Exercise Decreases Depression --> Why? - Page 3 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Scientist Department > Psychology of Bodybuilding

Notices

Old 07-28-2006, 08:17 AM
klosey should change his/her status!
Super Moderator

Default Re: Exercise Decreases Depression --> Why?

maybe exercise releases the same mood lifting chemicals in the brain as chocolate?
Old 10-03-2006, 07:23 PM
Ignoramus should change his/her status!
Lightweight

[ QUOTE ]

Structural change : Increased muscle mass/decreased bodyfat. Increased fitness and general well being

chemical change: well I imagine the increased cortisol and endoprhins from exercise would have a relaxing effect. Also increase in growth hormones and other anabolic hormones may contribute to a sense of well being

Physiological effects: Well I think a lot of times people get depressed because they see their lives stagnating or even heading back wards (monotonous lifestyle, loss of job/family member, injury etc..et..) and exercise gives them an outlet that they can achieve on. When they notice the changes in their body it's like a beacon for them, that there is something they are doing that is improving there life and is exciting.

Well at least those are my thoughts. I remember when I was really injured how depressed I got when I wasn't training and numerous times I've seen board members exclaiming how they hate not being able to train.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think endorphines are the key. muscle development, overall health, and psychological mood developments can be attributed to reducing depression but endorphines have direct effect. When you workout u are causing your body stress, the brain releases endorphins to allow you to cope with it.

i just went through a relatively intense workout compared wth my previous ones and **** it felt almost as good as when i took a prescribed painkiller after a medical procedure. Something peculiar though was that this euphoric state was achieved/climatic only after my post workout solid meal.
Old 10-07-2006, 02:34 AM
Dzoni should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

what about depression that doesn't come from things such as self esteem and things that you personally cannot control (things like living through 4 years of war)... i think depression is the cause of other diseases, my mom has to take anti-depresents due to the stuff we went through the war, i was 8 years old and seen people killed infront of me, 2-3 ft infront of me, i been put the gun to my head so many times at age 8, but strangly i've managed to put that behind me, where my mom cannot put that behind her and she is so ill, and as soon as she gets a cold, she attracts other problems such as sinus problems, chest problems and even physical problems such as back pains and muscle pains... she has taken up walking 30 mins a day (3-4 times a week) and she said her self that it has helped her a lot, but then things happen (family issues) and she stopped and caused the levels of problems to rise even more due to the constant stress, worrying and always not being healthy!

i personally need to find some serious papers about this because if i dont prove to her she needs to relax and reduce the stress (and depression) it can get even worse in the future!
Old 10-07-2006, 12:09 PM
President Wilson is hard at work
Administrator

[ QUOTE ]
When you workout u are causing your body stress, the brain releases endorphins to allow you to cope with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, especially acutely. Acutely, if you block peripheral endorphin receptors you eliminate the analgesic effects seen following exercise

About me --> http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/presidentprofile.html
Old 10-07-2006, 12:12 PM
Administrator

[ QUOTE ]
what about depression that doesn't come from things such as self esteem and things that you personally cannot control (things like living through 4 years of war)... i think depression is the cause of other diseases, my mom has to take anti-depresents due to the stuff we went through the war, i was 8 years old and seen people killed infront of me, 2-3 ft infront of me, i been put the gun to my head so many times at age 8, but strangly i've managed to put that behind me, where my mom cannot put that behind her and she is so ill, and as soon as she gets a cold, she attracts other problems such as sinus problems, chest problems and even physical problems such as back pains and muscle pains... she has taken up walking 30 mins a day (3-4 times a week) and she said her self that it has helped her a lot, but then things happen (family issues) and she stopped and caused the levels of problems to rise even more due to the constant stress, worrying and always not being healthy!

i personally need to find some serious papers about this because if i dont prove to her she needs to relax and reduce the stress (and depression) it can get even worse in the future!

[/ QUOTE ]

Great question, and this is why the purely psychological reasons do not explain exactly what is occuring.

What appears to be occuring is that there are actualy structural changes in your mothers brain that are occuring, such as atrophy of her hippocampus. The general reasoning behind the paper Gabriel and I have under review in the Journal of Physical activity and health is that exercise stimulates neurogenesis and reverses the deficits that are seen in your Mom.

The evidence for clincial cases and exercise are very strong.
Shoot me an email and Ill send a copy of the paper for you Mom

Old 10-07-2006, 01:33 PM
Dzoni should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

Thanks PW [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Email has been sent!
Old 10-07-2006, 04:51 PM
Administrator

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks PW [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Email has been sent!

[/ QUOTE ]

Right back at you! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Old 10-07-2006, 05:40 PM
Lightweight

[ QUOTE ]

Great question, and this is why the purely psychological reasons do not explain exactly what is occuring.

What appears to be occuring is that there are actualy structural changes in your mothers brain that are occuring, such as atrophy of her hippocampus. The general reasoning behind the paper Gabriel and I have under review in the Journal of Physical activity and health is that exercise stimulates neurogenesis and reverses the deficits that are seen in your Mom.

The evidence for clincial cases and exercise are very strong.
Shoot me an email and Ill send a copy of the paper for you Mom

[/ QUOTE ]

thats fascinating. i just sent n email for the copy too.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:27 PM
Administrator

Great, I'll ship you a copy!

Old 10-07-2006, 11:55 PM
Lightweight

[ QUOTE ]
Great, I'll ship you a copy!

[/ QUOTE ]

oh, no dont go through the trouble. I thought it was in pdf form or something. no need to ship me anything. thanks