Gym Social Norms - Page 2 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Scientist Department > HYPERplasia Research

Notices

Old 07-11-2006, 06:30 PM
TheShanMan should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Default Re: Gym Social Norms

I'll have to start paying attention to how much weight women use on the leg press, so perhaps that is a partial exception. But a number of times I've seen women pulling 45's off and one time a woman even came over to me and asked for my help pulling them off.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:35 PM
dalvare1 is Huge
Middleweight

how about the guy who can do an entire workout in a cable station? I have a guy in my gym who is like the cable king. If he is down there, you can bet @ss no one will be using the cable station. and anytime you ask to get in, no joke he is like ummm well i just have a few sets left....... and he will sit there and glare at you the entire time your using it. god it makes me mad just thinking about him!
Old 07-11-2006, 08:20 PM
hoffmag2 should change his/her status!

THOU SHALT NOT PASS GAS IN THE GYM

The other day I was working in with some random guy at the squat rack when he let one rip. It wasn't just a normal "stick around for a few seconds" kind of gas, but more like a "i haven't crapped in three days and have been eating nothing but beans" kind of gas. HORRIBLE. For the sake of others in the gym, please, hold it in.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:38 PM
TasteLikeChicken should change his/her status!
Middleweight

The not taking plates back is starting to be a problem at my gym. Sometimes, half of the gyms plates are on different bars all ove the place.

One time my mom did a set of standing calf raises not realising that she was lifting an additional forty-five pounds(an extra plate)!

I have gotten a lot of comments during sets, that is what gets on my nerves. What does that work? or the less polite WHAT are you doing?!?!???! Questions and what not during intense sets. I also don't like comments, when people think they are encouraging me, they are really ruining my concentration and will to complete a certain ammount of reps.

Another thing that gets on my nerves is when people do triceps extensions on the high pulley in the cable crossover station when there is an idividual high pulley somewhere else in the gym. There is only one cable crossover station in the entire gym and it is used for cable crossovers, chin-ups, any low pulley exercise, there is no need to do anything else in there.

"Dumb bulls" -Milos Sarcev

I collect muscles.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:37 AM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

Wow, the tempers are starting to flare in here lol. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:49 AM
Qester is looking forward to his cardio session tommorow
Light-Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
I think it depends on the apparatus.

On things such as leg press, I have seen maybe 2 people in my gym do less than a plate or two. So I will usually just leave a plate or two on, that way people don't have to unrack it. Same thing with the shrugs machine. I saw that Jay Cutler did this in one of his videos (and used the same logic), so I figure it is not too bad. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

But for the squat rack, bench, etc. I usually take those off, because a lot of people can't even do a plate. Or, they may not like the bar that is being used (there are 3 different types of bars in my gym).

I want to know what the consensus is though, so I can abide by our social norms. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is semi what i do, ill noramlly leave 2 plates on leg press, 1 plate on the squat..and ill derack any bench or shoulder machines or anything like that.. Im not saying that i leave all the weight on, if im squatting 3 plates i will take off 2 of them just my logic i guess, it may be flawed but meh

"Obstacles are those frightening things that become visible when we take our eyes off our goals."
Henry Ford
Old 07-12-2006, 03:41 AM
Down 2 Die should change his/her status!
Middleweight

I normally leave one plate on the leg press... however, at my gym we have the 100 lb. plates and I am constantly seeing women having to struggle with them. I have been asked numerous times to help.

Days tobacco free: 48
Old 07-12-2006, 03:57 AM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

Yeah, I never leave the 100 pound plates on. I think that is wrong.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:24 AM
Armor for Sleep is fasting intermittently.
Middleweight

On leaving weights on -

It depends on the apparatus we are discussing. For the leg press, as stated above VERY FEW people will use less than one 45lb plate (including women). The only situation I can imagine is some sort of rehab. So I leave one plate on after doing this exercise.

For a cage or rack, I would say take ALL the weights off. Yes, most people (well depending on the gym you go to - LOL) use it for squats, and of course they can start at one plate for a warmup and such. But there are still a lot of people that don't (far more than leg press). Not to mention the variety of exercises you can do here, such as lunges that you might desire a lower weight. Also - remember height. I am pretty short, 5'7, so when a 6'6 dude leaves the bar 1 foot above my head (his squat start height) with the weights on it does become a chore to have to take them off before readjusting the clips lower.

Other things that piss me off -

people leaving their towels, music players, car keys, etc on a bench THEY ARE NOT USING. They can be doing curls standing up but they leave their items on the bench 1 foot away from them. There is no reason for this, I have to ask them if I they are using the bench and they say 'no' and look all annoyed as they pull their things off.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:18 AM
book should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

The only thing that I find real annoying is the Sceamers in my gym. From reps 1 through to 10, they will scream their lungs out. It's so pathetic and annoying too - mainly the reason why I got earphones that block out all outside noise.