Should We Starve Ourselves for 8 Hours Everyday?!? - Page 3 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Scientist Department > HYPERplasia Research

Notices

Old 07-29-2006, 03:42 AM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

Default Re: Should We Starve Ourselves for 8 Hours Everyday?!?

Great insight guys. Very helpful. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

So I guess there are a couple of things we need to determine here:

1. Does waking up in the middle of the night to eat hinder your sleep
2. Does it interfere with circadium rythms and stages of sleep like REM
3. Does a protein shake in the middle of the night enhance anabolism significantly?

Here is my opinion.

First, I have tried this. I have been having about 1 scoop of pro-score, 1 gram of HMB, 5 grams of glutamine, and 1 scoop of the amino acid shooter in the middle of the night.

I am not a sleep expert. But, from my experience, as with several others that posted, this has not disturbed my sleep at all.

I always get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom like others anyway.

However, I do like the idea of allowing this to wake you up, rather than an alarm clock. That would be interesting to test.

But all I do, is put my timer on for 3 hours after I go to sleep, wake up, down my shake, go to the bathroom, and that gives me 4-5 hours more to go back to sleep. So far, I have not had any problems with sleep by doing this. However, some might. It would be an interesting experiment to examine. You could take 50 people and do this, and see how many report sleeping problems.

Again, this is not my expertise. Old school has done a ton of research on this, however. I would really like to hear his insight.

Here is a quote from one of his great z-factor articles, http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/zfactor2.php

[ QUOTE ]
Q. 14. Is it possible to manipulate the sleep cycle in such a way that I can get more SWS and cut out REM sleep?

A. Hardcore question bro!

Donít make any mistake about it! You need REM sleep!

It is primarily responsible for restoring mental properties, and being severely deprived of it can actually kill you! (OK, thatís in the extreme case! LOL)

REM sleep is very vital to bodybuilders, and not getting enough will just create a sleep debt. So, if you fragment your sleep you will just slip into REM sleep faster the next time you crash. Just remember, you canít cheat the sleep cycle! Yeah, youíll go through the initial sleep stages again, but the time will be harshly shortened and youíll go into REM very quickly after you fall asleep and stay in that particular stage longer. You will complete it eventually, but interrupting sleep will only delay it, and more than likely make you drowsy all day.

[/ QUOTE ]

This quote from his article, leads me to believe this method should not interfere with REM sleep.

Does a protein shake in the middle of the night increase anabolism? And, does not eating for 8 hours during sleep actually make you anabolic?

The President has been doing a ton of research on this; hopefully, he will be able to comment on this soon. But he has found some insane support for this.

He said he read some studies that protein synthesis is decreased 30-50% in the middle of the night! And that this was highly related to leucine depletion.

But guess what? They infused BCAAís in the middle of the night, and this solved the problem, maintaining growth in the middle of the night. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

So from this, I think there definitely is a benefit to having some protein in the middle of the night. I think adding some EPA and DHA may be a good idea, too.

This is also consistent with our research on protein. Prez and I found that protein synthesis can be increased just as effectively 1-2 hours after a meal. So it would make sense that you could spike protein synthesis again in the middle of the night.

So I think there are benefits to this.

The potential side effect would be losing sleep.

So perhaps you should try it for yourself for a week, and see if it works. If you have a hard time sleeping, or notice you feel more drowsy, then try to make some adjustments. But if it still does not work, then it would probably be better not to do this.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:50 PM
TheShanMan should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Great post, Venom! Validation! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Thanks!
Old 07-29-2006, 07:33 PM
President Wilson is hard at work
Administrator

[ QUOTE ]
The potential side effect would be losing sleep.

[/ QUOTE ]

However, you can learn to not lose sleep. The origional disturbance can be adjusted to as most perturbations can. Soon it would become second nature to fall right back to sleep. I discuss this in the issue which comes out next month in detail (actually next week).

I do not feel it is worth the 4 hours of catabolism, but I will detail this in my articles on leucine as to exactly what my rationales are.

I will say this though, Im thankful for everyones insights, they are very thought provoking and drive future research. Very strong points made

About me --> http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/presidentprofile.html
Old 08-06-2006, 06:57 AM
Whey Man is procrastinating.
Light-Heavyweight

Another way to naturally wake up is to mediate on the time you want to wake up at. For instance, as I child I would set my alarm for Saturday morning cartoons... and I a would actually consistently wake up literally minutes before the alarm would go off, because I would obsess about waking up at that certain time to catch my favorite cartoons (you caught me...Pokemon).

It may sound weird, but try setting your alarm for the time you want to eat in the middle of the night, and just keep telling yourself repeatedly that you HAVE to wake up at that exact time. The goal is to wake up BEFORE the alarm goes off though. You could argue that you don't need to turn on the alarm, but I suggest doing so because it gives you an actual goal. Perform and wake up...or you lose and Mr. alarm goes off. Plain and simple.

Once you get used to waking up at the certain time, I assume it would be second nature to naturally and consistently wake up at that time without the risk of the alarm going off.

Eh? Sound good? I'm going to try this out. To me it sounds better than forcing myself to have to pee in the middle of the night. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Old 08-06-2006, 01:44 PM
wordlife should change his/her status!
Lightweight

I think I have to agree with prez on his point.

I usually sleep to 12 o'clock in vacations because I've got nothing to do. So my schedule is adjusted to sleeping 3 am. But on Tuesdays, I have to wake up at 8 am for monday night RAW (8 hours differene in timings between US and here). So I was setting alarms at first, but by now, on tuesdays I wake up 8 am sharp without alarms, and fall back to sleep at 10 right after the show is over.

With that being said its not practically impossible to wake up, down the shake, and go back to sleep, but I believe it will be hard time getting used to this.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:40 PM

That was hillarious whey man haha! Tonight, I am going to obsess over eating protein in the middle of the night. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Seriously though, I think my body is adapting. I woke up the other day a few minutes before my alarm clock. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:12 PM
Whey Man is procrastinating.
Light-Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]

Seriously though, I think my body is adapting. I woke up the other day a few minutes before my alarm clock. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, isn't that the best feeling in the world?! I feel like my life can't get any better after such an amazing accomplishment. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Old 08-26-2006, 08:11 AM
sucramdw should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

I am in the process of going through the Leucine article and just ordered a ton of AAShooter along with a bunch of other supps. from the store and am excited to try this method!!
Old 09-27-2006, 06:01 PM
dashforce should change his/her status!
Lightweight

For a few weeks now I've tried a few different 3am "meals" (whey shake, whey with leucine, a little cottage cheese). I seem to be significantly less hungry at breakfast when I do this.

My main concern with the mid-sleep meal is that it might affect the morning insulin sensitivity. I can't help but think that overnight depletion of (liver) glycogen plays an important role in morning insulin sensitivity. Could eating during the night make one less insulin sensitive in the morning?
Old 09-27-2006, 08:25 PM

I don't see how eating protein and efa's would in anyway decrease insulin sensitivity; in fact, it does the opposite.

And yes, I am much less hungry at breakfast, which is a great thing!
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies