Gym Social Norms - Page 3 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Scientist Department > HYPERplasia Research

Notices

Old 07-12-2006, 05:33 AM
TheShanMan should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Default Re: Gym Social Norms

[ QUOTE ]
For a cage or rack, I would say take ALL the weights off. Yes, most people (well depending on the gym you go to - LOL) use it for squats, and of course they can start at one plate for a warmup and such. But there are still a lot of people that don't (far more than leg press). Not to mention the variety of exercises you can do here, such as lunges that you might desire a lower weight. Also - remember height. I am pretty short, 5'7, so when a 6'6 dude leaves the bar 1 foot above my head (his squat start height) with the weights on it does become a chore to have to take them off before readjusting the clips lower.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep - I agree, should never leave weights on in a cage. More often than not I will reposition the rack either because of a difference in height or because I'm doing a non-standing exercise like heavy bench without a spotter or seated BB military presses.

Even though I can see the logic behind leaving a plate on the leg press, my philosophy is that I'd rather just ALWAYS return the weights because I'd rather not presume that the next person will want it like that and then be wrong. I think it's better that the next person has to load the weights, than the next person has to remove the weights.

But hey, we're only touching on part of what my original thought was. And I hope we can all agree on this next part... people leaving dumbells or plates on the floor, by the benches or whatever, rather than returning them to the racks they belong to (please tell me you all agree [img]/forum/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]).
Old 07-12-2006, 05:46 AM
Light-Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
The only thing that I find real annoying is the Sceamers in my gym. From reps 1 through to 10, they will scream their lungs out. It's so pathetic and annoying too - mainly the reason why I got earphones that block out all outside noise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, man, there's a guy in my gym that continually makes these loud high pitched grunts - doesn't matter what exercise he's doing. I refer to him as "girlie grunt" when I'm talking to my partner. It is hilarious, but obviously can be distracting during a set. That's when headphones turned up loud come in handy. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-12-2006, 06:38 AM
Qester is looking forward to his cardio session tommorow
Light-Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For a cage or rack, I would say take ALL the weights off. Yes, most people (well depending on the gym you go to - LOL) use it for squats, and of course they can start at one plate for a warmup and such. But there are still a lot of people that don't (far more than leg press). Not to mention the variety of exercises you can do here, such as lunges that you might desire a lower weight. Also - remember height. I am pretty short, 5'7, so when a 6'6 dude leaves the bar 1 foot above my head (his squat start height) with the weights on it does become a chore to have to take them off before readjusting the clips lower.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep - I agree, should never leave weights on in a cage. More often than not I will reposition the rack either because of a difference in height or because I'm doing a non-standing exercise like heavy bench without a spotter or seated BB military presses.

Even though I can see the logic behind leaving a plate on the leg press, my philosophy is that I'd rather just ALWAYS return the weights because I'd rather not presume that the next person will want it like that and then be wrong. I think it's better that the next person has to load the weights, than the next person has to remove the weights.

But hey, we're only touching on part of what my original thought was. And I hope we can all agree on this next part... people leaving dumbells or plates on the floor, by the benches or whatever, rather than returning them to the racks they belong to (please tell me you all agree [img]/forum/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]).

[/ QUOTE ]

That i definately agree on

"Obstacles are those frightening things that become visible when we take our eyes off our goals."
Henry Ford
Old 07-13-2006, 04:32 AM
*DyLan should change his/her status!
Stranger

Theres a Girlie grunter in my gym! every rep every set eeeeehhhhaa! so funny. Also, from now on, I will leave 45s on the leg press so I can help a lady out and start a conversation with her [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-13-2006, 03:59 PM
Gain_is_Pain should change his/her status!
Bantamweight

When you are in the middle of a set and someone comes along and says "Excuse me" and tries to get past you (my gym is small).

DRIVES ME MAD!!! I'm halfway through a set!!!

How long would you have had to wait?

Should I stop my set just because you've decided to walk through the weight room on your way to the sauna or reading the newspaper or anything else other then hard work.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....

Why doesn't ABC start it's own Gyms? Globally!!
Old 07-15-2006, 01:18 AM
Light-Heavyweight

Thought you guys might want to know... I saw a woman (quite a fit one at that) using 35's on the leg press. So I revert back to my prior stance that all weights should be removed. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-15-2006, 02:14 AM
XenoWang should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

I'm a "screamer", but only on my heaviest squat and deadlift sets. I find that the scream really helps me focus on the rep. I even do a warthog-like grunt before the set to charge myself up, hehe. Let's not even talk about setting my mp3 player to some choice songs that inevitably cause me to headbang for a couple of seconds before I approach the bar [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 07-16-2006, 01:01 AM
book should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a "screamer", but only on my heaviest squat and deadlift sets. I find that the scream really helps me focus on the rep. I even do a warthog-like grunt before the set to charge myself up, hehe. Let's not even talk about setting my mp3 player to some choice songs that inevitably cause me to headbang for a couple of seconds before I approach the bar [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

O yea squats/deads are a give in if there heavy sets or if you're really pushing it. Also if Ronnie Coleman was in the gym I don't think anyone would have the balls to do anything even if he yellwed continously lolol (same for you [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])
Old 07-16-2006, 01:54 AM
XenoWang should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

It just seems like if I don't get really really REALLY charged up before the set, which may include a couple of snorts and preliminary grunts, it feels like I'm not running at full capacity. I don't do it for the attention (for the most part, hahaha..... lame). I did scare a poor girl while screaming during deadlifts though. She literally moved across to the other side of the gym after that set of deadlifts. She had the most incredulous "wtf" look on her face when I glanced at her, haha.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:23 AM
Growth In Motion is always ready
Heavyweight

Im sort of weird when it comes to screaming. I dont usually do it, but sometimes it comes out. When i try to scream though, it sort of stuffs me up lol Guess i only do it when i need to, and even then i dont know when that is [img]/forum/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]