Gym Social Norms - Page 4 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Scientist Department > HYPERplasia Research

Notices

Old 07-16-2006, 12:23 PM
book should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

Default Re: Gym Social Norms

O nah I'm not against screaming when your seriously going hard. But doing machine shoulder presses or extrme partial rep 140lb barbell curls (examples ive seen) is not cool.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:50 PM
XenoWang should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

I'm in complete agreement with ya there. If I'm not doing squats or deads, I never go and scream during a set. The most I'll do is a short grunt.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:12 AM
Whey Man is procrastinating.
Light-Heavyweight

Going back to the discussion about leaving weights on the machines...

I don't really like that way of doing things. Usually at my gym when any weight is left on, it means that it's still being in use and that the person is just off doing a superset or getting water or something and will be back shortly. So it drives me insane when people leave weights on the benchpress and no one's touched it for about an hour because everyone who walks by assumes it's being used. You wouldn't believe how many people have asked me, "Is someone using this?" and I ALWAYS say, "No, it hasn't been touched for awhile now."

Old 08-06-2006, 09:26 PM
TheShanMan should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Yeah, that's a great point, Whey. That drives me crazy too. If someone walks off after using equipment that I want to use and I don't catch them before they walk to the other end of the floor, I am left wondering "is he done"?
Old 08-06-2006, 11:28 PM
Light-Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, that's a great point, Whey. That drives me crazy too. If someone walks off after using equipment that I want to use and I don't catch them before they walk to the other end of the floor, I am left wondering "is he done"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell me about it. It's just such an uneasy feeling. Even though I don't work at my gym anymore, I find myself going around picking up after people so no one else gets confused.

I might as well add something else that annoys me too...I just hate it when people stare at me. This has probably been mentioned in this thread already...but man alive. I mean sure, I accidently catch myself glancing at people too once in awhile, but only a quick one if I KNOW they can't or haven't seen me. Anything longer than one second is just bullcrap IMO. I'm tired of being stared at for 7+ seconds. Then I just have to look at them so they'll stop, and they immediately turn the other way like, "Hey, he didn't know I was looking at him." But I did! I DID know you were looking at me! My gosh. And I REALLY think it's funny when they're "pretending" they're not staring.

So in my opinion, quick glances = ok. It's natural. Staring...not good. Not good at all...

Old 08-06-2006, 11:50 PM
XenoWang should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

Maybe OT, but...

The strangest, creepiest thing I've seen is this one guy who works out at UPenn's gym... I honestly think he has some kind of degenerative disease and for that I feel really bad for him, but he literally looks like he has no muscular LBM beyond what is necessary to live and breathe! He's really just one step from being a skeleton- it's almost like his skin is shrinkwrapped around his bones and it's really freaky to see. What's more, on every single rep he does he lets out the most disturbing sound. Not quite a scream, not really a grunt... More like a "uuuunnnnnnnnnnnggggggghhhhhh." Think of a cross between a constipated dude and some guy "doing the deed." Yeah, sorry for that (auditory?) visual, but it's the closest I can get to describing the sound. Freaky...
Old 08-07-2006, 01:06 AM
kwood34 should change his/her status!
Middleweight

This thread is awesome because I know others go through my agony, haha.

I HATE when strangers come up and talk to me. If they just ask a question or something it usually isn't a problem. When they start rambling on and on I usually give them no feedback whatsover. I don't make eyecontact or respond and it takes them forever to get the idea! And I can totally relate when people try to talk to you during a set.

I actually had an old guy one time ask me to race him around the track in my gym! This dude had to be at least 75 and he said he needed someone to push him, haha. The funny thing was I did it, haha.

One other thing I will add that I don't like is when people walk around me too close. You will be doing a set of DB flies and someone walks so close to your bench you have to change your form. Its not that hard to walk around and give people an extra 5 feet to workout.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:35 AM
TheShanMan should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Xeno, that was a bigtime lol - I can just picture and hear that guy in my mind [img]/forum/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img].
Old 08-07-2006, 07:38 AM
Light-Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]

I actually had an old guy one time ask me to race him around the track in my gym! This dude had to be at least 75 and he said he needed someone to push him, haha. The funny thing was I did it, haha.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL that reminds me of when old guys want me to play basketball with them. So what'd you do? Did you take it easy on him, or did you waste him?

Old 08-07-2006, 12:16 PM
kwood34 should change his/her status!
Middleweight

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL that reminds me of when old guys want me to play basketball with them. So what'd you do? Did you take it easy on him, or did you waste him?

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, no, I kept it close to try and push him. It would have been funnier though if I would have just took off and lapped him.