Research Question of the Week: Exercise Immunology - Page 3 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Scientist Department > HYPERplasia Research

Notices

Old 03-04-2006, 09:50 PM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

Default Re: Research Question of the Week: Exercise Immunology

[ QUOTE ]

excellent article venom. This is an example of why Omega 3's are so important in our diet, because they help decrease that inflammatory response, so it would be interesting to see the effect omega 3 supplementation would have on this effect

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a great point. I don’t recall reading much about the anti-inflammatory effects of food on immune suppression. Only about its influence on hormones.

You guys are giving me such great ideas. Thanks a lot!

And speaking of diet…here is some information. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Based on the evidence that hormones play an important role in immune function, it has been hypothesized that diet, particularly carbohydrates, could modulate the immune response to exercise. In this context, Kramer (as reported by Judy, 1995) investigated the effects of diet and exercise on immune function in 3 male and 1 female army training group. Participants were divided into four conditions. All three conditions of males metabolized 4,000 calories daily. Males in condition one consumed 1,300 fewer calories than they metabolized; males in condition two consumed 900 fewer calories than they metabolized; males in condition three consumed 250 fewer calories than they metabolized. Results indicated that t-cell response decreased by 50-60, 30, and 20% in condition one, two, and three, respectively. Conversely, the female group consumed an equal amount of calories to what they metabolized, and, improved t-cell response by 150-200 percent. The counfounding variable here could be gender differences; however, there seems to be a consistent trend that the immune system will be suppressed according to the magnitude of caloric deficit, when combined with physical activity.

Several studies have also indicated that carbohydrate consumption before, during and after exercise attenuates cortisol and other stress hormones, and diminishes the decline in immune function after exercise (Bente, Pedersen & Laurie, 2000). For instance, Nieman et al. (in press) investigated the effect of a carbohydrate fluid (6% carbohydrate beverage of Gatorade) ingestion on immune response to 2.5 hours of running. The drink was consumed before, 1 hour into the run, and immediately after the run. Results indicated that the carbohydrate solution significantly attenuated both cortisol and post exercise lymphocytopenia. However, carbohydrates have not been shown to abolish post exercise immune system impairment (Bente, Pedersen & Laurie, 2000).
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 03-05-2006, 03:49 AM
stillflabby should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

This makes me wonder...
Tonight I bought a 1/2 gallon jug to take to the gym with me so I can have my water right there.
The information on this site, combined with the Gatorade study makes me wonder if I should mix a bit of maltodextrin and dextrose with my water. The carbs will help keep keep cortisol levels in check, and keep my immune system healthy.

This coupled with the PWO shake should definately keep me anabolic, and really aid in replenishing my glycogen levels.

Is there any research that supports or contradicts my idea?

Thanks

My Journal
Old 03-05-2006, 04:25 AM

There are a lot of studies on this.

Typically, it is not advised for short duration workouts (less than 90 minutes). If you are training longer than 2 hours, as you commonly do in endurance events, then I would advise it for performance. Otherwise, right now, I could not advise it for weight lifters training in short duration workouts. I am not going to be dogmatic about that, but based on my research, those are my current conclusions. I would love to hear others thoughts on the topic though (I know Vlad has done a lot of research/experimentation with this). That is subject to change as I investigate this topic further (a definite goal of mine in the near future).

You can read this post for some issues with that method, here.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:58 PM
dueno88 should change his/her status!
Stranger

when you have the flu, your body raises its temperature the combat the pathogen. so maybe when one exercises the increase in body temp. may have some effect on the eradication of pathogen?!

besides, i dont know if its just me but when im sick i still do some intense cardio and afterward i feel good. i usually get over a cold in a few days and i haven't noticed a difference when i exercise.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:41 PM
psaturn should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I haven't read the last couple posts yet, but I had an idea, and I only have a sec - I'll check back after work. But, because we usually sweat during exercise, our pores open up, exposing the first layer of defense - our skin! Do you think that would make us more suseptible to germs?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never heard that, but I think that is a great postulation, bro. I am going to have to look into that more. Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

Venom,

2 Yrs ago I suffered a very bad bout of cellulitis in the right knee. I had a fever of 105 degrees and the injection of antibiotic in the tush did nothing and they had to send me to hospital emergency room and put me on IV antibiotics.

The pain from that cellulitis was one of the worst I ever experienced in my life and I have pretty high threshold to pain!

I have talked to several doctors and they said that usually cellulitis (skin infection) comes from a break in the skin but there was no break!

Then they asked me about my lifestyle and how I was into very heavy workouts. They said that during workouts that the skin pores do open very large and bacterias can get in very easily.

A Physician pathologist who is a patient of mine confirmed that it is true that the skin pores can get large enough that bacterias can get in.

At that time I was extremely hardcore in my workouts.

And I never had cellulitis in my life.

Cellulitis if untreated could be deadly if the infection goes to the bloodstream and to the whole body.

I had a patient that got cellulitis from just a paper cut.
(Joh 3:16) Porque de tal manera amó Dios al mundo, que ha dado a su Hijo Unigénito, para que todo aquel que en él cree, no se pierda, mas tenga vida eterna.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:17 PM

That is crazy, p-saturn. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] Thanks for sharring!
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies