound diet and the use of creatine, whey, vitamins, and other supplements merely put your body into optimal performance. Steroids = unnatural increase. Supplements = optimally performing body. Supplements are more effective than just food, but still natural. That's my opinion anyway.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
Steroids unnaturally increase the amount of testosterone in your body, whereas sound diet and the use of creatine, whey, vitamins, and other supplements merely put your body into optimal performance. Steroids = unnatural increase. Supplements = optimally performing body. Supplements are more effective than just food, but still natural. That's my opinion anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

think the answer is each to there own. if someone uses them and admits it the big up to them.... but i cant stand people who use it in secret and try say they gained through hard work....

many supplements are just concentrated levels of what you would get in food anyway.... but that could be argueed steroids are concentrated levels of whats in the body??? hmm no correct answer
Old 08-04-2006, 04:27 PM
Buffysboy should change his/her status!
Lightweight

JohnCrab said it. Taking steroids is very very harmful as well, results kidney failure, liver damage, impotence (shrunken testicles to the size of peanuts once you are off steroids, unable of getting eraction for the rest of your life), vascular plague and ultimately results in heart attacks and death and much more.

Bodybuilding is like many other sports, supposed to improve the quality of life. Steroids violate this ideology and is therefore considered illegal, and taking them would be cheating in my eyes.

But then again I don't really care.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:49 PM
Hells Fire should change his/her status!
Middleweight

I think calling steroids or supplements "natural" is a stretch. Sifting the whey out of processed mozarella cheese and doctoring it up in a lab to make whey protein powder doesn't seem especially natural. Let's have a look at the ingredients in my ON protein: whey protein isolate, whey protein concentrate, whey peptides, cocoa (processed with alkali), natural and artificial flavor, lecithin, salt, sucralose, acesulfame potassium. It doesn't sound "natural" to me.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:57 PM
Zee-German is bulking, goal of 250lbs
Middleweight

I personally cannot stand Whey, Creatine, Glutamine at all. I hate all those supplements, but i take them for easy consumption of proteins and such. I dont find it cheating, but instead of whey and supplements, id rather still to all natural stuff, like steaks, chicken, eggs, real food that taste good.

I hate whey and supplements because they taste so...industrialized.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:12 PM
tetz8again is big
Lightweight

First of all, I'd like to say that I respect all your opinions.

Second of all, When I made this topic I wasn't really sure exactly where it was going to go. I wish I had made the topic title different, because I think we can ALL agree that steroids ARE cheating simply because they are against the rules. We all know that. I would like to sway away from that and what I really want to focus on is why if things are "natural" it sounds like they are great for you and you should be doing it that way. But if something is unnatural, it is all of a sudden the worst thing in the world?

I think Whey is just as natural as Testosterone, and just as natural as both of those is Merry Juana. (had to spell it wrong because it's a banned word)

Another question is where do we draw the line at for what is considered natural and what isn't? Some of you might say the obvious: if it's made by nature it's natural.

But those same people would probably consider a cheeseburger to be natural. They are made by all natural ingredients, right? But a cheeseburger is made by a human. They don't just fall out of the sky. So why aren't you pissed off at the bodybuilders who eat cheeseburgers to gain muscle? The cheeseburger was made by people using ingredients just like steroids are and just like whey is.

[ QUOTE ]
I think calling steroids or supplements "natural" is a stretch. Sifting the whey out of processed mozarella cheese and doctoring it up in a lab to make whey protein powder doesn't seem especially natural. Let's have a look at the ingredients in my ON protein: whey protein isolate, whey protein concentrate, whey peptides, cocoa (processed with alkali), natural and artificial flavor, lecithin, salt, sucralose, acesulfame potassium. It doesn't sound "natural" to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly! We are drawing our lines at the same place, inbetween what is actually made by nature and what isn't made in nature.

But there are people who draw their lines right in the middle of the unnaturals. What I mean is, they say "hey, a cheeseburger is fair, but steroids aren't because I can't buy steroids at Mcdonalds."