Research Question of the Week: What is Stress? - Page 2 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Scientist Department > Psychology of Bodybuilding

Notices

Old 02-12-2006, 02:16 PM
should change his/her status! Edit

Default Re: Research Question of the Week: What is Stress?

Great thread! So it sounds like stress is difficult to define, and can vary tremendously individual to individual. The techniques that Mac shared all are great - I have found mindfulness to be particularly helpful to focus when I am experiencing apprehension. It might even help improve mind-muscle connection!

I got to thinking about laughter, and exactly HOW it relieves stress... What exactly is it that makes laughing a stress reliever?
Old 02-14-2006, 12:43 AM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

Hey, Trillian

Good question!

I have not studied laughter to much, but from what I have heard, it may actually initiate the release of chemicals which increase joy. Also, being happy decreases mental stress, and stress can cause serious body damage. This is known as the Psychosomatic model.

Speaking of this model...here is a little something I wrote up on it. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

“Oh, stop worrying about his leg, he’s fine. It’s just psychosomatic.” Many times, people explain decrements in performance or health to the psychosomatic model. Yet, this quote shows a complete lack of understanding of the model. First, it suggests that the decrement is all in the mind; however, it may not just be mental. Second, it is very dismissive, suggesting that mental disorders are easy to fix. Indeed, hundreds of studies are showing again and again that decrements to health due to the mind body connection are real problems (Simmons, 2006). In this context, the purpose of this post was to define the psychosomatic model, and ways to deal with stress using this model.

Many confuse the psychosomatic model with the disease hypochondria. Hypochondria is the unreasonable fear about ones health, accompanied by delusions of disease. For instance, people with hypochondria may turn frantic over the slightest pain, thinking it may be an indication of some horrible disease such as cancer, when it is nothing more than a bruise. However, the psychosomatic model is a real problem, and not just a delusion.

The psychosomatic model describes the connection between the mind and the body, and the resultant effects on health and disease generated from this connection. Results indicate that mental stress is a contributor to ailments such as paralysis, certain cancers, ulcers, and hypertension (Simmons, 2006). In a review article on the biological processes in psychological stress, Haddy and Clover (2001) found that mental stress was related to an increase in various potentially harmful chemical substances, such as cortisol which degrades proteins, including white blood cells and antibodies, resulting in a decrease in immune function, and consequently, elevated rates of sickness; and thyroxin, which causes an increase in cerebration (thoughts), which is why people that are stressed often have sleeping disorders—because they are up worrying all night (Inouye, 2006).

A model often not considered, but equally valid, is the Somatopsychic model, which discusses the effects caused on the mind by the body. For instance, in a recent Meta-Analysis, Landers (2006) found evidence that exercise can significantly reduce mental stress, depression, anxiety, and enhance cognitive function, among other benefits.

This model suggests that the mind body connection occurs through several steps; these steps will be discussed subsequently.

Figure 1

The Psychosomatic Model (Wilson, 2004)

Figure 1 describes the Psychosomatic Model. First, a stimulus (such as food, cold, etc.) is introduced into the environment. Secondly, the individual brings the stimulus into the body (has perception of it). Cognitive Appraisal is a stepwise process. After perception of the stimulus, you compare the stimulus to past experiences and then select out a response, and benefit from the experience (Sawyer, 2005). If you appraise the situation as being negative, then your emotional response will most likely be high cognitive anxiety, which is a negative emotional state. This emotional state would then drive the body (the supposed “link” between the mind and body; I say supposed, because evidence suggests all these stages are intimately linked between the mind and the body) to initiate physiological arousal, and a response, with the resultant effects promoting health or disease. It is important to understand that this model is not always linear. For instance, increased physiological arousal can directly effect perceptions or emotions, and perception can effect arousal.

The implications of this model are tremendous. By understanding these stages, we can intervene at certain steps, to influence the stress response. For instance, during a speech in front of hundreds of people (the stimuli, and perception), one may feel threatened, as they are being evaluated (cognitive appraisal). One may respond with negative emotions, which leads to increased arousal and stiffness during the speech, impairing performance. However, the individual could intervene here at the appraisal stages, with positive self talk, which involves self persuasion (i.e. telling yourself you can do it).

Many instead use pessimism here, which has been demonstrated to decrease performance, and increase stress (Simmons, 2006). Pessimism can lead to Learned Helplessness. Ziligmond reported that shocking animals no matter what they do, eventually resulted in them sitting down and taking the shock (learned helplessness). They later could not heal their mental sickness. Following this, the authors wrote many dissertations on the topic, and strongly urged scientists to never replicate an experiment which could cause such damage to animals. Yet, it appears many today are either unaware or did not take head to this suggestion, because we replicate this same experiment in the work place on a daily bases! When we provide environments at work, where people get no reinforcement for their actions, and people themselves turn into pessimists, this can result in learned helplessness, where we simply give up, because it seems there is no way to solve our problems.

