First timer with a diet question - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Old 06-04-2006, 09:01 PM
livelong2 should change his/her status!
Stranger

Default First timer with a diet question

Hey all
I came on here looking for some advice and everything looked so good I thought I should join. I'm 19, 5'5 and 120lbs. Right now I don't have a lot of time to work out so because of the convenience I've joined Curves for the summer. I try to get the most out of the machines but I want to add some more cardio to it. I'm trying to tone my body, mostly my arms and abs are what I'm targeting. I'm having trouble knowing what to eat. I don't want to lose pounds I just want to firm up. Any suggestions for a diet that's not too constricting but will still allow me to get toned?
Old 06-09-2006, 02:15 PM
should change his/her status! Edit

Default Re: First timer with a diet question

It sounds like you are on the right track, but just a few misconceptions... "Toning" is just a buzz word that is simply a combination of burning fat and building muscle. It sounds like you want to do a combination of both, so I'd recommend 3 days of weight training, and either 2 or 3 days of cardio on alternating days (ABABABX) Gym machines can be good, but I'd say concentrate on free weight exercicses - you will get more bang for you buck because they force you to use other stabilizer muscles etc. What is your routine/split like right now?

Spot reducing is also a myth, and it is not wise to only work certain muscle groups of the body (will cause muscular imbalances etc) - so make sure to do exercises that work the entire body and follow a solid diet

Here's an example of a diet that will help you get started

Egg Whites
Oatmeal

Chicken Breast
Broccoli
2 Fish Oil Pills

Protein Shake
Sweet Potato

Meal Replacement Shake

Fish
Green Beans
Rice Pilaf

Cottage Cheese
Spinach
Tsp Flax Oil

So, you would just adjust the amounts to what you need. The important thing is to have protein and complex carbs at each meal. Some will have essential fatty acids (EFA's) and others will have veggies or fruits. The only time that really changes is after an intense weight training workout. In that case, I'd recommend a whey protein shake with dextrose (equal grams of each). Have the shake immediately after your workout and sip on it over a half hour. Then, a half hour after you finish the shake, go ahead and eat a post workout whole food meal.

I know it sounds like a ton of food, but just play with the amounts. The high meal frequency will rev your metabolism and help burn fat.

Oh also, dont go by your weight on the scale. It is not accurate. When you think about it, do you really care how much you weigh? No, all we care about is what we LOOK like! So, try to get your bodyfat measured (you can do it, or you can have it done at a gym) Then you know how much of your bodyweight is fat and much is lean body mass. It is very possible that you weight could increase, but you look more slim and with better muscle definition after following a program like this

Well, time is short, but I'm sure you have more questions so fire away! I hope that helped!
Old 06-14-2006, 10:47 AM
livelong2 should change his/her status!
Stranger

Default Re: First timer with a diet question

Thank you so much! That's exactly the info I was looking for, it really helps. I'll do my best