Research Question of the Week: A Comprehensive Discussion on Diet Induced Thermogenesis - Page 2 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Scientist Department > HYPERplasia Research

Notices

Old 11-18-2005, 08:41 PM
should change his/her status! Edit

Default Re: Research Question of the Week: A Comprehensive Discussion on Diet Induced Thermogenesis

I love these research of the week questions! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

I guess I don't really understand insulin sensitivity real well... why is it important to increse its sensitivity?

If I had an unbalanced meal of only oatmaeal and the DIT was 10%.... would it still be 10% if you had oats and tuna? Or 20%? And what if you also had a Tbsp of flax oil? Is the percentage always 10% no matter what you eat?
Old 11-19-2005, 06:07 AM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

Default Re: Research Question of the Week: A Comprehensive Discussion on Diet Induced Thermogenesis

Hi, Trillian [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I don't really understand insulin sensitivity real well... why is it important to increse its sensitivity?

[/ QUOTE ]

Read this post,
here.

Tell me if you have any more questions on insulin sensitivity after reading that. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

If I had an unbalanced meal of only oatmaeal and the DIT was 10%.... would it still be 10% if you had oats and tuna? Or 20%? And what if you also had a Tbsp of flax oil? Is the percentage always 10% no matter what you eat?

[/ QUOTE ]

NO!

I was giving typical percentages for your entire diet. I.E. if you metabolize 3000 calories in a day, typically, 10% of that will come from DIT. However, this can greatly vary depending on the type of foods you eat.

As stated, proteins and carbs have much higher DITs than fats. The situation gets even more complicated, when considering that certain fats have higher DITs than others. So this is what I am trying to investigate. What foods optimize DIT.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:48 PM
should change his/her status! Edit

Thanks Venom, that post answered my questions!!
Old 11-21-2005, 03:31 AM
stillflabby should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]

Hi

I have heard that it can, but I am not sure by how much. This is a great idea to investigate, though! Thanks. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool, glad to help.

I'm also wondering if there is a way to trick your body into higher DIT? Maybe certain combinations of foods, or certain times of the day.

From what you said I get:

Protein = Highest DIT
Carbs = Medium DIT
Fat = Lowest DIT

But you also said some Fats elicit higher DIT than others. Is this true of the other macros? I'm "guessing" the more complex and difficult to digest, the higher DIT. Would this be a fair assumption?

If so, are there certain fats that elicit higher DIT than certain carbs?

I think it would be awesome to plan the types of food based on DIT through out the day in conjuction with insulin sensitivity.

I'm thinking meals might go something like:
Lower DIT for Meal 1, PWO meal, and pre-bed meal (pre bed so you don't burn up on the calories more quickly while fasting at night).
Other meals would be higher DIT.

Yet another question.
Let's say you have protein highest DIT and fat, lowest DIT.
Would the presence of the fat lower overall DIT when consumed with protein? Or would it have a slight cumulitive effect?

Sorry for all the questions, but this has my mind racing.
I think I'm done...for now.

My Journal
Old 11-21-2005, 10:06 PM

I answered your question and my browser closed out...grrrr. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Yes, you can “trick” your body to have higher DITs by eating meals when insulin sensitivity is higher or by consuming certain foods with highe DITs. I am not sure if there is a synergistic effect, or of other methods, but it is something to ponder.

One of my primary investigations is to see what foods elicit the highest DIT, such as whey protein combared to steak. I am not sure yet, though. But I would imagine they do have different DITs.

Your hypothesis about complex foods is solid, but I would not assume anything yet. I have to do more investigations.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm thinking meals might go something like:
Lower DIT for Meal 1, PWO meal, and pre-bed meal (pre bed so you don't burn up on the calories more quickly while fasting at night).
Other meals would be higher DIT.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like that idea a lot!

[ QUOTE ]

Yet another question.
Let's say you have protein highest DIT and fat, lowest DIT.
Would the presence of the fat lower overall DIT when consumed with protein? Or would it have a slight cumulitive effect?

[/ QUOTE ]

It will be higher, the extent to which is dependent on the type of fat you consume.

Great questions!
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:14 PM
stillflabby should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

Thank you for the replies.
How do you go about measuring something like this?

Do you take temperature readings during and after? Or is there another way to get this information.

Also, I know it's negligible, but what about the energy it takes to bring cold food to body temp? Is there a way to rule this out, since it's not really diet induced? I realizing consuming food at or above body temp wouldn't affect anything. It might not be enough to worrie about, but I know a few calories (little c) would be burned, and this would add up over time.

BTW I really like this subject, fascinating really!!

gah, I had to edit this twice to get rid of mistakes...I suspect there are more lurking.

My Journal
Old 11-21-2005, 10:25 PM

One of the most practiced—and accurate—ways to calculate how many calories you metabolize is to use an indirect calorimetry (spirometry). You would relax, and have your oxygen content measured over a certain period of time. However many liters of oxygen you consumed, just times that by the constant 5.047, and you have how many calories you metabolized. 5.047 can be more properly adjusted if you also have your respiratory exchange ratio (RER). You could compare the amount of oxygen consumed before and after the meal.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

Old 11-21-2005, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, I know it's negligible, but what about the energy it takes to bring cold food to body temp? Is there a way to rule this out, since it's not really diet induced? I realizing consuming food at or above body temp wouldn't affect anything. It might not be enough to worrie about, but I know a few calories (little c) would be burned, and this would add up over time.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would have an effect but there are not many foods to eat that are really cold, besides ice-cream. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

Old 11-21-2005, 10:28 PM
littleamazon is praying and loving in action, word, deed and thought by the Grace of God
National Champion

[ QUOTE ]
Hey, Carmen [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Here is what a good day might look like for my carbs:

Breakfast: oatmeal
Train
Post workout shake
Later at night...
Cardio
Carbs

That is really all the starchy carbs I can have with my limited intake, and I feel those are the best times to have them.

[/ QUOTE ]

So..you only have complex starches at breakfast *oatmeal* Sorry but I only see it listed a breakfast...Don't confuse me Gabe! Grrrr! LOL Now, after cardio/carbs..what carbs are those after cardio: complex, fibrous or combination? And..2 hrs after pwo shake...do you still have complex carb?

Still I need more clarification...when you say you would consume carbs in the morning...does that mean that after a specific time of the day, you switch to protein/fat meals?

So, you are not off the hook yet! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Could you please be more specific? [img]/forum/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Please, pretty please! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] LOL

Amazon

- St. Dominic Savio (1842-1857)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...n/Mercy50K.jpg
We must pray without tiring, for the salvation of mankind does not depend on material success, nor on sciences that cloud the intellect. Neither does it depend on arms and human industries, but on Jesus alone.

- St. Frances Xavier Cabrini (1850-1917)
Old 11-21-2005, 10:31 PM

Let's try this again lol...

Breakfast: oatmeal
Train
Maltodextrin/dextrose etc.
Later at night...
Cardio
oatmeal

After this, I will probably go to bed, because it is usually really late, due to the way my schedule works. Otherwise, I would have leafy greens the rest of the day. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies