Notices

Old 08-08-2006, 03:06 AM
Whey Man is procrastinating.
Light-Heavyweight

Default Re: Gym Social Norms

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I actually had an old guy one time ask me to race him around the track in my gym! This dude had to be at least 75 and he said he needed someone to push him, haha. The funny thing was I did it, haha.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL that reminds me of when old guys want me to play basketball with them. So what'd you do? Did you take it easy on him, or did you waste him?

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, no, I kept it close to try and push him. It would have been funnier though if I would have just took off and lapped him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that's good. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] that was nice of you.

Say guys, I have another one for you...

So there's this guy I've seen at the gym everyday, and he has one artifical leg. I've course I've always been curious about how he lost it, but I wouldn't dare ask. Well inbetween one of his sets today, some dude asked him, "How'd you lose it?"

I don't know...I guess it might not have been too bad, but I myself would just never do something like that. I would hate to remind him AGAIN that he lost his leg. I think he's probably tired of hearing about it and just wants to move on. I would only ask him if I knew him and was close to him.

Old 09-23-2006, 11:42 PM
gauol should change his/her status!

Hereís one that bothers me; Iím right in the middle of a set (of anything) and using the mirror to watch my form, Iíve stepped back a few feet so people can get around me and to the dumbbell rack. Some meathead comes up grabs some dumbbells and starts a set of his own directly in front of me. This drives me nuts because you donít realize how help the mirror is until itís blocked by some jackass.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:00 AM
Adam Knowlden should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

I think a lot of gym ethics are relative to the type of environment. In a hardcore gym, I don't see a problem leaving "normal" starting weight on a machine. In fact most people who are waiting for the machine will say "go ahead and leave that on". Its almost disrespectful to leave a machine naked, like an insult someone would use less than a plate. But in a place like lifestyle fitness, its considered discourteous. People will give you dirty looks.

Also, I've noticed in my gym everyone is germ conscious. I guess if someone sweats then moves on it doesn't bother me (as long as they're not nasty, or sweating excessively). But for some people, they sanatize the entire machine before they get on, then again when they get off. Too me that's a waste of time when I'm in a groove. I also don't remember anyone caring about such protocols at the hardcore gym I used to work out at.

Finally, people trying to carry on a conversation with you in a gym is annoying. That's why I just wear headphones, and enter the pain zone. I don't have much to say when I'm working out and it distracts my attention and visualization techniques.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:39 PM
rickck48 is tryin harder!
Middleweight

hey now, ya'l know you suppose to take it easy on us old guys! We have a hard time, keep up wiht speed and bulk,,right? I get beat up in karate class all time,,,,but it sure is good exercise!,,lol,,, [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Goal: NOT there Yet, But haven't quit either!

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Old 09-26-2006, 10:01 PM
DirtbagDan should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

I'm coming into this thread late, but here's some things i've encountered...

The Laughing Man - This guy at my gym who laughs whenever he does an exercise... he laughs during his sets. The first time I encountered this was when I was with my friend at the cable station and the guy went to use the bench press machine which was right next to the cable station. Anyhow, my friend is on the chubby side and is very self concious, so when we heard laughing behind us, he whispered to me "is that guy laughing at ME?". I looked behind me and the guy was staring forward into space and laughing as he was doing his set. He went on to to more sets, and laughed constantly through them EVERY TIME. To this day he still does it with every exercise and it is just very strange.

The Guy That Smells Horrible - Not much to say here. I'm pretty sure everyone has at least one of these in every gym. The guy who has some horrid smell coming from him, it smells like he took a dump in his pants. Very very strange...

Mr. 70s/80s retro - This is pretty hilarious. There used to be a guy at the gym who would look like he came straight from the 80s and 70s. You know, the knee-high socks, the nylon very very short shorts, the headband, etc. It was pretty funny.

Big Ego Showoff - Everyone's got at least one of these guys. In my case, it was this guy who came in with his girlfriend or something and heads to the legpress machine. He must have loaded something like 800 lbs. on there, when it looked like he obviously couldn't do it. He gets on while his girlfriend watches, and struggles out 1 rep. It's so heavy that he cant hold out before he can engage the lock on it, and the thing comes crashing down making the loudest noise in the gym and almost destroyed the machine. Guess who's the moron.

Eat-While-You-Train - I think i've told you guys about this person before. He's a good friend of mine, but I just had to put him in here because it's that strange. He cooks up food like steak, potatoes, etc. and eats WHILE he is training. He's got his reasons about how he believes pre-workout and post-workout meals dont really do anything or something. Pretty crazy.

That's all for now. I'll put more up later. This is a great thread!

