Research Question of the Week: What is Stress? - Page 3 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Scientist Department > Psychology of Bodybuilding

Notices

Old 02-26-2006, 10:40 PM
Vlad is traalallaalal
Super-Heavyweight

Default Re: Research Question of the Week: What is Stress?

I've my "stress" clients do fullbody workouts 2-3 times per week + additional cardiovoscular training (2-3 times per week as well).

Fullbody workouts are not jocky, I really push them to the limit, reasons?

* They focus on the exercise instead of their every day troubles
* A greater amount of endomorfins and other substances is released after the workout, so they feel a lot calmer.
* Stressed people tend to have bad cardiovoscular health, full bodyworkouts usually contribute pretty good to their cadiovoscular status.
* I've them go to to group-training passes where they see other ppl doing their thing without worrying that they gonna be late for work and etc.

Sorry, I don't have time for reading through entire thread, so I'm just gonna post some stuff.

if a person is genetically inclined to a certain desease, let's say fibromyalgi, hormonal changes caused by stress might create a "healtier" enviroment for that desease. ie improve risk for catching it.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:04 PM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
From my research, moderate intensity exercise would be optimal for this goal. So for weights, I would do 12-15 reps for instance, if that was your goal. It should actually help relieve tension.

[/ QUOTE ]

I absolutely agree with this. I always feel very relaxed a couple hours after training.

Something interesting I learned in a class once. If a muscle is overly tight, you can over stretch it very quickly, then relax it. This will trigger the "Golgi Tendon Organ" to cause the muscle to relax even further. The muscle in the example was the levator scapulae.
I'm not sure how this would apply, but I find it interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Manipulating proprioreceptors is the bases of progressive relaxation (discussed by the Mac). It is really effective.

Thanks for your tips, Vlad.

[ QUOTE ]

if a person is genetically inclined to a certain desease, let's say fibromyalgi, hormonal changes caused by stress might create a "healtier" enviroment for that desease. ie improve risk for catching it.

[/ QUOTE ]

No question.

It appears that fibrinogen content increases with stress, and clots blood, which can then lead to a Thrombus (accumulation of blood cloting that can cause serious damage in arteries impeding blood flow etc.) and embolus (when the thrombus breaks off, and then gets caught somewhere; i.e. an emblus in cerebrum can causes a stroke)
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:54 AM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

Check this out, guys here [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:34 AM
shlape should change his/her status!
Stranger

[ QUOTE ]

Thus, the questions I propose to you are:

• What is stress?
• Are there such a thing as good and bad stress?
• How can/do we use stress to improve ourselves
• How can we relieve “bad” stress?

[/ QUOTE ]

What is stress? I can tell you about the bad stress, as I've had plenty of experience with it.
The stress I speak of (I believe) comes from a lack of acceptance of the things you can't control coupled with a distorted world-view or "how things should be".

Good stress: short but brutal gym workout. Short sustainable exposure without wearing yourself out.
Bad stress: see the earlier definition. Prolonged, unrelenting stress without relief.

Personally, stress served as a wake-up call, but not before some serious health issues creeped in; not to mention years of wasted effort trying to bulk up but not dealing with the stress outside the gym. It ultimately becomes a life-changer from your 'old ways'... whether it happens after a nervous breakdown or just before. I think I came close.

How do you clean up weeks / months / years of habitual (bad) stress? In a word, meditation. For me, it's a work-in-progress.