Contrary to this ailment, is the concept of learned optimism. As the book of proverbs says, “For a just man falleth seven times, and riseth up again.” This concept keeps a person pushing on, and focusing on positive things, no matter the set of circumstances. For instance, if it took you ten times to pass your drivers test, so what, you got it still, right? Interestingly enough, too much optimism will never make you sick—there is no such thing as being too happy (Simmons, 2006).
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:19 AM
Adam Knowlden should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

This thread is great!
Old 02-14-2006, 04:39 AM
Coz is back with a vengeance
Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
This thread is great!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah really great stuff guys!

Forum Rules - ABC's Index of Bible Studies - ABC Store - My Journal

Hebrews 10:35-36
(35) Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward. (36) For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
-Albert Einstein

"I was gratified to be able to answer promptly. I said I don't know."
- Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

Arnold, Franco and Sly at Gold's Gym.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:03 PM

Thanks Venom! That was awesome! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 02-22-2006, 09:03 AM
CraZy-T! should change his/her status!
Middleweight

On a related topic:

I'm in theatre school, and we've just gotten a new acting teacher that advises against lifting weights because they cause too much stress in the body, and will limit our ability to express ourselves.

So my question is: Does weight training result in an accumulation of physiological stress in the body?

I've done a lot of work with the Alexander Technique which is focused on releasing habitual stress-related holding patterns. It can be really interesting! Sometimes, simple actions such as dropping the head to the chest shows tension being held in the body, as there are small "jerks" on the way down, that eventually iron themselves out. I feel more stress-free after weight lifting, how about you guys? Any physiological term for accumulated stress?
<font color="red">Starting BF%:</font> 16.0%
<font color="red">Current BF%:</font> 14.6%

Link to my Hyperplasia Challenge Journal
Old 02-22-2006, 01:29 PM

The most relaxed I ever feel is after a hardcore workout! And how would stress from lifting weights hinder my ability to express myself? It seems like that would only happen in totally extreme cases.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:27 AM
stillflabby should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
You are on fire, bro! I am glad I started this thread. We can continue this conversation for a while. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

Mindfulness:
-A modern form of an acient Asian technique that invloves maintaining awareness in the present moment. You tune in to each part of your body, scaning from head to toe, noting the slightest sensation. You allow whatever you experience, an itch, an ache, warmth to enter your awareness. Then you open yourself to focus on all the thoughts, sensations, sounds, and feelings that enter your awareness. This will keep you in the here and now, thinking about what is rather than about what if or if only.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was familar with the other techniques, but this was new to me. Its interesting how it is almost opposite to the other methods.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually would call this Progressive Relaxation for the mind. You focus on everything that is within your sensory perception NOW. You become acutely focused...then you relax. I've used this many times in the past. Focus on everything I can. After a while of doing this, (like an hour or more) you greatly alter your state of awareness. You are extremely calm, you have sharp mental focus, and things start to happen with regularity you might pass off as "coincidence" at other times. I personally feel at this time you are uniquely intuned to what I can only call "God's voice". It's an amazing experience. You sense and feel things that usually pass you by. You understand concepts that have alluded you in the past.

I really don't know how to properly explain it, but it's an amazing sense of spirituality.

My Journal
Old 02-24-2006, 11:54 PM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

Really cool comment, SF. I like that term—progressive relaxation of the mind.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm in theatre school, and we've just gotten a new acting teacher that advises against lifting weights because they cause too much stress in the body, and will limit our ability to express ourselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

“Stress” would be a bit to ambiguous. Like I discussed before, it is a really complex term.

I think the general question would be—does weight lifting chronically effect muscle tension?

From my research, moderate intensity exercise would be optimal for this goal. So for weights, I would do 12-15 reps for instance, if that was your goal. It should actually help relieve tension.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 02-25-2006, 01:01 AM
stillflabby should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
From my research, moderate intensity exercise would be optimal for this goal. So for weights, I would do 12-15 reps for instance, if that was your goal. It should actually help relieve tension.

[/ QUOTE ]

I absolutely agree with this. I always feel very relaxed a couple hours after training.

Something interesting I learned in a class once. If a muscle is overly tight, you can over stretch it very quickly, then relax it. This will trigger the "Golgi Tendon Organ" to cause the muscle to relax even further. The muscle in the example was the levator scapulae.
I'm not sure how this would apply, but I find it interesting.

My Journal