"Some people call me a fat pig in the off season, but when I step on stage those same people are kissing my @ss" - Lee Priest

"That last rep where you're trying as hard as you can and you barely make it! That is what turns on the growth mechanism in your body. That last almost impossible rep where you're bearing your teeth, you're shaking all over, you need assistance! That rep is very special, that rep is very different. There's something special going on inside your body when that happens." - Mike Mentzer
Old 11-20-2006, 03:07 AM
Grizzly should change his/her status!
Middleweight

I had to put my 2 cents in because of something that recently happend at a gym I go to:

I had to go to the gym rather late, round 7ish, and it was packed. The flat bench stations were all taken, so I go up to one kid and ask how many sets he has left. He says 3. I figure, ok, it's gonna be awhile so screw it, i'll do some seated calf raises which was right near the bench. So He does 1 set, then his friend comes over and starts talking to him.

5 minutes later, they are still talking, and he hasn't done another rep. Meanwhile i've done like 8 sets of calfs. I'm PISSED at this point. I can't believe the lack of consideration. I usually keep to myself, but I had to go up to him because I was so ticked. I told him that I wanted to get in there and asked if he would finish anytime that night. He apologized, did one set, then apologized again and left.

Hopefully he learns to never do this again as it's ridiculous and is right up there with replacing your weights. Get me mad just thinking about it...
Old 11-20-2006, 06:16 AM
Birthright1 is The Master Blaster PUMP Master
Light-Heavyweight

Hey i thought talking was part of the 4th horsemen; oh your right after checking it is all about lifting my bad. These people make me angry they should join a book club so as not to get in our way with there inconsiderate babalings.
Lo, they do call to me
They bid me take my place among them in the Halls of Valhalla
Where the brave may live
Forever.

"Either you lift it or you don't."
Jesse Dawson Marunde
Old 11-20-2006, 08:31 AM
LayWarrior should change his/her status!
Rookie

I was going to make my own post about this but i reckon i'll just stick it in here.
Dont get me wrong or anything, my gym is really good and theres alot of good atheletes in there but all I often see in there is the monsters, who are far bigger than I'll ever be, talking to each other casualy during their sets and during their 10 minute rests between sets! and they all talk over scrawny little me, in my way whilst I'm supersetting heavy flies with press ups.
Theres this kinda pack of about 8 in my gym with all the big guys, who "train" together. Anyway theres the kinda 'silverback' of the group and hes a pretty big guy like 6"5 300lbs, and there always asking for tips on training and who he beat up last night, for looking at his car or somthing. He has alot of these sorta stories.
I dont really care about other people in the gym, if anything these people motivate me. What gets on my nerves is the lack of discipline they have. I personnally do not see lifting and fitness just as somthing to use to intimidate others and look cool, but as a discipline and to test myself, many of these people dont.
Another kinda funny one is the guy that looks like a sorta neolithic John Travolta and walks around drinking tea during his session with a cup and saucer. Anyone else have the 'tea party' guy?

- Matt
Old 11-20-2006, 01:55 PM
TruthlessHero should change his/her status!
Rookie

Tea? No, but I see a lot of idiots walking around with smoothies during their workout. It's more like a milkshake (ice cream, milk, etc).

One thing that really gets me is the ignorance of some of the lifters who seem more "senior". The big guys with belts, straps etc. They start talking to me in the middle of a set, where I'm clearly struggling. The one guy asks me about once a week "Dude, do you think I have big arms?" or "Dude, do you think my arms got bigger?" and then one of his buddies says "Of course he's going to say yes. What do you think his answer would be if you said 'Do you get a lot of (!@#$%^&*)?'"

Everything else that you guys talked about gets me too. There's this one old lady that goes in everyday and thinks everyone likes to talk to her, but she's just really annoying. She uses the lightest dumbbells for an hour hogging the same bench. I've noticed a lot of people lolly gagging lately, wasting time, hogging benches, etc.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:15 PM
Baugh should change his/her status!
Rookie

Well, working out in a college gym, I've pretty much seen every and all of the things that have been mentioned above. Some personal favorites though, that haven't been mentioned (I think)

The Ogler: This guy will show dedication that few could match in coming to the gym every day. However, once there, he'll proceed to do nothing but stare at the girls trying to work out. He'll pump out a few reps of bicep curls but then do nothing but wander around, trying to get a peek. It's gotten so bad at times that I've been forced to confront him at the behest of some of my girl friends who get so creeped out it begins to affect their workouts.

The Jerk: This can be anyone really, but for me it's a guy I met a month or so ago at a party. Not really a friend of mine, more of an acquaintance. But anyways, I go to the gym the next day and he's there. We exchange greetings but then we go our separate ways(Or so I thought) I'm in the middle of a dumbbell set when this kid walks up and starts rattling off the funniest anecdotes from last nights festivities. Needless to say, my concentration is ruined. The worst part of it is, even though I haven't seen this guy at parties since then, he still approaches me in the gym and relates HIS experiences from the weekend or whatever. I'm convinced it's karma getting at me for getting drunk...