How to Optimize Fat Efficiency in the Diet Part II - Essential Fats - Page 3 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Scientist Department > HYPERplasia Research

Notices

Old 09-03-2006, 05:36 AM
didymus should change his/her status!
Bantamweight

Default Re: How to Optimize Fat Efficiency in the Diet Part II - Essential Fats

[ QUOTE ]
Substituting dietary saturated for monounsaturated fat impairs insulin sensitivity in healthy men and women: the KANWU study.

[/ QUOTE ]
Heres another study I found relevant. It is one of the few well designed (large and long term) human trials on insulin sensitivity/n-3FAs. There are a number showing non-results in human studies as regards insulin sensitivity.

This one indicates that n-3 supplementation (2.4g/d EPA/DHA) increased sensitivity, but ONLY in the subjects with <37% of calories from fats. This improved sensitivity 20% when ~10% of the dietary fat was switched from saturated to mono-unsaturated (n-3)!
Old 09-03-2006, 05:57 AM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

Great research!

Could you post the reference as well; or preferably a link? Thanks!

Also, do you mean polyunsaturated fats (omega 3's aren't monos). [img]/forum/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 09-03-2006, 02:23 PM
Bantamweight

Wow I cant believe I didnt catch that. It actually is referring to MUFA and not fish oil, I misread the portion on EPA/DHA, which they also randomly assigned, it was late :P Still an interesting study. Eat up on those peanuts and olive oil [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Anyway the title is above, heres a link with some more info:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query...mp;dopt=medline

Author is vessby et al.
Diabetologia. 2001 Mar;44(3):312-9.

I found it on medline if you have access to that, or I could email you the pdf.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:07 AM
rickck48 is tryin harder!
Middleweight

great report, but for us laymen, it just went over my head,,could you trim it down somewhat so we coudl understand it also. That's us underacheivers right now,,,,,Great job by the way. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Goal: NOT there Yet, But haven't quit either!

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Old 10-11-2006, 01:57 AM
sucramdw should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

wooah!!!

I finally get to this thread and look what I find. Supplement omega 3 and 6 separetely in their readily available form!!

I have been spending too much time studying chemistry, physics , microbiology and memorizing every amino acid and their chemical structure!!! I miss researching my interests like this topic!

I will do my research on this as well soon. Let me know when you find optimal and safe dosages for each.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:49 AM
sucramdw should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

Hey Gabe!

What are you currently using for your Omega 3 and 6 sources and how much are you using of each?

Here is a supplement that contains the oils in all forms. - http://www.bulknutrition.com/?products_id=5549
It contains more GLA then the borage oil.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:51 PM
dashforce should change his/her status!
Lightweight

Something that's been rolling around my mind for a little while --

Do we know how to maximize the benefits of the fats that we are currently eating? For example, we know that our dietary fat can suffer any one (or several) of a handful of fates:

1 - If insulin is high at the moment, there is a better chance that the dietary fat will be stored as body fat (can't say that I've seen much evidence of this, but it makes sense and I've read it everywhere).

2 - For those of us on the AD, we're hopefully oxidizing a good percent of the dietary fat we're consuming.

3 - It can be stored, then later oxidized when we get around to burning body fat.

4 - Soluble fiber can absorb dietary fat and pass it through without absorption (not sure how significant this effect is).

*note* I didn't reference any of these because they're not critical to the point I'm getting at, which is...

Where are the benefits of each type of fat expressed? We're looking at
Sat fat - test booster
MUFA - possible test booster/cardio benefits
PUFA (omega 3s specifically) more benefits than I care to list here

Are there ways to ensure that we're getting full benefits from these fats? At what point of digestion/metabolism do they express these traits? What if you had (for example) a quickly-oxidized fuel source like carbs or MCTs with your fish oil, and you ended up storing the Omega 3s as body fat. Would you benefit from the omega threes at the time of ingestion or 6 months down the road when you start cutting and finally oxidize them? See what I'm saying?

Any comments?
Old 11-10-2006, 11:01 PM
Bantamweight

Are you asking how diet related storage/oxidation of fatty acids can affect their health benefits?

Its an interesting question certainly [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

And sucram that oil doesnt look very good to me when you consider the relative amounts of various omegas. Its mostly flaxseed oil which isnt ideal as discussed earlier in this thread..
Old 11-11-2006, 04:47 AM
dashforce should change his/her status!
Lightweight

That's exactly what I'm asking.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:52 AM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

[ QUOTE ]

I have been spending too much time studying chemistry, physics , microbiology and memorizing every amino acid and their chemical structure!!! I miss researching my interests like this topic!

[/ QUOTE ]

haha! That is awesome. I am in the same boat as you. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I often miss out on some great stuff on account of my studies...but it's all good. We're learning either way.

I listed the omega 3 supplement I am using up above (from netrition).

For omega 6's, I have been using a "super omega 6 borage oil " from vitamin Shop. It has something like 300 mg of GLA per gram.

Thanks for the link!
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.