Exercise Decreases Depression --> Why? - Page 2 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Scientist Department > Psychology of Bodybuilding

Notices

Old 07-05-2006, 05:03 PM
President Wilson is hard at work
Administrator

Default Re: Exercise Decreases Depression --> Why?

[ QUOTE ]
This is a topic I am super interested in, I wish I had the time right now to research it!!! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to go ahead and submit a version for the magazine as well. Its quite interesting!

About me --> http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/presidentprofile.html
Old 07-05-2006, 11:05 PM
TheShanMan should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
Physiological effects: Well I think a lot of times people get depressed because they see their lives stagnating or even heading back wards (monotonous lifestyle, loss of job/family member, injury etc..et..) and exercise gives them an outlet that they can achieve on. When they notice the changes in their body it's like a beacon for them, that there is something they are doing that is improving there life and is exciting.

Well at least those are my thoughts. I remember when I was really injured how depressed I got when I wasn't training and numerous times I've seen board members exclaiming how they hate not being able to train.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this is very true... Several years ago after being laid off, I was very thankful to have a daily workout routine going because it gave me something that I could accomplish every day, as opposed to just sitting at home in my underwear [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] all day looking for jobs on the net.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:04 PM
Gain_is_Pain should change his/her status!
Bantamweight

I think alot of depression has to do with self perception. If you are exercising regularly then your self percepion will be far better. Looking better, feeling healthier, sense of worth etc..

If I was miles out of shape I reckon I'd be depressed too!
Old 07-13-2006, 06:33 PM
TheShanMan should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Absolutely!
Old 07-13-2006, 10:04 PM
Fahsy should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

Very interesting topic. From personal experience I can notice a big difference in my personality between training days and off days (usually 1 day per week). I feel a tremendous endorphine rush after working out which usually last for the rest of the night it seems. I also have a great feeling of accomplishment after a workout, especially after a heavy back or leg workout. Overall, bodybuiling (and working out in general) helps me deal with life better. I would like to add more, but it is time to workout.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:50 PM
Administrator

Man,

thanks a lot for your insight! In short I really like the psychological mechanisms you discussed, and they do have evidence supporting them.

The article I am going to publish with Gabriel in particular addresses actual structural changes that occur in the brain with exercise.

Its interesting, but the theme of the article is this

1. The evidence is clear that exercise lowers depression as well as and in cases to a greater extent then drugs

2. Both drugs and exercise appear to raise similar hormone and neurotrophic factors (factors that increase neuron health, and even new neuron formation).

These include for example

1. Insulin like growth factor
2. Epinephrine / Norephinephrine
3. Serrotonin
4. Endorphins ( which has a lot of contraversy but we argue that there is a great deal of support for this).

3. We propose that the mechanism that these substances operate are to actually cause structural changes in the brain, in particular 'neurogenesis' or the formation of new neurons in the brain.

4. Evidence for this

1. People depressed have atrophied or lower brain volumes
2. Exercise appears to reverse this
3. In animal models of depression, if neurogenesis is hindered then the depression effects of both exercise and or drugs is also hindered.

So the take home message is this: Exercis actually has real, substantial structural, and measurable changes in the brain, including the formation of new neurons, and increases in the complexity of those neurons! In contrast a sedentary lifestyle does the opposite.

Also I will discuss intensity and other factors.

I'll release a more detailed paper on our site in about 2 weeks with the other articles, like leucine and such like. But the paper for the site will be less technical and more clear than the technical version submitted to Medicine and Science in Sports and exercise

Old 07-24-2006, 12:19 PM
J-Bird should change his/her status!
Bantamweight

When i come home from the gym, I peel off my shirt and hear a splash as it hits the floor. I look at the mirror and see my blood pumped body, grin and nod my head, and right then, i know that I kick (!@#$%^&*)!

seriously though, it feels great to like what youve worked so hard on, not vanity, but accomplishments.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:19 AM
Administrator

[ QUOTE ]
When i come home from the gym, I peel off my shirt and hear a splash as it hits the floor. I look at the mirror and see my blood pumped body, grin and nod my head, and right then, i know that I kick (!@#$%^&*)!

seriously though, it feels great to like what youve worked so hard on, not vanity, but accomplishments.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very true. One thing I like about constantly training is that it feels as if you are in control. It also feels like you are in a continual state of improvement. Like everything you do, including eating your meals has purpose and meaning

Old 07-27-2006, 08:05 AM
NJI is gaining weight!!
Hyperplasia Aggressor!!

[ QUOTE ]
This is a great research topic.

It is insane how much money people are spending on depression pills every year. Yet, scientists have been saying for a while now, that exercise is probably the best anti-depressant solution in existence. And guess what--it costs nothing! Just grab a pair of shoes and go run. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Or at most, buy a gym membership.

[/ QUOTE ]
It would seem that this type of research would be of great interest to the health insurance industry. A one year gym membership would save millions of dollars per year when compared to diseases and other health related issues that costs them in, dare I say, unnecessary drugs, treatments and operations.

Jacob maybe you can get funding for more research utilizing this avenue? [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

"When your vision is powerful enough, everything else falls into place: how you live your life, your workouts, what friends you choose to hang out with, how you eat, what you do for fun. Vision is purpose, and when your purpose is clear so are your life choices. Vision creates faith and faith creates willpower. With faith there is no anxiety, no doubt - just absolute confidence." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
Old 07-28-2006, 02:24 AM
Administrator

[ QUOTE ]
Jacob maybe you can get funding for more research utilizing this avenue?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a worthy cause.

In Florida i may be conducting a study this fall on this subject with Dr. Levenson, a worlds expert on this subject. I'll keep everyone posted. It all depends on some other factors, because I may also be conducting some research on HMB