Exercise Decreases Depression --> Why? - Page 5 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Scientist Department > Psychology of Bodybuilding

Notices

Old 10-10-2007, 03:45 AM
shellybelle should change his/her status!
Stranger

Default Re: Exercise Decreases Depression --> Why?

although i mostly agree with this article. the only problem i have with it is that sometimes exercise makes you pretty tired(esp heavy lifting), and to me, that doesn't help with my depression. and with winter comming, nothing helps but medicine. i did exercise to be able to go off my medicine, and was off of it for about a year, but the fall/winter is approaching...and so were my symptoms...
Old 10-10-2007, 05:40 AM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

Seyle had a solid concept of stress acting as a eustressor (good stress) or distressor (bad stress).

Certainly exercise can act as the later. In order to avoid this, you must work on designing a proper, periodized training program. Also, your nutrition must be equally solid.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:05 AM
Chiron should change his/her status!
Middleweight

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When i come home from the gym, I peel off my shirt and hear a splash as it hits the floor. I look at the mirror and see my blood pumped body, grin and nod my head, and right then, i know that I kick (!@#$%^&*)!

seriously though, it feels great to like what youve worked so hard on, not vanity, but accomplishments.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very true. One thing I like about constantly training is that it feels as if you are in control. It also feels like you are in a continual state of improvement. Like everything you do, including eating your meals has purpose and meaning

[/ QUOTE ]

Great stuff guys.

You right about the control Prez, it is the best feeling ever. Besides lowering depression I also find it a great stress reliever.

Typical example would be that I would have a bad day at work, boss busting my chops, loads of work and at the end of the day I just feel out of it. I then hit the gym in the evening and after a good solid workout my day's stress just seems to fade away. I personally feel it is a great stress controller as well.

With constant training an individual does become less depressed which as many of you guys mentioned is better than being on medication, however, when it comes to stress, I dont think an individual would want to train every single day to relieve himself/herself from stress, it would be too much for the body. Then again, this depends on the individual and how he/she handles it.

My apologies if I brought up something that has already been mentioned. It has been a while since I have been here, still catching up on all the posts. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
Old 12-12-2007, 12:18 PM
fleabittenmutt should change his/her status!
Stranger

I personally have found exercise, and specificly bodybuilding, to be the greatest antidepressant for myself. T This is my first post and I dont think I could find a better thread to make it in.
I am just starting to get back into bodybuilding after about 4 years or so and I feel better than I ever have. I broke my foot and couldent really work out and subsuquently
fell into a major depression. During the time I was not exercising I felt absolutly awful about my life and my self. I became compleatly apathetic towards everything in life, droped out of school, isolated myself from other people as much as I could, couldent even get my self out of
bed some times, and was constantly thinking of suicide. I started to see a psychiatrist and he put me on just about every antidepressant there is and none of them really had any benefit, but a lot of side effects.
I also started to drink pretty much all day every day to excape my life, and putting alcohol into my system, especially sometimes up to 15 or more beers and whole
bottles of 100 proof vodka, is pretty much like throwing a match into a barrel of gasoline, I would get very violent towards my family and very destructive, usuly not remembering a thing about what happened the night befor. I would wake up and notice things like a huge gash in my
leg that probly should have gotten stiches and blood all over, and things like a broken tv or furniture around.
Last april I got a laceration in my tendon on my finger and was bounced from doctor to doctor - partly because I had no memory of what happend and partly because they didnt
know what to do with me - so instead of just having a doctor sew the two parts of my tendon together I
had to undergo a primary tendon graft, they took a tendon from my wrist to replace the one in my finger, which I am just now starting to fully recover from. Infact it was just last week that my physical theripest said I could start to lift weights again, and after being physicly incapable of doing so for about 8 months it was probly the greatest thing Ive ever herd in my life! Just the thought of being able to work out again made me so happy i was able to stop taking my antidepressant and feel like my life was worth living again, and I was on effexor xr which is just about the hardest to get off of but I was able to stop taking it with minimal
withdrawl effects and have only just begun to start exercising again and I feel better than I think I ever have.
It isnt just the fact that I can lift weights again that has led to such a huge turn around in my life, part of it is that Ive found faith and spirituallity, but being able to do what I absolutly love doing - Bodybuilding - is a very big part of it. It has really made me feel a sence of control over my life and my self.
I apologize if this post is a little long and rambly, still cant really get a good nights sleep because of the effexor withdrawling from my system, but I hope it can at least help someone else out there who reads it, and it deffinatly helped me to wright it all out for other people to read.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:11 AM
Birthright1 is The Master Blaster PUMP Master
Light-Heavyweight

Would the lack of any long term affect of exercise contribute to depression? For instance you go to the gym 3 days a week for a year and you feel really good after your workouts so this inurn helps your depression. But after a year of going and not really having a clue what you are doing and making no progress whatsoever; already suffering from depression donít you think that this could possibly be the thing that puts you over the edge?

I guess the cure for this is a detailed workout plan that is proven to give results. However the inability to follow this plan is likely if said person suffers from depression to any great extent.

So while I agree with the fact that exercise will help with the short term affects of depression but without proper guidance and a planned routine that is followed I feel it will only lead to a deeper state of depression due to the failure of said person to obtain a specified goal; especially if that goal is not realistic and physically obtainable for that persons body type. Add to that the person having stopped taking there medication due to the short term relief from depression due to exercise and this could lead to a sever breakdown.
Lo, they do call to me
They bid me take my place among them in the Halls of Valhalla
Where the brave may live
Forever.

"Either you lift it or you don't."
Jesse Dawson Marunde
Old 12-19-2007, 05:01 PM
joneser3eb is adding weight to the bar
Steel-Heavyweight

I think it can help dramatically to reduce symptoms of depression. although I do not suffer from it myself, I have friends who do. They seem to be helped a great deal by working out. Alough I do agree it can be a victious circle, in that if you have trouble getting a routine down and are not meeting your goals or fail at what you are trying to accomplish then it can make things worse and make you give up all together.