Tip of the Week: Cardiovascular System and Fat Burning - Page 2 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Scientist Department > HYPERplasia Research

Notices

Old 05-16-2006, 08:45 AM
shodan should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Default Re: Tip of the Week: Cardiovascular System and Fat Burning

No PWS after doing cardio, most people wait 45 min to an hour and then consume some lean protein and complex carbs.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:21 PM
A.J. Rochon should change his/her status!
Rookie

<font color="red">"For cardiovascular benefits i would recommend intervals reaching a minimum of 90% of your max HR for best results."</font>

What about using this as an other option for building Quads? It looks effective since sprinters have hugh legs. It utilizes fast twitch 2B`s. I take it that this would also burns a lot of glycogen that would have to be replaced soon after.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:39 AM
should change his/her status! Edit

[ QUOTE ]

<font color="red">"For cardiovascular benefits i would recommend intervals reaching a minimum of 90% of your max HR for best results."</font>

What about using this as an other option for building Quads? It looks effective since sprinters have hugh legs. It utilizes fast twitch 2B`s. I take it that this would also burns a lot of glycogen that would have to be replaced soon after.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, right on! Sprinting is very anaerobic. It actually hits the hams and calves harder than glutes and quads, but definitely awesome for legs. Try substituting sprinting for leg day as a shock! Walk-back sprints work great - sprint all out for 15 seconds, then walk back to your starting line (about 45 seconds) and do that 5 times. Work up one more each time.

Since that type of exercise is at such a high intensity, you're right, it burns mostly glycogen for fuel. So, after you're done, you'd probably want to eat some high GI carbs or a Post workout shake similar to after a weight training workout [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 05-18-2006, 03:48 AM
TheMac should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

^^ What he said.

And although the hams do most of the concentric work while sprinting the Quads do a lot of eccentric work so they get hit hard too [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I would not recommend replacing a leg workout with sprints but they are a great way to increase the frequency of lower body work. Sprinting has been one of the few methods that work to bring my calves up to par, i have seen huge changes in them since i started sprinting.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ikeEaglesa.jpg

"The truth Iíve discovered is that you donít have to lift enormous weights to grow muscle. By using stricter form, slower negatives, and stretching between sets you can get an incredible pump in all your workouts. Numbers are an abstraction, especially to muscles. Your body doesnít know the absolute weight of what you lift, it only recognizes how heavy it feels. The secret is to make lighter weights feel heavier. " - Frank Zane

"Sacrifice: To give up, destroy, renounce, and surrender your ego, excuses, bad habits, fears, and your couch - in the belief of an ideal or pursuit of a worthy goal."

"All thing are possible to him who believes." -Mark 9:23
Old 01-28-2012, 06:22 PM
Attila should change his/her status!
Stranger

This thread gave me an idea. By this rational could you design a workout routine for individuals (primarily female) who wish to burn fat while not putting on too much bulk? What I'm thinking is stamina lifting to target the capillary rich ST muscle fibers. Activities such as 'Hundreds' lifting utilize extremely low weight with extremely high reps to increase capillary density. Primarily this is used to reduce recovery time and/or break plateaus but it could replace a traditional routine altogether.

Since ST fibers don't grow nearly as large as FT fibers you cold in theory design a full body stamina lifting routine to increase your body's overall capillary density without bulking up to a great extent. I know from experience one of the hardest myths to break through is that women will look manish if they lift weights. It's total BS but they never believe you. All the women I know usually go the cardio route and end up hurting their knees.

To each their own but to my understanding weight lifting has a much greater resting caloric burn than cardio. More mass means more calories spent to maintain it all day long. Could a great deal of that be the amount of capillaries in that mass of muscle? If that's so would a greatly increased capillary density over the whole body give a similar effect?

I started researching stamina lifting and capillary density for a completely different reason but this thread put a whole new spin on it for me. Thanks!
Old 01-28-2012, 10:26 PM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

Attila

Well, first off, women will never be able to be "massive" unless they take drugs (i.e. steroids) and eat an excess of calories. They simply lack the hormonal mileu that men have to achieve such a feet. So yes, it is certainly a myth that lifting weights will automatically make women bulky.

Capillary density is really not going to raise metabolism. Capillaries are responsible for defusion of nutrients and hormones to adjacent tissues. So if you have more capillaries, you will get a greater supply of nutrients and hormones to tissues, like muscle.

The aspects of exercise that would increase metabolic rate are increased mitochondria (the so called "cellular furnace" where you produce most of your ATP), increased muscle mass, and particularly increased muscle protein turnover. And of course, just the calories you used during exercise, and the increased short term caloric expenditure after exercise due to a variety of reasons such as increased adrenaline.

From cardio, you will increase mitochondria, capillaries, and use a lot of calories. Weight lifting and also sprinting (very high intensity cardio) will have a great impact on increasing muscle protein turnover, and muscle mass.

So a combination of both cardio and lifting weights is ideal for weight loss. And at the end of the day, you will also look better and be more functional with the combination of both.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:31 AM
Attila should change his/her status!
Stranger

Wow, I'm starting to wish I had taken biology in college rather than chemistry. Thanks so much, that answered a ton of questions I had.

Now I remember back in the day I tried a program where I was doing a 30minute lifting routine flush. All heavy weight, low rep but never more rest than it took to move stations. It sure got your heart pumping like crazy, would that activate both the cardio (mitochondria) and weight lifting (mass) aspects you described above?
Old 01-30-2012, 02:41 AM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

Yes, but to maximize mitochondria biogenesis from exercise, you will need to do cardio.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.