Research Question of the Week: A Comprehensive Discussion on Diet Induced Thermogenesis - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Scientist Department > HYPERplasia Research

Notices

Old 11-17-2005, 06:35 AM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

Default Research Question of the Week: A Comprehensive Discussion on Diet Induced Thermogenesis

Bodybuilders are continually searching for methods to increase fat metabolism. The most important variable to consider for this goal is the amount of calories you metabolize.

There are 3 primary avenues for this: Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR), Exercise, and Diet Induced Thermogenesis (DIT).

BMR is the basic energy requirements needed to maintain vital organs such as the liver and kidney, as well as muscles, which can obviously be manipulated and will greatly increase your BMR. Typically, this accounts for 65% of daily oxidative metabolism. A negative energy balance tends to decrease BMR. Therefore, utilizing methods such as carb cycling, calorie cycling, and avoiding starvation diets is vital for maintaining a high BMR.

Exercise can come in the form of resistance training and aerobics. The amount of calories metabolized from this avenue is dependent on the athletes training program, and can vary considerably.

The last avenue by which we metabolize calories is perhaps the least considered one. This is known as diet induced themorgenesis (DIT). DIT is the increase in the amount of the calories metabolized caused by eating foods. Typically, this accounts for 10% of the calories you metabolize. DIT is determined by several variables including: how many calories you eat, exercise, body composition, the type of macronutrients you consume (fat, carbs, or proteins), and also, the type of fats, carbs, and proteins you consume.

Evidence suggests that lean individuals have a higher DIT than obese individuals. It is suggested that obese individuals have a reduced DIT as a consequence of reduced insulin sensitivity and reduced insulin induced sympathetic tone stimulation and thyroid secretion.

A way to acutely improve DIT is through exercise, which incidentally, enhances insulin sensitivity. Therefore, it is commonly advised to train before eating carbohydrates, to enhance insulin sensitivity, and therefore, DIT.

Chronically, methods which enhance insulin sensitivity may further enhance DIT.

Proteins and carbohydrates generally elicit the highest DIT. This may be caused in part by increased insulin secretion. In contrast, little DIT is found from eating fats. However, this is not always the case.

Here is a quote from Venom (2003), Essential Fatty Acids - An In Depth Analysis

[ QUOTE ]
Thermogenesis

The omega-3 has the distinctive ability of enhancing thermogenesis and lipid metabolism (increased usage of fat), thereby reducing body fat deposition. Clarke SD contributes to this, stating, ‘[Omega-3s exert their] effects on lipid metabolism and thermogenesis by up-regulating the transcription of the mitochondrial uncoupling protein-3, and inducing genes encoding proteins involved in fatty acid oxidation (e.g. carnitine palmitoyltransferase and acyl-CoA oxidase) while simultaneously down-regulating the transcription of genes encoding proteins involved in lipid synthesis (e.g. fatty acid synthase) [14].'

The effect of what they are saying is this: food, as well as our own body, contains what is known as ‘potential chemical energy.’ That is, energy held within the bonds of molecules. A good analogy is to think of a boulder placed on a 100 foot hill. By position, when the bolder is on top of the hill, it has the potential to turn into kinetic energy (the energy of movement) if someone were to tip it off the hill so that it began to roll. High-energy bonds within molecules are high-energy because when those bonds are broken, energy is released, which can be used to do work (force x distance=work).

They use the term Lipid Oxidation for a very specific purpose. The organelle in your body known as mitochondria is responsible for extracting energy from lipids (fats), and using it to synthesize or build our energy currency known as ATP (refer to Adam’s tibialis article). Oxidation is referred to because oxygen is required for this process to occur (oxidation refers to an atom accepting electrons from another atom). The entire process is known as cellular respiration, because you need the respiratory system to consume the oxygen needed for the extraction of energy from these food groups, or stored energy deposits such as your own adipose tissue. Carnitine is an essential protein needed for fat breakdown, and thus, when the body encodes for more of it and other vital proteins required for this process, fat breakdown increases. Genes code for proteins. Likewise, by down-regulating certain genes which code for proteins that enhance the formation of fatty molecules, you logically slow down the process. As a result, the above effects are additive to enhanced fat-burning.

[/ QUOTE ]

Other fats such as medium Chain Triglycerides should also have a higher DIT response than other fats. For more information on MCT’s, refer to the last research question of the week, Research Question of the Week: How to Optimize Fat Efficiency in the Diet

With all these variables that can potentially manipulate DIT, a summary of the data would be of practical importance to bodybuilders. Therefore, the purpose of this thread was to engage in a comprehensive discussion on DIT. First, mechanisms by which DIT works in the human body need to be understood in order to effectively manipulate it. Second, we need to discuss the influence of obesity, insulin sensitivity, and any other bodily factors that can influence DIT. Third, once these bodily factors have been identified, how can they be positively enhanced to improve DIT. Fourth, what is the effect of the 3 macronutrients on DIT. And finally, are there differences within these macronutrients in producing DIT.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:40 AM

Default Re: Research Question of the Week: A Comprehensive Discussion on Diet Induced Thermogenesis

I am going to be writing an article on this for the next issue of JHR, and hopefully several others. This one was requested by Mike Z, the President of Champion Nutrition. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I look forward to hearing some feedback and incite from you guys on this topic. The last research question of the week went fantastic, so if we could replicate that, I would be thrilled. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:20 AM
John Black is thinking he should be ripping up the gym right now.
Light-Heavyweight

Default Re: Research Question of the Week: A Comprehensive Discussion on Diet Induced Thermogenesis

[ QUOTE ]

Proteins and carbohydrates generally elicit the highest DIT. This may be caused in part by increased insulin secretion. In contrast, little DIT is found from eating fats. However, this is not always the case.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it also true that proteins elicit much higher DIT than carbohydrates?

[ QUOTE ]
A way to acutely improve DIT is through exercise, which incidentally, enhances insulin sensitivity. Therefore, it is commonly advised to train before eating carbohydrates, to enhance insulin sensitivity, and therefore, DIT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't it then be more advisable to have a high protein, low carbohydrate meal upon waking, which would be followed by training? Would that have an effect on DIT?

The Hyperplasia Challenge - John Black's Cut
Old 11-18-2005, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it also true that proteins elicit much higher DIT than carbohydrates?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup!

[ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't it then be more advisable to have a high protein, low carbohydrate meal upon waking, which would be followed by training? Would that have an effect on DIT?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, when you wake up, insulin sensitivity is already really high, so this would be a perfect time to have carbs. Plus, you optimally would want to have carbs in the morning and pre-workout to decrease catabolism, and for energy during your training session.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

Old 11-18-2005, 12:41 AM
littleamazon is praying and loving in action, word, deed and thought by the Grace of God
National Champion

So, Gabe...are we using DIT when we carb cycle...on a low carb day?

If I have one training session in the morning and another one in the evening...how would my meal composition during the day look to support DIT?

Amazon

- St. Dominic Savio (1842-1857)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...n/Mercy50K.jpg
We must pray without tiring, for the salvation of mankind does not depend on material success, nor on sciences that cloud the intellect. Neither does it depend on arms and human industries, but on Jesus alone.

- St. Frances Xavier Cabrini (1850-1917)
Old 11-18-2005, 01:34 AM

It depends on how many carbs you are consuming. But what I tried to do was have all my carb meals in the morning or after a workout. One reason being was that insulin sensitivity is optimal at these times, so DIT would be higher. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

Old 11-18-2005, 04:06 PM
littleamazon is praying and loving in action, word, deed and thought by the Grace of God
National Champion

[ QUOTE ]
It depends on how many carbs you are consuming. But what I tried to do was have all my carb meals in the morning or after a workout. One reason being was that insulin sensitivity is optimal at these times, so DIT would be higher. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean, your complex carb meals, all in the morning or after workout?

If you have them all after workout...what happens with the pre-workout meal...and also, what happens to pre and post workout meals if you have all your carbs in the morning? How does that way of eating affect how you schedule your training sessions?

Amazon

- St. Dominic Savio (1842-1857)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...n/Mercy50K.jpg
We must pray without tiring, for the salvation of mankind does not depend on material success, nor on sciences that cloud the intellect. Neither does it depend on arms and human industries, but on Jesus alone.

- St. Frances Xavier Cabrini (1850-1917)
Old 11-18-2005, 05:05 PM
stillflabby should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

I think this explains why I typically get hot, and even sweat during/after a meal. I can feel my body eating up as I'm eating and sometimes by the end of the meal and for quite a while after I'm sweating.

This is especially true when I eat very spicy foods. I know spicy foods (cayenne for instance) increase endorphins and improves circulation in the extremities. I account this to the increased heat, BUT does this also mean DIT is higher?

I guess to sum it up, does eating spicy foods also increase DIT?

My Journal
Old 11-18-2005, 07:22 PM

Hey, Carmen [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Here is what a good day might look like for my carbs:

Breakfast: oatmeal
Train
Post workout shake
Later at night...
Cardio
Carbs

That is really all the starchy carbs I can have with my limited intake, and I feel those are the best times to have them.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

Old 11-18-2005, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess to sum it up, does eating spicy foods also increase DIT?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi

I have heard that it can, but I am not sure by how much. This is a great idea to investigate, though! Thanks. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies