Research Question of the Week: How to Optimize Fat Efficiency in the Diet - Page 4 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Scientist Department > HYPERplasia Research

Notices

Old 11-10-2005, 03:46 AM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

Default Re: Research Question of the Week: How to Optimize Fat Efficiency in the Diet

It is still unacceptable.

Muscle milk does a switch and bait. They include one good ingredient—MCT's—and the rest is garbage.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:57 AM

Default Re: Research Question of the Week: How to Optimize Fat Efficiency in the Diet

No problem, stillflabby. I hope you get the results you desire. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Hey again, book [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

1) A lot of the studies showed how a lower fat intake (such as going from 40% to 20% of total calories comming from fat) had a lower amount of anabolic hormones. So, generally, do you think fats could be upped to as much as 25-35%?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. It depends on the diet, though. I think on a cut, going around 35% would be a great idea—especially when low carb dieting.

On a bulk, you still want to include an ample amount of fats, but your percentage will naturally go down, due to higher carbohydrate intakes.

I started implementing a higher fat diet, and lowered my carbs a bit more during my cut, and I notice a HUGE difference. I have a much better feeling of well being, have bigger pumps, and my capacity to express various skills in the weight room are pretty much as good as my last bulk. And I have been cutting for over 8 weeks, am doing hours of cardio weekly, and am pretty much carb depleted. I have done this for the past two weeks, and this is the best results I have gotten so far on my cut for my energy, body composition, and lifts. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

2) When steak was mentioned I thought of how back in the day Arnold and all those bodybuilders were still eating high fat cuts of red meat and plenty of whole eggs. Are these natural sources mainly constituted of MC triglyceride type saturated fats? and junk food like Mcdonalds comprised of longer chain fats?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, steak is low in MCT’s.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:33 PM
stillflabby should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]

Yes. It depends on the diet, though. I think on a cut, going around 35% would be a great idea—especially when low carb dieting.

On a bulk, you still want to include an ample amount of fats, but your percentage will naturally go down, due to higher carbohydrate intakes.

I started implementing a higher fat diet, and lowered my carbs a bit more during my cut, and I notice a HUGE difference. I have a much better feeling of well being, have bigger pumps, and my capacity to express various skills in the weight room are pretty much as good as my last bulk. And I have been cutting for over 8 weeks, am doing hours of cardio weekly, and am pretty much carb depleted. I have done this for the past two weeks, and this is the best results I have gotten so far on my cut for my energy, body composition, and lifts.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very surprising to me. Makes me think of a healthy version of the Atkins diet. Except instead of eating 3 pounds of bacon, you take in healthy fats and protein.

I've edited this post, I asked about your sources of fats, then I remembered the article on EFAs. http://abcbodybuilding.com/efa.php

I was happy to see sardines on the list...I eat those daily. In fact, I'm about to have those now with some cottage cheese. mmmmmm

My Journal
Old 11-10-2005, 08:44 PM
stillflabby should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
I started implementing a higher fat diet, and lowered my carbs a bit more during my cut, and I notice a HUGE difference. I have a much better feeling of well being, have bigger pumps, and my capacity to express various skills in the weight room are pretty much as good as my last bulk. And I have been cutting for over 8 weeks, am doing hours of cardio weekly, and am pretty much carb depleted. I have done this for the past two weeks, and this is the best results I have gotten so far on my cut for my energy, body composition, and lifts

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand when exactly you are carb depleted. Is it for this entire 2 week cycle? Or just during the workout? I like the idea of being carb depleted during cardio though. Seems like it would really promote ketosis for fuel.

The way I read it I'm not sure. I presume it's just during the workout, as ketosis for 2 weeks could be dangerous. But I'm not sure if the supplements you take are enough to counter act the higher acidity levels in the blood.

My Journal
Old 11-11-2005, 12:55 AM

Hey, bro

No, I am not doing anything like atkins. I always have my post workout shake, which contains lots of carbs, and I also have carbs for breakfast; however, I have lowered my dosages in those meals. The rest of the day, I have primarily been having leafy greens. The biggest difference is that I have upped my fats, but I am not stuffing myself at all. A typical meal may consist of 1 spoon full of flax, some eggs, and whey protein.

Also, I am carb cycling. I have a high carb day every 2-3 days. That includes tomorrow! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

Old 11-11-2005, 01:45 AM
Endless is swimming upstream
Bantamweight

[ QUOTE ]

Also, I am carb cycling. I have a high carb day every 2-3 days. That includes tomorrow! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good planning, Venom! Can't wait to eat!
Sorry, I'm being a trouble-maker...
-endless
Old 11-11-2005, 01:55 AM

lol, I was hoping you were coming! I need your help with my forearm! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

Old 11-11-2005, 02:51 AM
Grimm932 should change his/her status!
Middleweight

hi, thanks Venom for your response. I did some research on the internet about MCTs and coconut oil and from what I have gathered it seems that while coconut oil is probably the best natural food source for MCTs, they are really not all that optimal because about half of their saturated fat is slightly longer chain (c-12) type, with only about a quarter in the c-6 to c-10 range. From what I read, this is the optimal range, with c-8 being the most beneficial. It seems to really be getting a good amount of MCTs one would have to use a pure MCT oil supplement, most of which contain 90+ percent of their saturated fat in the c6 - c10 range. What do you think? Are there other benifits to coconut oil that pure MCT oil does not offer (specifically does c-12 provide any benifits)? Thanks again so much for your help.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:56 AM

Incredible research, Grimm!!!!!!!

I am going to have to do some more investigation before commenting, but you have given me some excellent ideas on issues to look for. If there is not an optimal product for this, or if only a certain type of MCT is optimal (i.e. c8) then I could try to propose a formula for Champion to make for us. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

Old 11-11-2005, 09:10 AM
John Black is thinking he should be ripping up the gym right now.
Light-Heavyweight

I'd just like to add that any experimental stuff you guys have to do, whether it be humane or otherwise, The John Black is your lab rat. Feel free to open my head and pull stuff out if you have to, or better yet, put stuff in. haha

BTW, excellent information!

The Hyperplasia Challenge - John Black's Cut