Exercise Decreases Depression --> Why? - Page 4 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Scientist Department > Psychology of Bodybuilding

Notices

Old 10-08-2006, 12:36 AM
President Wilson is hard at work
Administrator

Default Re: Exercise Decreases Depression --> Why?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Great, I'll ship you a copy!

[/ QUOTE ]

oh, no dont go through the trouble. I thought it was in pdf form or something. no need to ship me anything. thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

I just emailed you a copy [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

About me --> http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/presidentprofile.html
Old 11-15-2006, 03:56 PM
Baugh should change his/her status!
Rookie

As someone who had been diagnosed with a mild form of depression, I can say with utmost certainty that working out has had a benefit on my mental and emotional well being. While it's nice to see how my body is improving over the long term, I think the sense of accomplishment after a good workout is just as important.

Edit: Think I could get a copy of the article too?
Old 05-29-2007, 12:04 AM
zidion should change his/her status!
Lightweight

I remember that when I first heard this, I thought it was just someones way of trying to get me to work out. As someone who was put on anti-depressants at a young age, and was on some form of them for a long long time, this is definitely true. Soon after I started working out, my dosage was lowered. As of a few months ago, I officially no longer on them.

Exercise has no only help me physically, but has really helped save me mentally.
Diet: "13 Weeks"
Split: "13" Weeks + Extra Cardio
Old 05-29-2007, 08:59 PM
Stian should change his/her status!
Rookie

If you look better you feel better.. Seeing your muscles grow (or fat go away) is a really good feeling.

I think depression is caused mainly because of a pessimistic view of the future. You may feel your life isn't heading the way you want it to, and also have a feeling that you are unable to change that.

What working out will show you more than anything is that you CAN improve, and can thus trigger a more positive attitude. The feeling that you can achieve great things is the most empowering feeling out there. If something in your life isn't exactly want it to be doesn't matter that much if you feel there's a chance that will change.

Building muscles\loosing fat\gaining strength will help your self confidence, and I believe a person who really believes in him self will have a hard time getting depressed.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:48 PM
Petetheprop should change his/her status!
Rookie

I've got to agree with the guys who have seen the anecdotal benefits of this - I've never been treated for Depression but I have some familiarity with the mild end of the spectrum.

I am definitely an easier person to know when I'm working out regularly (as long as you don't mind the smelly clothes) and after the initial shock period I have a lot more energy.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:00 PM
rickck48 is tryin harder!
Middleweight

I agree with Dtian, absolutely, I have my own business as well as a asst. Pastor. It is hard sometimes to find the time for motivation to workout,,BUT everytime I do that great feeling of euphoria does come along. I think depression can be defeated with steady bouts of lifting for pleasure or bodybuilding! My compliments to all your answers excelent! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Goal: NOT there Yet, But haven't quit either!

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Old 07-04-2007, 07:41 AM
Anthony Lapham should change his/her status!
Middleweight

I can defenatly prove that exercise helps cure depression as when i started bodybuilding i was 15, Wilson and the guys from bak then may remember my mum explaining that im too young etc... Not that i was ever going to stop heh...
However i started bodybuilding not only because i wanted to get big but because i suffered from depression. I started taking EMA fish oils to help cure depression however i found once i started bodybuilding there was no need to take these anymore... As exercising gives off a 'feel good' attitude and it makes you feel refreshed.

Regards ,
Ant
Success comes before work....only in the dictionary.
Royalmarine69@msn.com
Old 07-05-2007, 08:36 AM
klosey should change his/her status!
Super Moderator

this might just be me (maybe not) but does anybody else find that when lifting they never get depressed but a week or so after stopping you dont feel depressed but perminantly narked off?
Old 08-25-2007, 02:01 AM
Rhineheart is having a good day despite the weather.
Lightweight

What always upset me (as I do/did suffer from depression, everyone tells me that when I go to the gym and return, my attitude is COMPLETELY different (much more positive and upbeat). The same people tell me that its not a great thing that I semi-rely on exercising as a self-medication -- yet they're the ones taking anti-depressants, overweight, etc.

Thoughts?
Old 09-26-2007, 12:26 PM
MartinofSweden should change his/her status!

How do you guys think passive activation of muscle (with electric stimulation) would affect depression? Do you think people who suffer depressions so severe that even getting out of bed is simply not possible could benefit from this type of treatment? Maybe passive stimulation could help rule out the pure socio-psychological effects vs the neurophysiological ones to some extent, taken this kind of treatment leaves a measerable result at all.

Isa 55:9