Research Question of the Week - What is Knowledge? And How do we know? - Page 2 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Scientist Department > HYPERplasia Research

Notices

Old 04-15-2006, 08:09 PM
Njari should change his/her status!
Lightweight

Default Re: Research Question of the Week - What is Knowledge? And How do we know?

Newbuilder, I'm not sure what you mean here. [ QUOTE ]
Question it, the Lord says our physical presence is going to take the shape he has defined

[/ QUOTE ] Could you elaborate? If you are stating that God has defined (or caused) reality, then we are in no way disagreeing--I was emphasizing the idea that there is ONE reality that we all coexist within. It is studyable, and knowledge of it can even teach us about its Creator:

"The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies procliam the work of his hands.
Day after day they pour forth speech;
night after night they display
knowledge.
There is no speech or language
where their voice is not heard.
Their voice goes out into all the earth,
their words to the ends of the world."
(Psalm 19:1-4a)

"For since the creation of the world God's vinvisible qualities--his eternal power and his divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse."
(Romans 1:20)

[ QUOTE ]
How do we know that the Lord encourages or even supports bodybuilding?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there are many options in life that we are free to decide on, and either option is morally acceptable (such as choosing a college, a place to live, or a hobby). Moreover, I think that bodybuilding is beneficial not only because it keeps our bodies in peak health (when done properly), but it also teaches us valuable lessons about having control over our bodies:

The following passage Paul is responding to a few statements ("Everything is permissible for me," and "Food for the stomach and the stomach for food."} These ideas were being used as a justification for sexual immorality. I especially like the part about not being mastered by anything. I feel like when I control what I eat, I start to gain control in other areas of my life, and I make more efficient use of the resources that I have been given.

"'Everything is permissible for me'-but not everything is beneficial.'Everything is permissible for me'- but I will not be mastered by anything. 'Food for the stomach and the stomach for food'- but God will destroy them both...Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body." (1 Corinthians 6:12-13a and 19-20)

This passage is telling us to honor God with our bodies. That doesn't mean that He is more pleased by an 8% bodyfat physique than a 9% bodyfat physique, but in general, I think there are physical, psychological and even spiritual benefits to mastering control of your body. The rest is just hobby/sport. Bodybuilding, like any other activity, must be done with the mindset of bringing God glory:
"...whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." (I Corinthians 10:31b)
Old 04-15-2006, 10:18 PM
newbuilder should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Default Re: Research Question of the Week - What is Knowledge? And How do we know?

[ QUOTE ]
Moreover, I think that bodybuilding is beneficial not only because it keeps our bodies in peak health (when done properly), but it also teaches us valuable lessons about having control over our bodies:

The following passage Paul is responding to a few statements ("Everything is permissible for me," and "Food for the stomach and the stomach for food."} These ideas were being used as a justification for sexual immorality. I especially like the part about not being mastered by anything. I feel like when I control what I eat, I start to gain control in other areas of my life, and I make more efficient use of the resources that I have been given.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, So you are saying that whatever practice we take up, as long as it is having control over our bodies then it is...What?
Can someone who practices sourcery taking control over their bodies?
Someone who practices Tantra, are they practicing control over their bodies? How does bodybuilding differ?
Is their a search for real knowledge or truth in bodybuilding?
There must be a reality that is common for all-I mean we all require food that is common amongst us all. We need to eat to survive and not only that, we need to drink too. That is reality. Is that also knowledge? Is it then true that we need food and drink to survive?

Let's look at it like this:
Reality is that we become hungry and thirsty.
Knowledge is the ability to recognize the possible remedies and causes for our hunger and thirst.
The Truth is that we need food and drink.

Our knowledge will bring us to the conclusion that a juicy steak and a few tall glasses of water will become a top choice and will remedy our hunger and our thirst.
And after we eat a steak and drink 3 or 4 glasses of water, we are no longer hungry or thirsty...... for about 2hours or so, and then the process starts all over again.
And that process will continue over and over again as long as our knowledge of that steak and water that we need does not run out.

But then we come to a time when we find that the reality is till that we are hungry.
And our knowledge brings us to know that we need a big juicy steak and water to drink, but the cows have all died, and the rivers have run dry. This knowledge has failed us and we will die if we continue to depend on it. For we find by this circumstance that what we had was not really knowledge, for true knowledge would never fail to find a solution to our given problem of hunger and thirst.

Hmmmmmmmmmm........
The reality is we are hungry and thirsty

Knowledge is to recognize the possible remedies and cause for our hunger and thirst - but all the food as died and the water has run dry. Real knowledge would tell us that there is a remedy and a cause that will never fail us, no matter what the circumstance. It will lead us to a food that will work 100percent of the time given even heaven and earth pass away.

"For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed."JOHN6:55. Knowledge.

Truth is we still need food and drink.

"I am that bread of life."JOHN6:48
"This is that bread which came down from heaven: not as your fathers did eat manna, and are dead: he that eateth of this bread shall live forever."JOHN6:58. Truth.

