Tip of the Week: Learning to contract your abdominals - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Scientist Department > HYPERplasia Research

Notices

Old 03-29-2006, 12:13 AM
TheMac should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Default Tip of the Week: Learning to contract your abdominals

Here are two quick tips that should help you to train your abdominals much more effectively!

1. Maintain a posterior pelvic tilt during all your ab training. This means having the front of your hips face upwards. Your lower back should be touching the ground while doing any lying down abdominal work. In doing so we shift the weight from our hip flexors to our abs. I see this done wrong so many times in the gym no wonder why no one ever feels their abs contract.

2. To quote Old Schools ab training article located here :
[ QUOTE ]
The abdominal muscles primarily work within a 0 to 45į range of motion (ROM). When the plane of motion exceeds 45į, the hip flexor and psoas muscles carry out a majority of the action.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find the reason why people preform so many crunches is because they never really feel their abs working. With these 2 tips in mind i sure hope you do! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ikeEaglesa.jpg

"The truth Iíve discovered is that you donít have to lift enormous weights to grow muscle. By using stricter form, slower negatives, and stretching between sets you can get an incredible pump in all your workouts. Numbers are an abstraction, especially to muscles. Your body doesnít know the absolute weight of what you lift, it only recognizes how heavy it feels. The secret is to make lighter weights feel heavier. " - Frank Zane

"Sacrifice: To give up, destroy, renounce, and surrender your ego, excuses, bad habits, fears, and your couch - in the belief of an ideal or pursuit of a worthy goal."

"All thing are possible to him who believes." -Mark 9:23
Old 03-29-2006, 12:15 AM
Light-Heavyweight

Default Re: Tip of the Week: Learning to contract your abdominals

I also want to mention that the first time i learned about the posterior tilt i could not do one lying leg raise without my hips comming up so don't be surprised if you can't get 1 full rep yet, keep working at it!

"The truth Iíve discovered is that you donít have to lift enormous weights to grow muscle. By using stricter form, slower negatives, and stretching between sets you can get an incredible pump in all your workouts. Numbers are an abstraction, especially to muscles. Your body doesnít know the absolute weight of what you lift, it only recognizes how heavy it feels. The secret is to make lighter weights feel heavier. " - Frank Zane

"Sacrifice: To give up, destroy, renounce, and surrender your ego, excuses, bad habits, fears, and your couch - in the belief of an ideal or pursuit of a worthy goal."

Old 03-31-2006, 05:22 PM
stillflabby should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]

I find the reason why people preform so many crunches is because they never really feel their abs working. With these 2 tips in mind i sure hope you do! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always wondered how people can do so many crunches at a time.

I do 15 and the burn is setting in, after 25 the pain is searing.

I usually don't do more than 25 with out switching things a bit, like throwing in a side twist.

thanks for the tips!!

My Journal
Old 04-01-2006, 01:19 AM
Light-Heavyweight

I am currently doing pilates in school and don't know if i ever want to go back to high rep work...after 8 reps of anything in pilates you are dieing!

Quality over Quantity!

Old 04-02-2006, 02:35 AM
should change his/her status! Edit

Thats cool you are doing pilates! I feel like I really need to improve my core strengh, and I'd like to take a pilates class but my gym doesn't offer one right now. Do you think it's helpful?
Old 04-02-2006, 04:19 AM
Light-Heavyweight

If core strength and overall stabilization is your goal they are great! Very functional stuff too!

Old 04-07-2006, 05:38 AM
mighty mouse should change his/her status!

good tips i'll start right away
Old 04-19-2006, 06:52 AM
Growth In Motion is always ready
Heavyweight

I gotta save these Mac, every tip is awesome. And an added bonus, they make me feel alot smarter lol