Can you permanently ruin your metabolism? - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > In Depth Nutrition

Notices

Old 03-17-2006, 06:49 AM
Travail should change his/her status!
Bantamweight

Default Can you permanently ruin your metabolism?

If somebody wants to lose weight for example and doesn't do any exercise instead he simply reduces his calory intake then the metabolism will slow down and he will have to decrease his calories constantly to lose more weight. Once you have really slowed down your metabolism then is this reversible? Or can your permanently change your metabolism?
I'm asking because when I was younger and didn't know anything about nutrition and all this I would simply eat very little food when I wanted to lose weight. It's no question that I also lost a lot of muscle mass without being aware of this. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Often I would go to school in the morning only having had a coffee! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
This is sick. I wish I had known this back then.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:06 AM
l0stsheep is practicing beginner's mind

Default Re: Can you permanently ruin your metabolism?

No

**Coming from a recovering Anorexic**

A(1) carrot stick used to be my best friend. Now it's 6+ meals a day.

A list of Forum Rules For ABCbodybuilding - Click Here For In Depth Bible Studies - ABC Store

"...Christ will be magnified in my body, whether by life or by death." -Philippians 1:20

Authentic Happiness
Old 03-17-2006, 12:10 PM
Bantamweight

Whew, this is good news. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

But I guess in order to lose weight it's still not a good idea to simply reduce your caloric intake because this will slow down the metabolism.
Old 03-17-2006, 05:06 PM
miker44 is pumped
Light-Heavyweight

in order to lose weight there are a bunch of factors that have to be taken into consideration...the lowering of calories (at a reasonable rate) is just part of it...nutrient timing plays a major role in weight reduction, meaning you would eat your complex carbohydrates earlier in the day and then in the last 2 or 3 meals replace them with leafy green vegetables...protein timing is also very important and you want to get a serving (based on your lbm) every 2-3 hours...the frequent eating that comes with a 6+ meal a day diet will prevent over eating and ensure that your body can use the nutrients you provide it....check into the 13 weeks fat burning diet, and youll see the things im talking about laid out in a user friendly plan that you can adjust to your own weight and goals
Old 03-18-2006, 12:06 AM
President Wilson is hard at work
Administrator

Great advice Mike! Really great insight into nutrient timing, which is absolutely invaluable to know about.

You will regain your metabolism with proper diet and exercise.

About me --> http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/presidentprofile.html
Old 03-18-2006, 12:05 PM
Bantamweight

I think I have no clue of nutrient timing.
I always thought it doesn't matter as long as you get enough calories at the end of the day.

Does this mean that this strategy of eating something every few hours to keep the metabolism high is working? Because some people say that eating too often only boosts insuline levels and should be avoided because when you have high insuline levels then you cannot burn fat because insuline and glucagone are competitive.
Old 03-18-2006, 05:13 PM
miker44 is pumped
Light-Heavyweight

sure frequent eating works, its the best way to strip fat AND also the best way to build muscle....no matter what the goal is, eating every 2-3 hours is key...however, the right kinds of foods have to be eaten...naturally, all foods have some sort of effect on insunlin, but foods that are higher on the glycemic index effect insulin levels much more drastically....there is really only one time during the day when you WANT an insulin spike, and thats post work out which is why it is recommended on this site to consume dextrose and maltodextrin with the post workout shake..this restores glycogen levels, and the insulin shuttles nutrients to the muscles....throughout the rest of the day it is generally recommended to keep your carbohydrates as complex as possible...meaning groud oats, brown rice, yams, and occasionally whole wheat bread....by consuming complex carbs throughout the first 3/4 of the day's meals, you keep insulin levels at bay...for the last meal or two of the night, you can switch out the complex carbs for leafy green vegetables as i mentioned above...these are high fiber, and burn EXTREMELY slow, they are excellent choices to match with cottage cheese or a casein protein shake before bed because they will spare the protein during the fast of a night's sleep.....if you have specific diet questions, you can post your diet (make a separate post) be sure to list your stats, goals, include macronutrient breakdown (protein, carbs, fats) and also the total amount of calories...this will give people a great idea of where your at and where you want to be and they will be best able to help you