So, here we have my answer. Real knowledge will never fail.
For even within my own body there are things going on that are too great and wonderful for me to know.
And Truth lasts forever.

"Children...need to hear about their parent's faith. They need to see that faith in action, and they need to know the miracles that result from it."

"Your waist size should never go above a thirty-two"-Mom
Old 04-16-2006, 05:47 AM
Adam Knowlden should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

Great post Venom.

I believe to answer this question, we have to first address what intelligence is because intelligence is what guides our decision making processes.

This concept is so deep, I am planning on writing a JHR article about it!

I have been studying Stephen Covey's methods for making effective business decisions. Mr. Covey is a world renowned business consultant.

He breaks down intelligence (he did not come up with this concept, its been studied in the business world for quite some time now), into four catagories.

1. Mental Intelligence (IQ)
2. Physical Intelligence (PQ)
3. Emotional Intelligence (EQ)
4. Spiritual Intelligence (SQ)

I could go on for days about these 4. Note that because these dimensions of life overlap, you can not work exclusively on any one without touching directly or indirectly on the others!

In other words, it verifies that decisions need to be made on moral authority.

Buiness leaders are now recognizing that to survive in the current "knowledge worker era", old post industrial techniques of micromanagement are insufficient.

Mangers must empower their employees and allow all four intelligence to flurish.

Never the less, many businesses are trying to apply industrial age leadership strategies in a knowledge worker age. Business consultants predict these organizations will be swept away as this era unfolds. Similar to the ages of the past for instance the hunter/gatherer age, the agricultural age and soon the industrial age.

However these 4 intelligences are coorelated directly to quite a few "birth-gifts", including "THe freedome to chose", in which between a stimulus and response there is always a choice, no matter if the space between the stimulus and response is a fraction of a space, there is always a choice! Without understanding this concept we can not recognize our full potential for knowledge.

There is also another birth gift, the concept of natural laws or principals. Some include fairness, kindness, respect, honesty, integrity, service, and contribution. For example you can never have enduring trust without trustworthiness. CS Lewis argues this point repeatedly and basically created the case, and in doing so is shaping the way upper management leads businesses of the 21st century.

Seriously, I could go on for hours, its uncanny how much the biblical methods for operating a business line up with current business theory and the teachings of the greatest business coaches of the 21st century!
Old 04-16-2006, 10:55 PM
rickck48 is tryin harder!
Middleweight

Well my 2 cents worth, thanks Venom good question. My knowledge comes mostly for real time experience, and the actual experience of others, such as yourself, when you say you actually tried it. Sometimes it is scientific statements when it comes to the body. Some of the reasons I claim the bible as true and 100% true is form personal experiences that doctors can not explain medically and the things in my heart that tells me when i am convicted of what I just done. I do hope you have great succes with this question look forward to reading your results. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] <font color="blue"> </font> The Best is yet to come!

Goal: NOT there Yet, But haven't quit either!

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Old 04-18-2006, 09:28 PM
tarheelsykes should change his/her status!
Middleweight

great post.

I think it is too easy for people to take into account their own experience versus the overall consensus. An example is someone saying " I dont see why God would have a problem with a homosexual couple if they are happy and in love", is taking what they feel over the authority of the Bible.
What I have used ever since Grad school, is if someone suggests a theory, to find any research that pertains to it. while looking at that research, look at methodology, assumptions of researcher, etc, make sure the study is not only done properly, but that it is relevant.
The one thing that can be dangerous, is when people take the present research and assume that is completely definite. For example, going with Venom's example of most people on this site agreeing that whey,malto and dextrose are main ingredients for a PWO shake is based on the evidence to this point. However, if new studies that were pertinent came out that suggested otherwise, but people were not willing to change, then that is very dangerous, limiting their knowledge.
The last thing I know I have to be careful with, is not discrediting something just because it doesn't have scientific research to back it up. When I was in NC, there was a gym owner who had been an IFBB pro, he did the diet and exercise design for a lot of local bodybuilders. some of the things he did were very unconventional, but they always worked. those who followed what he said, were always excellent shape once they stepped on that stage (and I am talking about natural bb's, my sister was one of them).
So when it comes to knowledge, to me it is a mix of having an open mind, but being sure to research on your own at the same time. if something is stated, and you are not sure if it is correct, research, ask questions, etc yourself until can decide what is right and wrong. If your reason for believing something is because "so and so said that...", that is never a strong argument

"Everyone bring joy when they walk in the front door of a gym, some on the way in, some on the way out"
Old 04-19-2006, 11:24 PM
TasteLikeChicken should change his/her status!
Middleweight

I think that we must remain vigilant because what we assume is knowledge, more often then not creates dogmas. Theories that may have not been proven are sometimes assumed true if not contested for awhile. What we consider knowledge is based on reality and if it conforms with it. During the Age of Enlightenment humans began to rethink what was realy true and necessary, we need to constantly be doing the same. Reality is based alot on how we perceive it and is not necessarily always the same. Society creates it's norms and they change. Is reality logic and scientific? If God created everything, He had no obligation to make it make sense.

"Dumb bulls" -Milos Sarcev

I collect muscles.