Gym Social Norms - Page 6 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Scientist Department > HYPERplasia Research

Notices

Old 11-28-2006, 12:25 AM
Birthright1 is The Master Blaster PUMP Master
Light-Heavyweight

Default Re: Gym Social Norms

Alright i think i have the winner. Us guys at the gym call him the naked shaver. He gets done with his workout goes into the locker room stripes down heads to the sink with his shaving gear puts his junk on the counter and shaves. Everyday, i didn't really notice him at first because i am always looking up in the locker room due to the people who can't seem to wrap a towel around themselfs when they leave the shower but this guy is a freak.
I was getting dressed one day and a guy passes me butt (!@#$%^&*) heading to the sink the guy changing next to me says, there goes the naked shaver and starts laughing. I said what? Then he told me he had been coming to this gym for 3 years and for all 3 of those years this dude has been shaving naked so he calls him the naked shaver, like that naked cowboy guy who plays the guitar on the streets. I started laughing so hard i almost cried.
So this is the story of the naked shaver, you never want to see him, and you **** sure don't want to use his sink.
Lo, they do call to me
They bid me take my place among them in the Halls of Valhalla
Where the brave may live
Forever.

"Either you lift it or you don't."
Jesse Dawson Marunde
Old 11-28-2006, 03:04 AM
dashforce should change his/her status!
Lightweight

Lol that's hilarious.

We've got a couple people at our gym that we have names for --

"The Gazelle" -- named for her galloping trot on the treadmill

"The Turtle" -- named for his famous move (involves lying on a bench with two 10lb dumbells and making a crawling motion like a turtle or beetle on its back)

"Napoleon Dynamite" -- I swear, could win a look-alike contest, and always does some exercise that involves 10 lb dumbells, lunging, and flexing in the mirror

"Arnold Yabernator" -- This extrodinarily large Navajo fellow whose war-cries terrify the old ladies on the arm-powered bicycle machines

There are more, but those are my favorites.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:10 PM
LayWarrior should change his/her status!
Rookie

Lol, "Arnold Yabernator", I have a few of those at my gym, Although I think the naked shaver is just wierd, Hopefully mine hasn't got one of those.
Another one thats probably been mentioned is the 'all the gear, no idea' guy who has all the latest nike and addidas sports equipment but only seems to know how to work abs.
Also theres the 'has beens' who seem to have forgotten alot of training rules since their glory days they always rattle on about.

- Matt
Old 01-08-2007, 01:14 PM
richnewton is tired.
Light-Heavyweight

There's a few types at our gym I don't like..

1. The naked shaver (already mentioned). These guys usually stand bare naked at the sink and shave either their face or their entire body. Doesn't fail that everytime I go to the restroom one is in there.

2. The guy who HAS to shower at the one shower head visible from the entire bathroom. The entire shower area EXCEPT this one part is blocked by a wall - WHY use that one if the whole place is empty? Why! I swear some of the older guys just want to be naked in front of people. I really don't understand it and just walk with downcast eyes whenever entering the restroom because it doesn't fail there are a couple of bare naked old guys just standing around waiting for somebody to catch a peek.

3. If I miss my usual work out time 1-4pm (gym is empty) then I have to come in later at 6pm or later and its usually crowded which doesn't bother me except for the group of 3-8 guys who just stand around the entire time. They lift heavy and do some absurd amount of reps but then they rest for 10+ minutes while the other 8 guys do their set (screaming the entire time of course). I have no doubt the entire group of them uses steroids and/or pro-hormones as I know 2 of them personally and they use. Man those guys bug me..

4. The cell phone people. I'm sorry but you're at the gym - put the cell phone away. My now ex-girlfriend does this all the time and it bugs me really bad. She would be at the gym for an hour and be on the phone for 30 minutes of it atleast.. what can be the important that you can't put the phone away for an hour or so and focus?
Old 01-14-2007, 02:23 AM
Growth In Motion is always ready
Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
what can be the important that you can't put the phone away for an hour or so and focus?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol true. If there are more important things dont bother going to the gym
Old 01-17-2007, 06:42 AM
Whey Man is procrastinating.
Light-Heavyweight

Lately at the gym, if I'm doing a superset on another machine...the original machine I was on gets stolen from me literally 90% of the time. I mean I know I didn't claim it, but shoot...why does it have to happen basically everytime? And then of course they use it for the next 10 minutes and guard it inbetween sets that takes like 3-5 minutes...

Sorry...just had to vent.

Old 01-17-2007, 03:29 PM
Njari should change his/her status!
Lightweight

[ QUOTE ]
Lately at the gym, if I'm doing a superset on another machine...the original machine I was on gets stolen from me literally 90% of the time. I mean I know I didn't claim it, but shoot...why does it have to happen basically everytime? And then of course they use it for the next 10 minutes and guard it inbetween sets that takes like 3-5 minutes...

Sorry...just had to vent.

[/ QUOTE ]
I know exactly what you mean! Althought , I can see their point of veiw, too. I imagine them posting somehere:

"Yeah, and every time I try to use an unoccupied machine, some guy swoops out of nowhere like a ninja on speed, and claims that he was using it. Whatever."

Now that I've aknowledged the other point of view, I'm definitely on your side. We need to collectively find an unmistakable (but socially acceptable) way to, umm, mark our territority.

Maybe we should print up a bunch of hardcore-looking ABCBodybuilding towels that we could leave on the equipment.
(Hey mods--free advertising!)
Old 01-17-2007, 03:41 PM
DieselMofo20x should change his/her status!

theres this one guy who has pretty decent size and definition..decent..anyway this guy thinks he is the reincarnated version of ronnie coleman..before every set he screams, "YEAH BUDDY LIGHT WEIGHT!" im thinking in my head, this guy is a **** joke..hes about 225 and he cant even bench 315..he slaps on 3 plates, starts screaming and then goes down like a quarter of the way..its pretty bad..

what i REALLY cant stand is the ppl who bother me between sets..i mean ok you want to ask for a little advice thats cool, but i dont need to hear your life story on how you used to look as good as me and all this bs..there is this one guy at my school who always needs to reassure me that he is quote "just getting back into it" i swear it pisses me off i tell him that he just needs to stick with it instead maybe that will help your gains..this kid is a nice dude and all but he always needs to tell me all of his stats and how all of his numbers have went down bc hes gotten injured or some bs like that..it is SO **** annoying bc he keeps going and going! i will just be standing there saying, ok, yeah, ok, oh..and he doesnt stop..ill start my set and hes still going! i really need a pair of headphones or something lol
Old 01-17-2007, 05:33 PM
rickck48 is tryin harder!
Middleweight

I have built pretty much own gym in back of my house with not however, the equipment I need. I hear these stories of some of these folks at gym kinda makes me glad I don't go. I would love to join a gym all we have though is Family Fitness gym near us but I wouldn't want to hear all this Tarzan type stuff i don't think. I commend you guys and gals on some of your patience! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Goal: NOT there Yet, But haven't quit either!

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Old 01-18-2007, 04:45 AM
Adam Knowlden should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

Speaking of stealing machines. There are limited incline benches in my gym. Out of courtesy, I set my water jug on a nearby ledge. I get up to take a drink and the bench is gone! Oh well, I guess the moral to the story is if you get up you're done with the machine. Also, its New Years season, a lot of people have no idea about gym norms. Give it a few months and it will be back to normal [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I like the towel idea!